How to Cook a Tart by Nina Killham

How to Cook a Tart

by Nina Killham

I started reading it as I was preparing to give it away unread, fully expecting it to be inane. However, it's much wittier and more more entertaining than I ever expected it to be. I'm very glad I gave it a chance. ( )
  Bambamv | Mar 3, 2011 |
Sorry. I hated this book the more I read it. Mean spirited humor just hits me the wrong way. ( )
  debnance | Jan 29, 2010 |
Zabálnivaló:) ( )
  Amadea | Apr 26, 2008 |
Reading this book on an empty stomach was such a bad idea. I was craving every gourmet dish the author was describing in luscious detail. The first few chapters passed quickly, I was too busy relishing the tastes and textures. But before I knew it, I actually got sucked into the plot: Jasmine, a zaftig cookbook author whose hubby had a affair with a Zone diet-obsessed actress, found the girl dead on her kitchen floor. For the first half of the book though, we're immersed in a sharp satire of everyone in Jasmine's life, be it her detoxing husband, her anorexic daughter, her dieting-and-failing neighbor, assorted neurotic cookbook writers, and other self-absorbed characters who are defined by food in some way or other. You won't want the murder mystery to be solved, for that would mean an end to the fun fly-on-the-wall trip through foodie land. ( )
  emigre | Dec 2, 2006 |

Nina Killhamprimary authorall editionscalculated
Kotte, SaskiaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

"A delicate, wicked comedy that made me want to throw out my margarine and luxuriate in butter..." - TRACY CHEVALIER "Painfully funny." - ANTHONY BOURDAIN Jasmine March is a larger-than-life celebrity chef whose sumptuous food is so wickedly delicious that she's just been dumped by the television networks for having too many calories in her recipes. Meanwhile, her husband's having a mid-life crisis - and an affair with one of his tofu-eating, stick-insect-sized students. And her daughter is so determined not to end up like her generously-proportioned mother that she hardly eats at all. Any lesser woman would have collapsed like a souffle, but Jasmine March is determined to strike a blow for the pleasures of real food - and real-shaped women... .… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,329,348 books! | Top bar: Always visible