My Garden by Kevin Henkes

My Garden

by Kevin Henkes

Garden (11)

In this sweet little book, a girl helps her mother in the garden. She lets her imagination run wild and wonders what it would be like if she had her own garden. She would have flowers that could change colors, chocolate rabbits, and even a big jelly bean bush. In her world, the garden would be perfect. Maybe one day she will have the garden that she imagined. If I were reading this to my class, I would ask the children to write a paragraph about what would be in their ideal garden and let their imagination run wild. ( )
  Sierra.Coupel | Oct 15, 2016 |
I really love the story " My Garden". It is about a little girl who helps her mother in the garden a lot. While she does this, she imagines what her garden would be like if she had one. This little girls imagination runs wild. I really love Kevin Henkes use of imagination. It helps little minds grow in to something wonderful. The illustrations in this book are so beautiful. I would really like to have a good collection of Kevin Henkes books in my future classroom. ( )
  bethanygc | Oct 10, 2016 |

This book is classified as a picturebook and a significant amount of fantasy is introduced. In this book, a young girl with an exceptional imagination loves helping her mom in the garden. She helps with the basic needs of the garden. She waters the plants, pulls weeds, and chases away the bunnies so they do not eat the lettuce. Although the little girl loves helping in the garden, she wants a different kind of garden. She imagines her garden would be weed free. It would grow what ever she planted and nothing would ever die. This is where the fantasy introduction comes into play. The little girl imagines sea shells growing and strawberries glowing at night. Instead of real bunnies eating the lettuce, in her garden there would be chocolate bunnies and she would eat them.

Personal Reaction:

I liked this book. The display of fantasy is fantastic. The reader is able to connect with their imagination and run away with it. The illustrations allow the words and written imagery to become realistic. This book could be read to several different age groups from pre-k to 3rd grade.

Classroom Extensions:

1. Students could plant a small garden outside of the classroom.
2. Students could use a shoe-box and create their own personalized garden with items to grow which are non-traditional.
3. A discussion of the growing process from a seed to a flower.
4. Discuss why the sun plays an important role in the gardening process. ( )
  cwarren0123 | Sep 11, 2016 |
This was a delightful look into the mind of a child. It reminded me of the imagination I had when I was little. The colors pop off the page and there is so much detail to look at in her imaginary garden.
  katiegotur | Aug 3, 2016 |
When a little girl helps her mother in her garden, her imagination takes shape and all things become possible. Chocolate bunnies and strawberry shortcakes growing in the garden, no problem. Actual flowers and vegetables do not grow in this garden, but the imagination in the girl is astounding. A great book about imagination and dreaming. ( )
  amberloposser | Mar 27, 2016 |
For Altie
"If I planted jelly beans, I'd grow a great big jelly bean bush."

The girl in this book grows chocolate rabbits, tomatoes as big as beach balls, flowers that change color, and seashells in her garden.

How does your garden grow?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:00 -0400)

After helping her mother weed, water, and chase the rabbits from their garden, a young girl imagines her dream garden complete with jellybean bushes, chocolate rabbits, and tomatoes the size of beach balls.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,747,671 books! | Top bar: Always visible