The Replacement by Brenna Yovanoff

The Replacement

by Brenna Yovanoff

English (124)  Hungarian (1)  German (1)  All (126)
Well, this was a pleasant surprise for a book that i knew literally nothing about when i picked it up. I do love when that happens. This was also a very nice and intriguing take on faerie changelings. It was definitely not the kind that i have ever encountered before and i quite enjoyed it.
What i really enjoyed was Mackie, the main character. For one thing, can we please have more guys in the YA paranormal genre? I mean, i know it's a thing for the main characters to be girls, but really having it from a different side was like a breath of fresh air (or a breath of really dank, decaying air as would be from the story... anyway...) and Mackie was absolutely sublime. Like, this was a first person book (yes i'm reading a lot of those lately...) and i felt like i actually got into his character and ended up really liking him.
The story is based around the town of Gentry, a small town with a rather dark story. Every seven years a child is taken and in it's place is put a 'replacement.' Mackie is one of those replacements, one of them that survived anyway. Most of them die not long after they are put in the human's house, their intolerance to metal poisoning them. Mackie knows what he is, he knows that he's not really human and that the real Malcolm Doyle is long gone, but Mackie has learned to live a normal life. Well, normal enough for someone who literally cannot stand the sight of blood and can't touch anything iron. However, Mackie's intolerance is getting worse and worse and the strange bassist of the local band tells him that he's actually dying.
On top of that it's the seventh year and Tate, one of Mackie's friend's little sister was the child that was taken.
Mackie is taken to the House of Mayhem, the underground society of... well... dead things. Half of the fey of Gentry, the good half in a sense as they are not the ones demanding this blood sacrifice. The House of Mayhem is ruled by the Morrigan, a little girl who spends her time with her dead girls. The other House is ruled by the Lady, the Morrigan's sister and a cruel fey who demands the seven year blood sacrifice in order to give the town prosperity.... of a sort....
What i simply adored about this book (besides the dark tone and the dead girls. Seriously, i loved the revenants. They were one of my favourite parts.) was that both Mackie AND Tate (girl love interest) were good characters. Tate in her own right would have made a fantastic main character. This book could be rewritten from her point of view and still be pretty much fantastic. She didn't sit idly by while her sister was stolen, no, she went to the first person she thought would help her, the first person that probably wasn't human.
Actually, there wasn't a particular character that i wasn't fond of. I'm actually really hoping that there will be more books set in Gentry because even though the end resolution basically closed the story, i feel like there's still room for more. I want more about the dark and creepy fey that reside in Gentry.
I kind of adore this book. It was basically one of the most perfect YA faerie related books i've read yet. It was dark, it was creepy, it had a male protagonist who was interesting and intriguing, it had basically everything i want from a YA book. It even had zombies. more or less ;) ( )
  eaduncan | Sep 14, 2017 |
I really liked this book. I love fantasy and the supernatural and this fit into my book collection nicely.

It's a popular idea, of children being snatched out of bed at night and replaced with a monster. This just adds a little bit more to that story. A different aspect of it.

I stumbled over a couple parts through out the novel. Some things aren't written very well. But I was attached to the story so I didn't mind too much.

I also love the cover. It drew my attention immediately. ( )
  Shahnareads | Jun 21, 2017 |

I guess I was hoping for Rosemary's baby from the creepy cover. That was all that was creepy though. Nothing ever seemed to happen. I listened to the audio and wondered why The Moragen (spelling may be wrong) spoke with a heavy lisp. Just glad it finally ended. ( )
  jothebookgirl | Jan 3, 2017 |
72/150. ( )
  moonlight_reads | Dec 11, 2016 |
Mackie Doyle is an outcast at school—too pale, eyes too dark, sickly, faints at the sight of blood. He hates being different, but the thing is, he IS different. Mackie Doyle isn't really Mackie Doyle at all—he's a replacement, left behind when the real Mackie was taken away, never to be seen again. Kids have always gone missing in Gentry, but now it's the little sister of a girl Mackie likes and he's determined to get her back. Along the way he meets his own people and discovers the dark secret that links his people and the town of Gentry. ( )
  Mrs_McGreevy | Nov 17, 2016 |
FOR DAVID (The first one was always going to be for you.)
I don't remember any of the true, important parts, but there's this dream I have.
"Do you believe in fairy tales?"

"No."

"Not even the nice, grown-up kind where you follow all the rules and you work really hard and get a good job and a family and everything is happily ever after?"

Mackie Doyle seems like everyone else in the perfect little town of Gentry, but he is living with a fatal secret - he is a Replacement, left in the crib of a human baby sixteen years ago. Now the creatures under the hill want him back, and Mackie must decide where he really belongs and what he really wants.

A month ago, Mackie might have told them to buzz off. But now, with a budding relationship with tough, wounded, beautiful Tate, Mackie has too much to lose. Will love finally make him worthy of the human world?

Sixteen-year-old Mackie Doyle knows that he replaced a human child when he was just an infant, and when a friend's sister disappears he goes against his family's and town's deliberate denial of the problem to confront the beings that dwell under the town, tampering with human lives.… (more)

Brenna Yovanoff is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,449,007 books! | Top bar: Always visible