Eye of the Red Tsar by Sam Eastland

Eye of the Red Tsar

by Sam Eastland

Series: Inspector Pekkala (1)

English (121)  French (1)  All languages (122)
I enjoyed this new to me series starring Inspector Pekkala. The time period was fascinating. I liked the new twist on a surviving Romanov family member. Pekkala was an interesting character and I liked how Eastland went back and forth between past and present in his life. It really helped you understand him as a character. I especially loved the dynamic Eastland built between Pekkala and his brother. I wish that could have been developed even more. The ending was a tad of a let down, but it does allow for the series to continue, so I can forgive it. ( )
  jguidry | Jul 19, 2018 |
First book of the Inspector Pekkala series tells how he began including his horrible emprisonment when the Communists took over and killed the Romanovs. He searches for the Romanov remains to prove their deaths and finds some of their treasure. Meets his future sidekick Kirov. ( )
  ZachMontana | Jun 20, 2018 |
Who really killed the Tsar and his family? Where is the Tsar's treasure located? In theory this should have been a realy gripping read but it never grabbed me. There was no suspense, I never believed that Pekkala would fail and given the levels of paranoia and fear in Stalinst Russia I find it hard to believe that so many people were willing to talk to him. ( )
  KarenDuff | Jun 1, 2016 |
Both historically accurate and fun to read! ( )
  cygnet81 | Jan 17, 2016 |
An interesting mystery about the fate of the Romanovs after the Russian revolution. It's pretty hard to top the true story, with all its intrigue and conspiracies, but Eastland does well. This is the first Inspector Pekkala novel, and the detective has a likeable stoicism in the face of government corruption--like the Russian Jethro Gibbs--that I enjoyed. The pace of the book (which has no chapters--only line breaks and shifts from one time period to another) is surprisingly brisk for a book where so much takes place in flashback and where you pretty much already know so much of the story. ( )
  TheBentley | Apr 17, 2015 |
The see-saw narrative is a perfect ploy for a thriller, taking in both the dying embers of the Romanov era and the wake-up call that would follow with the purges and the famines, the assassinations and torture chambers. Pervading this breakneck novel is the sense of an age when personal security was a fallacy, to be trusted no more than the medicinal qualities of the raw vodka knocked back in the taverns. This is a country that has thrown itself out of the frying pan and into the fire.

Sam Eastlandprimary authorall editionscalculated
Michael, PaulNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is for P. R.
Through blood-dimmed eyes, the Tsar watched the man reload his gun.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0553807811, Hardcover)

Sam Eastland on the Russian Buckle Front Detail Back

During the mid 1990’s, a friend of mine was present at a construction site in Russia when a backhoe unearthed the body of a soldier. The dead man was laying spread eagled on the carcass of a horse which had been buried at the same time. The man was wearing a long greatcoat, tall boots and had a thick leather belt across his middle. The clothing and the body had been preserved by the soil so that the man appeared to be partially mummified. Upon examination of the corpse, it became clear that the rider had been buried around the time of the First World War. It also seemed clear, from the fact that he had been laid to rest along with his horse, that the man had probably been buried on the same spot where he had been killed. The man’s belt buckle, which clearly showed the double-headed eagle of the Romanovs, identified him as a soldier of the Tsar’s Army. However, because of the location, which was not on what would have been the front lines during the Great War, the man must have been buried after, not during, the war. This would have placed the soldier’s death at some time in the early days of the Revolution, when soldiers still loyal to the Tsar, known as the Whites, fought pitched battles with the Bolsheviks, who became known as the Reds.

During the course of the construction, several other bodies were discovered, all of whom were similarly dressed and, presumably, had been killed during the same battle.

After the bodies had been re-interred, my friend was given one of the belt buckles as a souvenir. He then passed it on to me, and I still have it.

For every book, there is always some unexpected catalyst that sets everything in motion. Waiting for these catalysts to take hold is like standing in the path of a gently falling meteor shower. Ideas will come hurtling past, but they don’t hit you, so eventually you forget them. But then some image or some anecdote will strike you right between the eyes. From that point on, the formation of the book becomes like the making of a pearl inside an oyster. The grain of sand embeds itself inside the oyster. The oyster is not trying to produce a thing of beauty. It is trying to survive. The pearl is the product of pain. It is the same with these stories. Once they have snagged like a fishhook in your brain, you have to find a way to work them loose.

Holding that buckle in my hand made me think of the tens of thousands of people who were swallowed up in that revolution whose stories have never been told. Russian history, perhaps more than any other country, is layered with so many lies, denials, discreditations and rehabilitations that there is no one version of that country’s past. The only reliable stance to take is that nothing about it is reliable. And yet you know that the truth is in there somewhere, woven into the fabric of these deceptions.

For months after I began writing The Eye of the Red Tsar, that rider galloped through my dreams. It became an act of self-preservation to conjure back to life the story of that buckle, and of the man who wore it to his death.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:59:35 -0400)

Recalled out of exile in Siberia on condition that he solve the mystery of the Romanov family murders, Pekkala, once the Tsar's most trusted ally, is partnered with the brother who betrayed him before discovering a dark secret that he realizes should stay hidden.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Sam Eastland's book Eye of the Red Tsar was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,738,929 books! | Top bar: Always visible