Henry and Ribsy by Beverly Cleary

Henry and Ribsy (1954)

by Beverly Cleary

Series: Henry Huggins (3)

When I was a kid, I LOVED Beverly Cleary's books. Ramona was my girl. I never read any of Henry's adventures, though. I came across this book at a flea market and bought it. I read it for the first time at 25, and I liked it just as much as I would have at 9. Henry's an average kid, and although the world has changed a lot since Henry and Ribsy were young, these stories are still relatable.
  psychedelicmicrobus | Sep 27, 2013 |
Always loved Henry Huggins. Will re-read and take a walk down memory lane soon. ( )
  afinch11 | Aug 21, 2013 |
An older book that has stood the test of time - funny with situations that kids this age can still relate to. My son and I thoroughly enjoyed reading it together. ( )
  TnTexas | Mar 31, 2013 |
More earnest adventures and hilarious mishaps ensue in this Henry Huggins book. As with the introductory book featuring the irrepressible Henry, who never understands how he gets into so much trouble, most of the book is a series of vignettes featuring everyday encounters that are humorous and entertaining. This book has an overarching plot, though: Henry really wants to go fishing with his father, but his dad makes a deal with him that he has to keep Ribsy out of trouble for the two months before his next trip. This goal shapes his interactions with his dog and his friends for the remainder of the book, and the happy conclusion to his vigilant care is a fishing trip that concludes the story.

Henry tries to keep Ribsy from bothering others, but that isn't an easy job. Ribsy does attack the garbage man; of course, that's because he thinks the garbage is Henry's personal property and he is protecting it. Ribsy does get blamed for chasing Ramona up the jungle gym; the reader knows, though, that Ramona stole Ribsy's bone and climbed up the play structure to keep it away from him, and Ribsy is just trying to get it back. Others may think that Ribsy is a menace, but Henry knows that he is a good dog, and his parents know it, as well. In the end, Henry is allowed to go on his fishing trip, but Ribsy makes sure to enliven that experience, too.

Another fun Beverly Cleary series. I love Henry's character. He is the quintessential little boy, who plays football and loves his dog and catches animals. Not all boys are like this, but a lot are, and Henry is iconic of boyhood. He has so much energy, and he is good natured. His childish innocence and immaturity is a delight. When he and his friends are together, I really believe that I am eavesdropping on a group of children. Cleary is a master at capturing a child's thoughts, feelings, and actions. Not to leave Ribsy out - because he is just as big a character as Henry - the dog is fantastic. He is loyal, but disobeys when he might get some food out of it; he is sweet but bumbling and prone to accidents. The pair of them create a good story. I intend on reading the rest of the books that feature this silly duo. ( )
  nmhale | Nov 20, 2012 |
First edition
  czechmate | Sep 5, 2012 |

Cleary, Beverlyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Darling, LouisIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dockray, TracyIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lambert, ThelmaIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
One warm Saturday morning in August, Henry Huggins and his mother and father were eating breakfast in their square white house on Klickitat Street.

At last, Henry Huggins's father has promised to take him fishing, on one condition. Henry's dog, Ribsy, has been in all sorts of trouble lately, from running off with the neighbor's barbecue roast to stealing a policeman's lunch. To go on the fishing trip, Henry must keep Ribsy out of trouble -- no chasing cats, no digging up lawns...and no getting anywhere near little Ramona Quimby, the pest of Klickitat Street.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:38:11 -0400)

Henry Huggins makes a deal with his father--if Henry can keep his dog Ribsy out of trouble for a month, he can go fishing with his father. Ribsy does his best to make Henry lose the deal.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,337,101 books! | Top bar: Always visible