My Garden by Kevin Henkes

My Garden (edition 2010)

by Kevin Henkes, Kevin Henkes (Illustrator)

Title:My Garden
Authors:Kevin Henkes
Other authors:Kevin Henkes (Illustrator)
Info:Greenwillow Books (2010), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 40 pages
Tags:picture book 2010

My Garden by Kevin Henkes

Garden (11)

A young girl loves working in the garden with her mother, but dreams of how different hers would be. Dreaming of jelly bean bushes, invisible carrots, and only chocolate rabbits.

Teaching Ideas: grow a garden with the class
  aehunter | May 4, 2015 |
My Garden goes into the mind of a young girl while she is helping her mother with the garden. This story shows how the girl imagines her own garden and how it differs from her mothers. In her garden the bunnies are made of chocolate, the flowers change colors, and seashells grow in the dirt. Kevin Henke's stories allow for the reader to use their imaginations while reading. The reader gets to visualize the little girl's garden and how she has made it her own. Imagination is so important amongst younger children and this story focuses on that. The class could plant their own garden and each student could use their imagination to decide what they want to plant. ( )
  EmilyDrennan | Apr 26, 2015 |
A young girl imagines her dream garden, one where the bunnies are made of chocolate so that she can eat them instead of them eating the lettuce, and where seashells grew in the dirt and the air was filled with butterflies. (Modern Fantasy)
  apoffenroth13 | Feb 9, 2015 |
I really enjoyed this book. It's very creative and fun. The imagination this child has in the book is fun and refreshing. Any child will love reading this book, because they too will want to imagine a garden like this! The illustrations in the book are new and bright they really speak to you. I think this book would be a great book to read inside the classroom! ( )
  jaelynculliford | Nov 29, 2014 |
In my opinion, My Garden, is a wonderful children’s fictional fantasy book. The illustrations and the language within the story allow this book to send a clear message to its readers that exploring the world around them enables ones imagination to develop an immense amount of creativity.

The illustrations in this book are quite unique. I noticed that the illustrations on the first and last two pages are within a circle. As the girl speaks about her mother’s garden and what she does in her mother’s garden are the only times you will see the illustrations in a circle. However, after you turn the first page the illustrations cover the entire page as the girl begins to describe her very own garden. The colors of the illustrations remind me of spring; they are pastel like and soft. They are also very rich in detail. I especially love the illustration that shows the girl picking jelly beans off of her jelly bean bush and collects them in her gardening hat. The jelly beans are all sorts of colors, and the main focus on the page.

I also enjoyed the language in the book. It was very clear and descriptive. I also have to add that the language helped support the illustrations throughout the story. The language enables the readers to put themselves in the mind of the little girl and think creatively. An example in the book that supports my opinion is: “In my garden, the rabbits wouldn’t eat the lettuce because the rabbits would be chocolate and I would eat them.” Such a sweet imagination this character has! ( )
  sarahbassett | Nov 5, 2014 |
For Altie
"If I planted jelly beans, I'd grow a great big jelly bean bush."

The girl in this book grows chocolate rabbits, tomatoes as big as beach balls, flowers that change color, and seashells in her garden.

How does your garden grow?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:00 -0400)

After helping her mother weed, water, and chase the rabbits from their garden, a young girl imagines her dream garden complete with jellybean bushes, chocolate rabbits, and tomatoes the size of beach balls.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,749,499 books! | Top bar: Always visible