My name is Mary Sutter by Robin Oliveira

My name is Mary Sutter (edition 2010)

by Robin Oliveira

Member:CaraZ
Title:My name is Mary Sutter
Authors:Robin Oliveira
Info:New York : Viking, 2010.

My Name is Mary Sutter by Robin Oliveira

The March by E. L. Doctorow (whymaggiemay)
    whymaggiemay: Both novels show the medical side of the war, from the surgeon's and nurses points of view, albeit that the view in Mary Sutter is much grittier.
    The Dress Lodger by Sheri Holman (whymaggiemay)
    whymaggiemay: Both these books reminded me of how lucky I was to be born in the latter part of the 20th Century when medicine had been so greatly improved.
    Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    The Birth House by Ami McKay (saratoga99)
    The Widow of the South by Robert Hicks (BookshelfMonstrosity)

This Civil War novel about a woman who wanted to be a surgeon was very well researched and written, but I think it included entirely too much battle information and all the amputations were a little graphic for me. Overall I liked it, but I wish it was shorter. ( )
  Electablue | Apr 20, 2016 |
Mary, a talented midwife, wants more. She wants to be a surgeon. After being turned down by schools and surgeons, she travels to Washington, D.C. eager to find work in one of the many hospitals treating those wounded in the Civil War. Back home, her twin sister marries a man she once loved, and quickly becomes pregnant. Mary’s sister and mother beg her to return home, to deliver the new baby. Torn between the dying soldiers in the hospital and her sister, Mary is faced with an excruciating decision.

This was an interesting and engaging book. Mary was very realistic, and easy to like. I did thing that the book had too many points of view. They tended to distract from the story, rather than add to it. Overall, well worth picking up. I look forward to reading more from this author. ( )
  JanaRose1 | Apr 20, 2016 |
Mary Sutter is a mid-wife in Albany and was well known and respected for what she was able to accomplish. Her desire was to become a surgeon when there were no women physicians and admittance to a medical school was unheard of. She was an interesting character and I enjoyed her journey to become a surgeon.The first half of this book flowed smoothly and the character development was wonderful. I found the second half of the book rather difficult to follow - perhaps because I'm not familiar with the battles of the civil war. It was frustrating at times because I wanted certain things to happen which didn't. Her journey took many twists - some of the almost unbelievable. ( )
  MelAnnC | Feb 28, 2016 |
Fascinating book. I loved the details about the Civil War and the character development. For many people, there may be too many bloody, medical descriptions, but it's impressive and so pertinent to the story. ( )
  Connie-D | Jan 17, 2016 |
My Name is Mary Sutter is the story of a New York midwife who becomes a nurse to soldiers of the Union Army, men who were more likely to die from infections than they were from gunshots. Mary's ultimate goal is to become a surgeon at a time when women in America were not admitted to medical schools. The novel begins with Mary’s failed attempt to apprentice herself to James Blevens, a surgeon in Albany. In a related plot, Mary also decides to leave New York due to the upcoming marriage of her twin sister to the young man Mary loves. Mary’s service as a volunteer nurse in the Washington D.C. And her fierce desire to learn the art of surgery drives the plot along with the ripple effects of war. She's eventually assigned to the Union Hotel hospital in Georgetown where she crosses paths with Dr. William Stipp. Together they try to bring order to the hygiene-deficient hospital under challenging conditions. Eventually Mary works her way onto the battlefield and learns what it means to be a surgeon.

While the novel is told mostly from Mary’s point of view we do get some chapters involving Abraham Lincoln, George McClellan and his staff that give us some background on the difficult decisions of the war. The author's research into mid-19th century medical procedures seemed very authentic. There was lots of information on the surgical practices, the filth of army hospitals and the desperation of doctors fully aware that they didn't have knowledge necessary to save their patients. I liked the character of Mary, who seemed very heroic without being too saintly. She was sympathetic but not always likable. I really enjoyed this book and plan to check out another one by this author.
  Olivermagnus | Jan 17, 2016 |
For Drew, whose love and generosity never falter,
and for my mother,
who bequeathed me her muse
"Are you Mary Sutter?"
When they were younger, they played with the children of the laboring mother; when they were older, they hauled and boiled water, listened to birthing cries in houses high and low, becoming accustomed to joy being predicted on misery. This accounted for their assured nature; prescient, possessed, they would later feel at home anywhere and in the face of anything.
Mary unfurled was formidable and her family all knew it and, it seemed, sometimes despaired of it.
Mary inhaled the information her mother dispensed. Centuries of wisdom resided in Amelia's muscles. Often, when Mary asked questions, Amelia could not answer unless she was in the act itself, able to remember only as she performed. Instinct as textbook.
Mary could see him making the comparison, not unlike everyone else who ever heard the word twin in the presence of the two of them. The envy she thought she had mastered years ago opened inside her, swelling and pressing against her diaphragm, making it hard to breathe while she tallied which of her inadequacies stood out the most...
January of 1862, when Jenny was due, would be the busiest month for midwives in ten years. Farewell babies, they would be called. Three months later, in April, there would be another round of newborns nine months after Lincoln called for yet another hundred thousand men.

Twenty-year-old Mary Sutter, a midwife who dreams of becoming a surgeon, leaves her home in Albany, New York, and travels to Washington, D.C., where she is taken on as an assistant to chief surgeon William Stipp at a Union hospital, and earns his admiration and love.

Traveling to Civil War-era Washington, D.C., to tend wounded soldiers and pursue her dream of becoming a surgeon, headstrong midwife Mary receives guidance from two smitten doctors and resists her mother's pleas for her to return home.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,250,442 books! | Top bar: Always visible