The Replacement by Brenna Yovanoff

The Replacement

by Brenna Yovanoff

English (119)  Hungarian (1)  German (1)  All languages (121)
I liked this book, but I was totally confused by pretty much everything. ( )
  mtlkch | Jun 21, 2016 |
The premise is interesting and unique but I wasn't immediately gripped by the story. There are times when I feel novels explain too much and other times when I feel the set-up is lacking. This was sort of an in-between for me in that sense. The description does provide some set up--yes, Mackie is definitely a replacement and he's allergic to the human world. But the story still felt like it was jumped into a bit without much explanation. More is given along the way, but as someone who does not read this genre often, a little background would have uncluttered my brain a bit more.

Mackie is an interesting, well thought out character who contends with the typical teenager problems like figuring out girls while also working to appear normal. Mackie's "condition" is not necessarily a secret; the town of Gentry has a long history of pretending things are normal while putting up safeguards to keep their children safe in their beds. The only other two characters worth mentioning are Roswell, Mackie's best friend, and Tate. Roswell is the quintessentially normal son of the most normal family in Gentry and knows Mackie is different, but sticks by his side anyway. Tate is Mackie's love interest. There's a lot of bickering and confusion, but that's teenage love for you.

Many of the scenes involving Mayhem just seem surreal to me. At first I felt like I was reading a different novel. The intertwining worlds did eventually make sense and flow more smoothly.

Overall it was an interesting read and I like that it takes a bit of a different look at the paranormal. ( )
  jennk | Mar 11, 2016 |
I didn't enjoy this as much as "Paper Valentine". The premise was interesting, but I thought the plot got hung up a lot on all the background information and lore. ( )
  lovelypenny | Feb 4, 2016 |
(audio)Writing 2.5 stars, story 3 stars. Tedious, tedious, tedious, a monotone narrator made it even more so. The story had so much potential, but it fell into a constant need for Mackie to act human. We hear him go over and over his actions way too many times. I just wanted him to shut up and get on with the story already. The world building was very interesting as was the story it just did not fit together well for me. ( )
  TheYodamom | Jan 29, 2016 |
The people of Gentry won't see what's right in front of them, they won't acknowledge the mysterious deaths of their children as something unnatural and evil, that the children are not even theirs, but instead replacements that sicken and die in the human world. All except Mackie Doyle. ( )
  lillibrary | Jan 23, 2016 |
FOR DAVID (The first one was always going to be for you.)
I don't remember any of the true, important parts, but there's this dream I have.
"Do you believe in fairy tales?"

"Not even the nice, grown-up kind where you follow all the rules and you work really hard and get a good job and a family and everything is happily ever after?"

Mackie Doyle seems like everyone else in the perfect little town of Gentry, but he is living with a fatal secret - he is a Replacement, left in the crib of a human baby sixteen years ago. Now the creatures under the hill want him back, and Mackie must decide where he really belongs and what he really wants.

A month ago, Mackie might have told them to buzz off. But now, with a budding relationship with tough, wounded, beautiful Tate, Mackie has too much to lose. Will love finally make him worthy of the human world?

Sixteen-year-old Mackie Doyle knows that he replaced a human child when he was just an infant, and when a friend's sister disappears he goes against his family's and town's deliberate denial of the problem to confront the beings that dwell under the town, tampering with human lives.… (more)

Brenna Yovanoff is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,710,230 books! | Top bar: Always visible