The Replacement by Brenna Yovanoff

The Replacement

by Brenna Yovanoff

Recently added byMaraBlaise, theoriginalbree, private library, dkgarner95, Tarklovishki, cjk203

English (113)  Hungarian (1)  German (1)  All languages (115)
Surprisingly good! ( )
  theoriginalbree | Dec 1, 2014 |
I liked that the main character was the changeling. It gave a new perspective. ( )
  Mirandalg14 | Aug 18, 2014 |
This book contained everything I could ask for in a story and more. The Replacement is an eerie book that kept me up late at night. It falls into my favorite genre, paranormal/fantasy romance, and it actually does the genre justice. My only complaint is that I wanted a little more in the romance aspect. I wasn't really sold on Mackie and Tate's romance. It's been a LONG time since I've read a book from a male point of view, and I found myself enjoying that aspect of this book a lot more than I thought I would.

I really loved the characters. Tate is my favorite because she reminds me of myself when I was a teenager. I loved Emma too, she is such a great sister and there is real unconditional love for her brother shown in this story. Mackie was pretty great too, he's a misfit and I really felt that he grew throughout the story. Roswell was such a good, loyal friend, which is something that I always admire in real life.

I really liked the whole idea of this story. I felt that it was incredibly original, which has been pretty hard to find lately. The world building was pretty good. At times I felt that I was a little confused, and I felt that the first half of the book moved a little slow for me. This is the only reason that I'm giving the book four stars instead of five. When I read the plot summary I immediately put this one on my TBR. I was so grateful to be able to receive this book as part of the traveling book program in the All About Fantasy group on Goodreads.

I don't think there is a sequel, but I wish that there was. I really loved the characters and would like to see the Morrigan and The House of Mayhem again. This was a great introduction to Brenna Yovanoff's work and I will certainly be on the lookout for anything else that she writes. She created a world that I found so fascinating, I can't wait to see what she comes up with next. ( )
  manka23 | Jun 27, 2014 |
Plot: 3 stars
Characters: 3 stars
Style: 4 stars
Pace: 3 stars

A bit slow and flat for my tastes, but I was in the mood for something a little creepy. I think if I were less familiar with faerielore and the tropes of YA, I probably would have enjoyed this more. None of the characters really managed to be more than Predictable Role Dolls, filling but never exceeding their trite positions. I never really connected with any of the characters, and without caring about them, the plot showed thin. ( )
  Jami_Leigh | Jun 22, 2014 |
Loved the first section, had little use for the rest.
Keeping it because it is useful for the changeling story I am sort of writing.
  SixSeasons | Jun 12, 2014 |
FOR DAVID (The first one was always going to be for you.)
I don't remember any of the true, important parts, but there's this dream I have.
"Do you believe in fairy tales?"

"No."

"Not even the nice, grown-up kind where you follow all the rules and you work really hard and get a good job and a family and everything is happily ever after?"

Mackie Doyle seems like everyone else in the perfect little town of Gentry, but he is living with a fatal secret - he is a Replacement, left in the crib of a human baby sixteen years ago. Now the creatures under the hill want him back, and Mackie must decide where he really belongs and what he really wants.

A month ago, Mackie might have told them to buzz off. But now, with a budding relationship with tough, wounded, beautiful Tate, Mackie has too much to lose. Will love finally make him worthy of the human world?

Sixteen-year-old Mackie Doyle knows that he replaced a human child when he was just an infant, and when a friend's sister disappears he goes against his family's and town's deliberate denial of the problem to confront the beings that dwell under the town, tampering with human lives.… (more)

Brenna Yovanoff is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,351,474 books! | Top bar: Always visible