Song of Scarabaeus by Sara Creasy

Song of Scarabaeus (edition 2010)

by Sara Creasy

Member:CryBel
Title:Song of Scarabaeus
Authors:Sara Creasy
Info:Harper Voyager (2010), Edition: Original, Mass Market Paperback, 368 pages
Rating:***
Tags:Science Fiction

Song of Scarabaeus by Sara Creasy

Awesome story, I loved the world and the characters. I would definitely shelve this with my favorite sci-fi books by Anne McCaffrey, Elizabeth Moon and Ann Aguirre. I've now pre-ordered the sequel, [b:Children of Scarabaeus|8435074|Children of Scarabaeus (Scarabaeus, #2)|Sara Creasy|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1287695515s/8435074.jpg|13298586], and can't wait to see how the story completes for Edie and Finn. Sara Creasy mentioned in an interview that there won't be a book 3 for these characters, so I can only hope she will come up with another interesting story for her eager readers soon. ( )
  camibrite | May 25, 2014 |
SONG OF SCARABAEUS is a winner. I don't usually like sci-fi, so I cottoned onto the book despite its genre, not because of it.

It's got some killer twists and turns, and Creasy set up her two leads - Edie and Finn - as opposites in every way. That makes the development of their relationship interesting as they feel one another out, and makes them a very strong team when they work together.

The plot sets off like an avalanche, and the pace is quick and exciting all the way through. But Creasy makes time for character development and backstory, too. At the beginning, Edie is abducted and her captors set a course for the planet Scarabaeus. A key event in Edie's past took place there, and the closer we get, the more we learn about what she did and why. Once they arrive on Scarabaeus, the biggest shock isn't finding out who the bad guy is. It's seeing the consequences of choices Edie made years before.

These plotlines, one extending forward and the other back, weave together really well and work as a whole. The romance element is strong, but not dominant. The writing itself is elegant, a pleasure to read, and the worldbuilding imaginative and interesting, without ever crowding out the story.

Highly recommended.
  MlleEhreen | Sep 20, 2013 |
Very compelling and believable writing when it comes to the development of the relationship between the main characters.
The plot, while interesting, lags a bit due to overuse of techno concepts. ( )
  Isa_Lavinia | Sep 10, 2013 |
Review from Felicia piqued my curiosity, picked it up from the library and devoured it in a day. Does remind me of Grimspace, if only because this first book leaves me anticipating the next. ( )
  Capnrandm | Apr 15, 2013 |
oh, this is a fun one.

in a recent discussion about [b:Pandora's Star|45252|Pandora's Star (Commonwealth Saga, #1)|Peter F. Hamilton|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1347952635s/45252.jpg|987015], a frequent complaint was that despite all the awesome new tech of the future, most of the characters acted like they were from a 1983 danielle steel novel. with that recent blistering critique in mind, i was rather primed to look for the way that imagined technology of the future impacts how the characters live and respond to a SF universe, and Creasy absolutely delivered. these people live and breathe (in a couple of cases, rather literally) the future we find them in, and the story is a great balance between the mechanics of the science and the developing relationships between a crew of "rovers."

clearly, i am a sucker for "space pirates." i thoroughly adore a bunch of scruffy han solos swaggering their way through shady dealings, zipping out of the clutches of some well-dressed bureaucrat who works for The Man. 'song of scarabaeus' certainly had its flaws (e.g., i'm leaving this shelved as "romance" solely because of the presence of the idiotic romance novel trope of some b.s. manufactured reason why "we must never be together"), but the quick-paced adventure and interesting use of technology overcome its issues just fine. ( )
  fireweaver | Mar 31, 2013 |
Turquoise and black.

Trained since childhood in advanced biocyph seed technology by the all-powerful Crib empire, Edie's mission is to terraform alien worlds while her masters bleed the outlawed Fringe populations dry. When renegade mercenaries kidnap Edie, she's not entirely sure it's a bad thing . . . until they leash her to a bodyguard, Finn—a former freedom fighter-turned-slave, beaten down but never broken. If Edie strays from Finn's side, he dies. If she doesn't cooperate, the pirates will kill them both.

But Edie's abilities far surpass anything her enemies imagine. And now, with Finn as her only ally as the merciless Crib closes in, she'll have to prove it or die on the site of her only failure . . . a world called Scarabaeus.

-- from HarperCollins.com

Edie is commissioned with terraforming alien worlds for the aggressive Crib empire when she is kidnapped by mercenaries who assign the former freedom-fighter turned slave, Finn, as her bodyguard.

Eos

An edition of this book was published by Eos.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,469,755 books! | Top bar: Always visible