Aerie by Mercedes Lackey

Aerie (2006)

by Mercedes Lackey

Series: The Dragon Jousters (4)

Dreadful. It took over two hundred pages for a conflict to appear and once it had, it struck up out of nowhere. It had no connection to the previous books and made no sense. It was more like she tossed it in for the sake of a conflict, to render the fourth book significant when she could have ended it earlier. There was no build up for it and no hint of it in other books, either.

In addition, the introduction of Peri felt forced, especially since she had no character development. She appeared like the "perfect" match for Kiron, and then was flung out just as fast. The only traits I could tell for her was that she knew Kiron's mother and she spent her time as a serf. Other than that, she didn't appear to have any personality whatsoever.

While we're on the subject of tacked on characters, Letis was also contrived. Her only personality point, if it could be considered one, was to pester Peri and Kiron into marrying and moving back to the farm that might or might not be there. She could have been well developed. She could have even been medium developed. But, no, she was just a shrill, annoying voice that ultimately turned into "oh, fine, I'm leaving". C'mon, you can do better than that. We spend most of the three previous books wondering how Kiron's family is doing, if they're still alive, and then you disappoint us by a pathetic attempt at bringing her there for nothing.

A lot of the conflict between Kiron and Aket-ten also appeared out of nowhere and left me scrambling to figure out what was going on. She omitted things she should have included, could have worked to put the main plot in sooner and rid herself of at least a hundred and fifty useless pages. Had she built upon the main conflict and started it sooner, and found a way to hint at it in the earlier books, the book could have been far better. As it was, it seemed very rushed, forced, and I had to force myself through it just so I could say I'd finished the series. I had to know what happened to the characters, but by the time I got through the fourth book, I stopped caring.

This is not to say I dislike Mercedes Lackey. I love her. However, I wish in certain enterprises, she'd left the series on a high note rather than proceed to drag it through the mud. To anyone starting this series, leave off with Sanctuary and forget about this dreck. You'll be sorry you continued. ( )

liveshipvivacia | Apr 26, 2014 |
This is the fourth and concluding book in the Dragon Jouster's series that began with Joust and continues in Alta and Sanctuary, and you should definitely read those first.

The series has appealing characters in an unusual setting, a milieu reminiscent of Ancient Egypt rather than Medieval Europe as in much of fantasy. The central character, Kiron, has a strong arc in what is essentially a coming of age tale, from serf in the first book to someone here who is a leader among his people. I also liked the themes of the two lands of these tales, Tia and Alta, merging into one.

And there be dragons! Lackey herself has been involved in raptor rehabilitation, which I think helped both in the plausible way she writes of dragon raising and training as well as the verve with which she writes these novels. These aren't telepathic or talking dragons like McCaffrey's or Novik's, but they're engaging creatures--more than just pets.

I'm a fan of Lackey and particularly her Valdemar tales, but right around the time Joust came out, I thought she was showing signs of rather tired blood in books like Exile's Honor--but this series shows she still has it in her to write a gripping tale with characters that come alive and the concluding novel is every bit as enjoyable as the earlier books in this series. ( )
  LisaMaria_C | Sep 27, 2010 |

Mercedes Lackeyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Lee, Jody A.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dedicated to the RPCongress for keeping me sane.
You know who you are.
(www.rpcongress.com)
Kiron, Wingleader of First Wing of the Jousters of Sanctuary, woke from a dream that his lover Aket-ten was nuzzling his ear to find that his ear was being nuzzled, but not by Aket-ten.

The young man known as Kiron had escaped imprisonment in the Jouster's Compound in Tia on the back of Avatre - the scarlet dragon he had hand raised from the egg. He had crossed the vast desert, carrying with him one of the greatest treasures of his world: the key to taming dragons. When he reached his homeland of Alta, his bravery and special knowledge had gained him entree to the Compound of the Altan Jousters. Kiron had ended up with more than he had ever dared dream of: a family of close friends who, following Kiron's lead, each now had their own beautiful, spirited yet tame dragonet.
But in gaining entree into Altan noble society, he had also fallen in love with Aket-ten, who was a Fledgling of the magical order of the Winged Ones. From Aket-ten he had learned that Alta was being subjugated by a more powerful and less ethical magical order - the Magi - who had built a terrible weapon that could kill from afar, and would support their reign with terror.
Kiron and Aket=ten had managed to flee Alta with all the Jousters and dragons, some members of the royal family, and close friends. They had escaped to the Lost City of the desert, a place now called Sanctuary.
From their desert stronghold, they slowly increased their numbers, trained new Jousters, and contrived to free the dragons of Tia, thereby destroying the Tian Jousters' army and effectively ending the long-standing conflict between Tia and Alta. Eventually, through careful planning, they had successfully attcked and vanquished the Magi, liberating Alta.
But just surviving in the desert, with more and more sympathetic refugees appearing every day, more people to feed and house, more dragonets to raise, was a daunting prospect. And seemingly just in time, with Sanctuary overflowing, they had discoverd an ancient cliff-dwellers' city, deep in the desert.
No one knew the origins of this mysterious, primitive place made of myriad caves hollowed from the faces of the mighty cliffs. And no one could figure out why the caves of the lowest level - those on the desert floor - were huge pits that seemed custom-made for dragons' lairs. Though the primeval city held its secrets, Kiron and his Dragon Jouster army gratefully moved in and called the city Aerie.
But space was not the only issue the rebel nation faced, for combining two disparate peoples, two religions, two different ways of life, was not an easy thing to do. And though they had conquered the Magi, they had not managed to destroy all of these villianous magicians. Would the surviving Magi try to achieve through surreptitious means the conquest they had not won through violence? (book jacket)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0756404266, Mass Market Paperback)

In the fourth and final novel of Mercedes Lackey's Dragon Jousters series, Kiron, the man who had once been a dragon-boy called Vetch, has united the dragon riders and managed to rid their world of both war and magical domination. But are the evil Magi really gone for good? As Kiron tries to build a new civilization at the site of an abandoned cliff dweller's city, called Aerie, conflicts arise, and he soon realizes there is a vast conspiracy at work, which includes individuals who have infiltrated every walk of life-even his own family. Once the heads of the Magi, these conspirators are determined to regain their sinister control.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:38:45 -0400)

Kiron and his friends, established in a desert cliff dwelling seemingly made for dragons, must not only bring order to the new society, but be on guard against Magi who might try to achieve conquest surreptitiously after failing to win with violence.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,440,193 books! | Top bar: Always visible