Young Zeus by G. Brian Karas

Young Zeus

by G. Brian Karas

I thought this book was good! The language is clear and easily tells a story. The tale is told rather than read and I noticed this already, at the beginning, on the first page. It starts as, "On a night long, long ago... "Please take care for my son"..." (Pg. 1). The tone is interesting and does not bore the reader. Also, the plot of the tale is very simple and direct which makes it easy to follow. The rising action clearly begins on page 2 when it says, "...unaware of the danger should his father discover him". This begun the rising action which then in turn, meshed with the climax of the story. Aspects of the mythological culture/ country of origin come through and it is obvious to the readers that this book has not occurred in present day. You can also see this through the pictures. I think the main idea or message of this story is that with hard work, you can also accomplish big things just like Zeus became God of Gods. Most likely the goal that you may choose to accomplish will not be the same at Zeus' , but in striving for what you want, you can learn a lot!
  hfetty1 | May 2, 2016 |
This book tells the story about Zeus from birth to him becoming ruler of Olympus, however, the entire book unfolds as Zeus is a young boy. He doesn't set out to be ruler of all, or lord of the heavens, he merely wishes to free his siblings from their father Cronus so they can play. The plot unfolds slowly, as the book is quite long (more than 32 pages), and has our young hero going from the mortal world to find his father, to the underworld to free the Cyclopes, and all the way to Mount Olympus to fight the Titans. Even as a young boy, Zeus' character is shown to be brave and strong, and merely wants what is right, which to him, is to be with his brothers and sisters. The language used is very descriptive and may be a little too exact for younger children, for instance, "Cronus...ate up all his babies. He swallowed them whole." Some of the illustrations may be too graphic for children, as they show Cronus eating his children and the children 'attacking' Cronus with his own sickle. The book includes a cast of characters for readers to refer to which is helpful as the story progresses and many characters are introduced.
Media: gouache and pencil
Genre: Picture book, Folklore; Mythology ("Why are there no other gods to play with?" a young Zeus asks. After he finds Cronus, "out came Zeus's brothers and sisters...five gods and goddesses of radiant beauty.") ( )
  JessicaRojas | Mar 31, 2016 |
This story of young Zeus is very cool for lack of a better word. He saves his siblings and receives his lightening power. This brings children into the world of mythology, and can lead to many wanting to know more information; a great find! ( )
  Trock33 | Oct 2, 2014 |
I think this is a great book to teach children the basics of mythology in a way they can understand. I like how at the beginning of the book there was a list of the cast also, with the pronunciation of the words next to the names. ( )
  Jordanlaine | Apr 24, 2014 |
Zeus' mother hides him from his evil father and later Zeus frees his siblings from his father's belly. Together with their good aunts and uncles, they fight and defeat the evil aunts and uncles (the titans). This is a great introduction to mythology. Could be used for a study on mythology. Also since this is a made up extension to greek mythology, I could use it to have the students study and then write their own extensions. ( )
  Trinityc | Apr 15, 2014 |

I really liked this one. I thought it was a great introduction to the legend of Zeus and how he became the king of the gods. I liked the art but wished it has been a bit more traditional. If I were teaching 9th graders, I would probably not use this book as we would use the actual myths. But, to younger readers, this is a great story to start with.

From acclaimed illustrator and author G. Brian Karas comes a witty tale about navigating family and finding one's voice-based on Greek mythology!

This is the story of how young Zeus, with a little help from six monsters, five Greek gods, an enchanted she-goat, and his mother, became god of gods, master of lightning and thunder, and ruler over all. in doing so, he learned a lot about family. Who knew that having relatives could be so complicated, even for a god?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:30 -0400)

"This is the story of how young Zeus, with a little help from six monsters, five gods, an enchanted she-goat (that's me), and his mother, became god of gods, master of lightning and thunder, and ruler over all"--Provided by publisher.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,353,200 books! | Top bar: Always visible