My name is Mary Sutter by Robin Oliveira

My name is Mary Sutter (edition 2010)

by Robin Oliveira

Member:CaraZ
Title:My name is Mary Sutter
Authors:Robin Oliveira
Info:New York : Viking, 2010.

My Name is Mary Sutter by Robin Oliveira

The March by E. L. Doctorow (whymaggiemay)
    whymaggiemay: Both novels show the medical side of the war, from the surgeon's and nurses points of view, albeit that the view in Mary Sutter is much grittier.
    The Dress Lodger by Sheri Holman (whymaggiemay)
    whymaggiemay: Both these books reminded me of how lucky I was to be born in the latter part of the 20th Century when medicine had been so greatly improved.
    Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    The Birth House by Ami McKay (saratoga99)
    The Widow of the South by Robert Hicks (BookshelfMonstrosity)

Compelling, well written and well researched. It just wasn't something that resonated with me. Robin Oliveira has certainly done her research and it shows. Her vivid descriptions of birth and death and battlefield hospitals are graphic and not for the squeamish. War is horrible, and war time conditions in any era are difficult. War time conditions during the Civil War were abominable and are, I believe, accurately portrayed here.

The story was more clinical than moving. The historical aspect showing the early days of the suffrage movement and western medicine was fascinating. However, I never cared about nor had sympathy for any of the characters. Mary was strong and driven and brave. She just wasn't very likeable. Overall, a fascinating disappointment. ( )
  2kidsandtired | Aug 2, 2016 |

2kidsandtired | Aug 2, 2016 |
A very different perspective on the American Civil War, and an ambitious and talented young woman. I listened to this and enjoyed it a lot, will search out other books by this author. 4.5 stars. ( )
  Andrew-theQM | Jun 20, 2016 |
Received from Publisher in exchange for an honest review. Mary Sutter is a heroine worthy of Willa Cather, reminding me especially of the rural story, O Pioneers. To those who say she is cold, I found her staunch and distant, steely traits many women who stride ahead of progress have has to adopt. Mary was deeply sympathetic, and even the brief glimpses of her family members were enough for me to see them as Mary saw them. The most impactful and emotional moment for me was Mary's final trip home, and her greeting to her mother.

Brava, Robin. A stunning debut.

I am on the verge of giving this book 5 stars. ( )
  knotbox | Jun 10, 2016 |
Update May 14 - My library already has a copy of this! Yay!

Received as a giveaway here - thank you! So far this ARC is interesting, if a little dry. I'm not sure of by ability to judge because the only stuff I've read remotely like it, I believe, are Tracy Chevalier's works.

Update - Got more engaging about halfway. Definitely recommended for fans of historical fiction and anyone who interested in a smart story and meaningful characters. Well-researched; educational. Thank you very much for giving me a chance to read something I probably would never have picked up otherwise. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
For Drew, whose love and generosity never falter,
and for my mother,
who bequeathed me her muse
"Are you Mary Sutter?"
When they were younger, they played with the children of the laboring mother; when they were older, they hauled and boiled water, listened to birthing cries in houses high and low, becoming accustomed to joy being predicted on misery. This accounted for their assured nature; prescient, possessed, they would later feel at home anywhere and in the face of anything.
Mary unfurled was formidable and her family all knew it and, it seemed, sometimes despaired of it.
Mary inhaled the information her mother dispensed. Centuries of wisdom resided in Amelia's muscles. Often, when Mary asked questions, Amelia could not answer unless she was in the act itself, able to remember only as she performed. Instinct as textbook.
Mary could see him making the comparison, not unlike everyone else who ever heard the word twin in the presence of the two of them. The envy she thought she had mastered years ago opened inside her, swelling and pressing against her diaphragm, making it hard to breathe while she tallied which of her inadequacies stood out the most...
January of 1862, when Jenny was due, would be the busiest month for midwives in ten years. Farewell babies, they would be called. Three months later, in April, there would be another round of newborns nine months after Lincoln called for yet another hundred thousand men.

Twenty-year-old Mary Sutter, a midwife who dreams of becoming a surgeon, leaves her home in Albany, New York, and travels to Washington, D.C., where she is taken on as an assistant to chief surgeon William Stipp at a Union hospital, and earns his admiration and love.

Traveling to Civil War-era Washington, D.C., to tend wounded soldiers and pursue her dream of becoming a surgeon, headstrong midwife Mary receives guidance from two smitten doctors and resists her mother's pleas for her to return home.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,186,334 books! | Top bar: Always visible