Save The Cat! The Last Book on Screenwriting…

Save The Cat! The Last Book on Screenwriting You'll Ever Need (original 2005; edition 2005)

by Blake Snyder

346None31,426 (3.99)2
Member:AnglersRest
Title:Save The Cat! The Last Book on Screenwriting You'll Ever Need
Authors:Blake Snyder
Info:Michael Wiese Productions (2005), Paperback, 195 pages
Collections:
Tags:Book Group

Save The Cat! The Last Book on Screenwriting You'll Ever Need by Blake Snyder (2005)

Review originally posted here: http://emmamaree.com/reviews/save-the-cat/

A clear, well-written guide to presenting your story to other people. It’s aimed at screenwriters, but it’s also a well-known tool for fiction and non-fiction writers. A lot of the information (such as know your genre, have a one line pitch) will be familiar to anyone who’s been following writing blogs or lurking in the query trenches, but if not then it’s a great place to start.

It covers lots of essential information, including genres, character archetypes, and my personal favourite the ‘beat sheet’, which breaks down most plots into a simple structure and can be very helpful for working out pacing problems and structural issues.

Blake can come across as irritating with his every-other-page self-promotion. I loved when he pulled out popular movies for examples of genres and styles, but I got sick of him reference his own ever-so-successful films and TV ideas. I’d never heard of any of them. This would have been fine in a smaller dose, but there was just too much of it.

I think I’ll dip into this book occasionally when I need a refresher on cliches, tropes, and plot structures – but it’s a difficult book to read from start to finish without Snyder’s comments getting on your nerves. ( )
  EMaree | Feb 11, 2014 |
I loved this book. I've always thought I was a pantser, but this book has helped me create a clever way to plot. Excellent! ( )
  Toni_Kenyon | Jan 26, 2014 |
Some great storytelling tips here, whether you're writing a screenplay or a novel. The author writes with a very casual voice, making this book more accessible than some others. Recommended. ( )
  wethewatched | Sep 24, 2013 |
A good example of its kind (how-to book on screenwriting and story writing, focusing on plot structure)

It was useful for me to learn plot structure conventions, but I think you could definitely rely on this sort of thing too much.
  KenFeser | Jul 24, 2013 |
Not strictly a review, but this is my post to the PBC
http://anglersrest.blogspot.co.uk/2013/03/save-cat-last-book-on-screenwriting.ht... ( )
  AnglersRest | Mar 20, 2013 |
We've all had this experience...

It's Saturday night.

You and your friends have decided to see a movie.

One of you is picked to read the choices from the newspaper while the others listen and decide. And if you are an inspiring spec screenwriter, you're about to learn a very important lesson.

If you've ever had the honor, if you've ever been the one elected to read the film choices for a group of gathered friends...

"One of Hollywood's most successful spec screenwriters tells all in this fast, funny, and candid look inside the movie business. "Save the Cat" is just one of many ironclad rules for making your ideas more marketable and your script more satisfying - and saleable. This ultimate insider's guide reveals the secrets that none dare admit, told by a show biz veteran who's proven that you can sell your script if you can save the cat."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,503,735 books! | Top bar: Always visible