Young Zeus by G. Brian Karas

Young Zeus

by G. Brian Karas

I think this is a great book to teach children the basics of mythology in a way they can understand. I like how at the beginning of the book there was a list of the cast also, with the pronunciation of the words next to the names. ( )
  Jordanlaine | Apr 24, 2014 |
Zeus' mother hides him from his evil father and later Zeus frees his siblings from his father's belly. Together with their good aunts and uncles, they fight and defeat the evil aunts and uncles (the titans). This is a great introduction to mythology. Could be used for a study on mythology. Also since this is a made up extension to greek mythology, I could use it to have the students study and then write their own extensions. ( )
  Trinityc | Apr 15, 2014 |
Young Zeus tells the story of Zeus as he tries to free his siblings. The illustrator uses light hues and dark hues to accent the hero and his antagonists in this story. Illustrations that take up the whole page, with lines of text placed where they would fit let the imagination rule over the reading, like a picture book with words. ( )
  jordan70 | Mar 15, 2014 |
The first thing that I noticed about this book is that on the first page there is a “Cast of Characters” where it describes Zeus and all of his family members, which I thought was really cool and educational for children who want to learn about Greek mythology. The art goes very well with the cultural focus because I believe it was meant to look like it was drawn a very long time ago. The book discusses the struggles that Zeus faced when he was a boy, long before he became ruler over all. The flyleaf says that the author traveled through Greece as part of his research for the book, and it certainly shows. I really enjoyed his style; his art makes the reader feel like they have been transported to a different time. ( )
  L_Cochran | Jan 17, 2014 |
Tells the story of Zeus and how he became the leader of the Greek gods. Zeus was the youngest and worked to save his siblings from the stomach of their father. Great for students who are interested in greek mythology or who have read Rick Riordan's series. ( )
  AmandaPerrigo | Jun 13, 2013 |

I really liked this one. I thought it was a great introduction to the legend of Zeus and how he became the king of the gods. I liked the art but wished it has been a bit more traditional. If I were teaching 9th graders, I would probably not use this book as we would use the actual myths. But, to younger readers, this is a great story to start with.

From acclaimed illustrator and author G. Brian Karas comes a witty tale about navigating family and finding one's voice-based on Greek mythology!

This is the story of how young Zeus, with a little help from six monsters, five Greek gods, an enchanted she-goat, and his mother, became god of gods, master of lightning and thunder, and ruler over all. in doing so, he learned a lot about family. Who knew that having relatives could be so complicated, even for a god?

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:31:09 -0400)

"This is the story of how young Zeus, with a little help from six monsters, five gods, an enchanted she-goat (that's me), and his mother, became god of gods, master of lightning and thunder, and ruler over all"--Provided by publisher.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,345,407 books! | Top bar: Always visible