I'll Teach My Dog 100 Words by Michael Frith

I'll Teach My Dog 100 Words

by Michael Frith, P. D. Eastman (Illustrator)

I’ll Teach My Dog 100 Words by Michael Frith was a very cute book. I remember my dad reading it to me as a child and telling me he would teach our dog these words. I liked this story because it was a quick read, but also very entertaining. The sentences rhyme and they are descriptive. Throughout the book, the words that Frith is teaching the dog are highlighted in red. I think that is important because it tells the reader exactly what words they author is teaching the dog. I liked the idea of this story because dogs are actually smart enough to learn up to 100 words. I think it would have been a really neat idea to incorporate how you could teach a dog these words. The author says he will teach the dog silly words as well as normal words. I liked that because it made the book fun. For example, “And clean the zoo!” That’s silly because why would the dog need to know what clean the zoo means since dogs do not clean the zoo. The illustrations matched the words exactly and there seemed to be a picture for each phrase or word that the author was teaching the dog. I thought it was really interesting that the author included other people in the drawings, as the narrator was not drawn. The reader can see the narrator’s hands or feet, but can never see a face or whole body. That makes me wonder why you can see other people like the mayor or Mr. Smith. It was difficult to find an overall idea or message in this text, but I would probably say the idea is that you can actually teach your dog 100 words, but it might take sometime—definitely more than a day—to be able to teach your dog all the words. ( )
  AnneJohnson | Mar 31, 2015 |
Summary: "I'll Teach my Dog 100 Words" is a short story about a boy and his plan to teach his dog 100 words. The boy is encouraged by many people in his town who are very impressed with his dog and it's ability to perform so many tricks. It turns out, however, the boy wishes to teach his dog 100 words next year.
Review: This is a "Bright and Early Book", used to symbolize that it would be a good starting point for young readers. There are many sight words and rhymes throughout the book that will provide good practice for children. ( )
  cclark37 | Oct 13, 2014 |
Simply marvelous!: This is a classic. Funny lines, great rhymes and rhythm, engaging pictures, and an appealing main character. If a parent loves to read it as much as a toddler loves to hear it, that's the sign of a great book.
  iayork | Aug 9, 2009 |
"I'll Teach My Dog 100 Words" by Michael Frith is a book about a person that is going to teach their dog all kinds of new tricks. The tricks range from normal things that dogs do such as digging a hole, barking, and begging to silly things that dogs would never do such as painting, brushing bears, and cleaning.
This was one of my favorite books as a child. I loved seeing the silly pictures of the dog painting the underwear on the clothesline. This book is fantastic for teaching students the basics of reading. It doesn't have any made-up words in it, and all the words are relatively easy for younger students to sound out the words.
You could use this book in the classroom to have students make a list of what they would teach their dog to do. The students could also pick their favorite trick the person is going to teach their dog in the book, and have them draw the dog doing the trick.
  wilball87 | Feb 15, 2009 |

Michael Frithprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Eastman, P. D.Illustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed

Illus. in full color. Beginning readers can learn 100 different words in this story about a remarkable dog.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:32 -0400)

A youngster plans all the things he will teach his puppy.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,860,162 books! | Top bar: Always visible