The Dark Eyes of London by Edgar Wallace

The Dark Eyes of London (1924)

by Edgar Wallace

German (1)  English (1)  All languages (2)
I was reading about the film of this name and (after a bit of wandering around online) in a random fan forum found that someone had posted an epub version of this 1924 novel. And so I found yet another mystery author to add to my list.

I was interested in a 1920s view of London and, despite the fact that Larry Holt seemed sort of American in some ways (or maybe just like some of the other American detectives I've read), there was a glimpse or two of the city here and there.

p. 102:Presently he finished writing, dropping the last sheet and slipping the paper into a drawer. Then he got up and stretched himself. He walked to the window and looked out. It was late afternoon and he could glimpse a wonderful picture of the Thames Embankment, a vista of blue bridges spanning a leaden stream, of dim spires looming through the eastern haze, of a long line of green where the trees shaded the broad sidewalk, of chocolate-coloured tram-cars that flashed to and fro — a fragment of London, recognizable even to those who had never seen the great city, or throbbed to its ceaseless pulsations, Larry Holt scratched his nose unromantically and turned a dubious look to the waiting girl.

"If you still want to go to Todd's, I'll take you," he said, "This is the hour I'd promised myself the pleasure of a visit."

The plot was interesting and the villains unique, though a touch melodramatic at the end. I did like that we had a heroine who was shown to be both clever and helpful, which isn't usual for the time period. ( )
  bookishbat | Sep 25, 2013 |

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,480,145 books! | Top bar: Always visible