My Garden by Kevin Henkes

My Garden (edition 2010)

by Kevin Henkes, Kevin Henkes (Illustrator)

Member:MaryConner
Title:My Garden
Authors:Kevin Henkes
Other authors:Kevin Henkes (Illustrator)
Info:Greenwillow Books (2010), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 40 pages
Tags:picture book 2010

My Garden by Kevin Henkes

In my opinion, My Garden, is a wonderful children’s fictional fantasy book. The illustrations and the language within the story allow this book to send a clear message to its readers that exploring the world around them enables ones imagination to develop an immense amount of creativity.

The illustrations in this book are quite unique. I noticed that the illustrations on the first and last two pages are within a circle. As the girl speaks about her mother’s garden and what she does in her mother’s garden are the only times you will see the illustrations in a circle. However, after you turn the first page the illustrations cover the entire page as the girl begins to describe her very own garden. The colors of the illustrations remind me of spring; they are pastel like and soft. They are also very rich in detail. I especially love the illustration that shows the girl picking jelly beans off of her jelly bean bush and collects them in her gardening hat. The jelly beans are all sorts of colors, and the main focus on the page.

I also enjoyed the language in the book. It was very clear and descriptive. I also have to add that the language helped support the illustrations throughout the story. The language enables the readers to put themselves in the mind of the little girl and think creatively. An example in the book that supports my opinion is: “In my garden, the rabbits wouldn’t eat the lettuce because the rabbits would be chocolate and I would eat them.” Such a sweet imagination this character has! ( )
  sarahbassett | Nov 5, 2014 |
Kevin Henkes uses vibrant illustrations to capture the essence of a young girl's garden. Children would probably see a portrayal of themselves in the main character, because she exaggerates everything and she expects magical things to happen. She's innocent and has a very vivid imagination - this book would definitely appeal to kids. ( )
  Nijania | Nov 2, 2014 |
Summary: A little girl loves to help her mother in the garden, but daydreams about how different things would be if she had her own garden. She would have jelly bean bushes, and invisible carrots, and the only rabbits in her garden would be chocolate ones.

Review: This is a very imaginative book; I love how Kevin Henkes has captured the imaginative mind of a child and portrays her ideas beautifully through his illustrations. I think that my favorite part of the book is the final page. Earlier in the book, the little girl talks about how she would plant seashells and grow more seashells, and then she plants one of her seashells in her mother's garden. The final page of the book is a small illustration of a seashell, planted in the ground, sprouting a root. I think that it is a wonderful way of giving hope to a child that their imagined fantasies can come true. It is a wonderful encouragement to keep dreaming.

Central Idea of My Garden: Never stop dreaming. ( )
  jlampr1 | Oct 29, 2014 |
A little girl imagines what her garden will be like if she had one.
  ashleyann65 | Jul 1, 2014 |
A young girl helps her mother in the garden, and then begins to imagine all of the fanciful plants she would like to have in her own garden (jellybean plants!). A whimsical story that will kep the kids laughing with each idea crazier than the next.
  ameliagilbertson | Jun 9, 2014 |
For Altie
"If I planted jelly beans, I'd grow a great big jelly bean bush."

The girl in this book grows chocolate rabbits, tomatoes as big as beach balls, flowers that change color, and seashells in her garden.

How does your garden grow?

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:30:18 -0400)

After helping her mother weed, water, and chase the rabbits from their garden, a young girl imagines her dream garden complete with jellybean bushes, chocolate rabbits, and tomatoes the size of beach balls.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,960,613 books! | Top bar: Always visible