Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie…

Anna and the French Kiss (edition 2011)

by Stephanie Perkins

Member:Kellyangel77
Title:Anna and the French Kiss
Authors:Stephanie Perkins
Info:Speak (2011), Paperback, 400 pages

Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins

English (261)  Spanish (1)  All languages (262)
Originally seen on
Emily Reads Everything

Since I started blogging, I’ve heard about this book everywhere. Right from the beginning I was looking forward to reading it because the cover really caught my attention. This book and the other two in the series have such neat and recognizable iconography. The heart, star and rose are instantly recognizable as symbolizing the three books in this series. I’m a huge sucker for simple and clear iconography. I think this stems from my experiences with and love of board games. Anyway, this is such a popular and well loved series, I’ve been looking forward to reading it for some time.

The blessing of being a popular book is that everyone hears about it and wants to read it. The curse is that sometimes it gets over hyped. Unfortunately, for me that happened with this book. Its not that I didn’t like it. I just didn’t think it was the best, cutest, sweetest, most romantic book I’ve ever read.

Anna was a lot like me. Unfortunately, I recognized in her the parts of myself I try to change. When she arrives in Paris, she doesn’t go out and experience the city because she doesn’t know anyone. She is afraid to go out alone. I could definitely see myself feeling the same way and that’s a part of me I don’t like. I know its very intimidating being alone in a new country but I wanted better for Anna. The nice thing was Etienne did too.

Anna exhibits what I think of as my worst quality. She also is the exact opposite of my best quality. I am forthright. I say exactly what I’m thinking. Anna likes Etienne but doesn’t tell him. This drove me crazy! The entire story is driven by the fact that they like each other and never mention it. I couldn’t do it. I would have told Etienne as soon as we became friends and dealt with the consequences.

Still, I’ve been thinking about this story since I read it. That’s always the mark of a good book. The characters were so engaging and realistic that I saw myself in them. I definitely want to read the other two books in this series and they just moved higher up on my list. ( )
  emren | Feb 11, 2016 |
I finished Anna and the French Kiss a few days ago, and I've held off on my review because I have not been able to form a coherent thought. When I think about this book, the only word that comes to mind is "cute." Seriously. It's cute from the first chapter to the very last page.

Anna is a perfectly ordinary teenager whose father happens to be a rich author of the Nicholas Sparks variety. One day, her father decides that he's shipping her off to an American boarding school in Paris. Oh, the humanity. Anna is devastated. It's her senior year! She's been inching towards dating this cute guy she works with! She doesn't speak French! It's going to be awful! WHY IS HER DAD SO MEAN?! But then Anna gets there, and she makes some great friends pretty quickly. The place isn't so bad. She finds that the students at the School of America have a lot of freedom, and the professors are almost all awesome. But most of all, the reason for her changed attitude goes by the name of Etienne St. Clair - the cutest, most charming, most unavailable boy she's ever met.

Let me be honest for a second. I don't think I've ever read a boarding school novel that I didn't like. I just love the magical atmosphere and the shenanigans and living vicariously through these kids. My high school experience, while not awful, was less than magical. Anna and the French Kiss scored some easy points right off the bat for being set at a boarding school in Paris. It scored some additional points for just being really cute and friendshippy and not delving too far into the ever-present YA love triangle.

I'm looking forward to reading Lola and the Boy Next Door. If it's half as cute as Anna and the French Kiss was, I'll be all over it. ( )
  Sara.Newhouse | Feb 11, 2016 |
A light, easy read without much substance. Although I suspect I am not part of the target demographic for a teen romance :) ( )
  tashlyn88 | Feb 5, 2016 |
Love, love, love this book. Can I give it more than 5 stars? It's my new favorite. :-) ( )
  zuzamiller | Feb 3, 2016 |
  zuzamiller | Feb 3, 2016 |

Stephanie Perkinsprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Duewell, KristinaCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vandervoort, IreneDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Jarrod, best friend & true love
Here is everything I know about France: Madeline and Amelie and Moulin Rouge.
I wish friends held hands more often, like the children I see on the streets sometimes. I'm not sure why we have to grow up and get embarrassed about it.

Anna was looking forward to her senior year in Atlanta, where she has a great job, a loyal best friend, and a crush on the verge of becoming more. So she's less than thrilled about being shipped off to boarding school in Paris — until she meets Étienne St. Clair. Smart, charming, beautiful, Étienne has it all . . . including a serious girlfriend.

But in the City of Light, wishes have a way of coming true. Will a year of romantic near-misses end with their long-awaited French kiss?

When Anna's romance-novelist father sends her to an elite American boarding school in Paris for her senior year of high school, she reluctantly goes, and meets an amazing boy who becomes her best friend, in spite of the fact that they both want something more.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,186,075 books! | Top bar: Always visible