Powerful Greek, Unworldly Wife by Sarah…

Powerful Greek, Unworldly Wife

by Sarah Morgan

Okay, all of you, I don't need any of your lip about Mills and Boon. Yes, this is a category romance novel: my first, in fact. I am assured by Sarah Wendell over at 'Smart Bitches, Trashy Books' that category romances are, in fact, like any other genre of books; they have their good and bad ones. Sarah Morgan was mentioned as a good category writer, so I though I'd give it a whirl.

Hmmm. Well, it didn't really work for me either. In many ways it worked better for me than Gentle Rogue, and perhaps even better than Hearts Aflame; the hero wasn't a jerk, and the writing wasn't any worse. My problem was with the heroine: oh, poor Millie.

Millie has some sort of condition, I think. Her self-esteem is so relentlessly low that she hides from her own husband in a store, just so he won't see her without her hair and makeup done. She runs screaming from him because she's sure he won't love her once he's seen the scars on her stomach. She tearfully insists that he's whisked her away to the Greek island where they honeymooned, tried to talk to her about their communications problems, and then made tender, passionate love to her until dawn because he's trying to prove that he can sexually conquer even someone as repulsive as she is, not because he loves her, finds her beautiful, and is trying to heal their marriage.

She is not quite rational on this point, and insists on it until I was hoping our hero would stop beating his head against a brick wall and move on with his life. Instead, he badgers her until she reveals all - that her bottomless insecurity led her to freeze him out during their marriage, then assume that he had been unfaithful. She doesn't need a hero, she needs an intervenor, like the people who assist deaf and blind children to communicate.

Somehow, it was his responsibility to figure out what was going on in her head and make it all better - as if she, as an adult, couldn't possibly be expected to identify her own emotional needs and communicate them to her husband. Yes, he's a monster. Jesus. Then, she's healed at one fell swoop by his love. Hmmm.
1 vote Cynara | Jan 2, 2012 |
Leandro Demetrios, billionaire banker and the subject of a million hopeful female fantasies, dragged the 'A' list Hollywood actress through the doorway of his exclusive London town house and slammed the door shut on the rain and the bank of waiting photographers.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0373527454, Mass Market Paperback)

Powerful and proud – he’s a traditional Greek husband!

Gorgeous Greek billionaire Leandro plucked plump Millie from her farm and swept her into his glamorous world! Wrapped in his arms, draped in diamonds, she thought nothing could touch them.

But the deepest, darkest betrayal did. Her sister claimed she was expecting Leandro’s baby. So Millie ran away, distraught. The designer dresses had clearly never hidden how unsuitable and unglamorous she truly was.

Now, though, Leandro’s powerful voice is demanding his wife come home… And, to her shame, she’s willing…

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:32 -0400)

Gorgeous Greek billionaire Leandro plucked plump Millie from her farm and swept her into his glamorous world! Wrapped in his arms and draped in diamonds, she thought nothing could touch their romance. But the deepest, darkest betrayal did. Her sister claimed she was expecting Leandro's baby. So Millie ran away, distraught. The designer dresses had clearly never hidden how unsuitable and unglamorous she truly was. Now, though, Leandro's powerful voice is demanding that his wife come home. And, to her shame, she 's willing.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,552,451 books! | Top bar: Always visible