Who Do You Think You Are?: The Essential…

Who Do You Think You Are?: The Essential Guide to Tracing Your Family… (2009)

by Megan Smolenyak

198689,199 (4.26)None

I love this book. Megan is a great author who I have seen speak on many occasions.
As always she describes in full detail how to handle the bumps and mountains in the search (for me obsession).

It is a wonderful easy to read and enjoy book. I would also recommend anything else she has written. ( )
  Ancestorgenes | Sep 27, 2013 |
I was delighted to read other reviews of Megan Smolenyak’s Who Do You Think You Are? which informed me that this is not a typical television show tie-in book. It’s packed with information and I’ve been glued to it, reading a chapter at a time so I can fully digest the contents. Smolenyak’s book is authoritative and concise, covering key elements of genealogical research with useful research information and sources (including URLs where applicable). Her examples are top notch – selecting people and names from history that most of us can relate to. Though I borrowed this from my local library initially, I bought my own copy as I can see myself returning to various chapters of this book for reference and to solidify my genealogical research. ( )
2 vote greenleaf | Apr 25, 2010 |
This has to be one of the most outstanding books I have ever read. I have read it, taken notes on web sites to use in finding information and plan on reading it a second time. I am into genealogy but this has broadened my mind greatly. And, to be able to see each of these celebrities in the NBC series is amazing. I highly recommend it to anyone, into genealogy or not. It will spur you on to find out more about your family.
1 vote pollypeppers | Mar 27, 2010 |
"Who Do You Think You Are?"

“Who Do Think You Are?” The Essential Guide to Tracing Your Family History, A companion To The NBC Series

By Megan Smolenyak [2], Chief Genealogical Consultant

Viking Penguin

2009

ISBN 978-0-670-02163-5

When my preordered book arrived, it was probably one of the most anticipated books I had ordered in quite some time!

Having been a fan of Megan’s for a long time, I already knew it was going to be good.

Megan takes us on a journey, in plain, simple language, and easy understanding, to find our ancestors.

She fully explains the “tools of the trade” for someone who knows absolutely not one thing about genealogy, other than having a desire to trace their family history. But she does it in such a way that those of us who have been doing just such research for many years, finds it a pleasant recall and entertaining! Never is it boring, stuffy or redundant.

She touches on each of the NBC series participants, without giving so much away that we are let down when we actually watch the appropriate episode. Instead, we find ourselves saying, “I’m so glad she didn’t give too much away! What a great show!”

In nine, easy-to-read chapters, Megan takes us through preparing for the search; using the Internet to assist us in our search; how to utilize the census records; using vital records [birth, marriage and death]; military records; performing research in other countries; and passing on our research through sharing.

If you haven’t purchased your copy of “Who Do You Think You Are?” yet, I highly encourage you to get one now. Even if you’ve been researching for a long time, you’re going to find some great vital information that you either didn’t know about, or you have forgotten about! And if you are new to the “genie” bug, then I can’t think of a better book to help you get started! ( )
1 vote texicanwife | Mar 20, 2010 |
Although I'm an experienced (self-taught) genealogist, I thought it would be fun to read a book designed for "newbies" to see if there's anything I could learn. The answer is a resounding "Yes."

I really enjoyed the author's breezy writing style and her ability to focus on "the best of the best" rather than trying to be comprehensive (and failing).

I plan to read the book a second time, taking notes for future reference. I read a library copy and am too cheap to now go out and buy a copy. I would, however, recommend that anyone just starting out in genealogy buy the book and keep it handy.

03/10/2010 ( )
2 vote NewsieQ | Mar 10, 2010 |
To Col. George C. Smolenyak,
for the unique name that sparked
my interest in genealogy
and so much more
Introduction
Yes, it's true that there are people who think family history is boring, whose eyes glaze over at the very mention of the g-word—genealogy. But they couldn't be more wrong, and the fact that you're holding this book shows that you're one of the 79 percent of Americans who have figured that out.
Perparing for Your Ancestor Hunt
As with so many activities, a little preparation can go a long way. After watching an episode of Who Do You Think You Are?, it's understandable that you might feel a sudden urge to peek into your family's past. For many, the first instinct is to jump on the computer, but if you can discipline yourself to do a little offline sleuthing beforehand, you'll ultimately go a lot farther a lot faster.

There is no such thing as an ordinary family. Each one has its own stories: the black sheep, the Civil War hero, the ancestors who fled to the United States, or the lost family fortune. No matter how plain you think your background is, chances are there is a saga just waiting to be discovered.

The ground-breaking NBC series Who Do You Think You Are? takes seven of America's best-loved celebrities-from Lisa Kudrow to Susan Sarandon-on an emotional journey to trace their family history and discover who they really are. The revelations are sometimes shocking, sometimes heartbreaking, and always fascinating.

With the Who Do You Think You Are? companion guide, you will learn how to chart your own journey into your past and discover the treasures hidden in your family tree. Featuring step-by-step instructions from one of America's top genealogical researchers, Who Do You Think You Are? covers everything a beginner needs to know to start digging into their roots, including:

* Full-color profiles of the celebrities' surprising revelations * Starting the search-it's as easy as pulling out the old family photos * Census information-where to find it and how to use it * What birth, death, and marriage certificates have to tell us * How to track down immigration and military documents * The latest breakthroughs in DNA testing * The best online resources to conduct your searches, and store your newfound discoveries to share with family and save for future generations It has never been easier to bring your family history to life. You will be amazed at how much there is to discover!

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:50 -0400)

This companion guide to the NBC series Who do you think you are? contains information on how to research your family history.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,597,895 books! | Top bar: Always visible