Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie…

Anna and the French Kiss (edition 2011)

by Stephanie Perkins

Member:Kellyangel77
Title:Anna and the French Kiss
Authors:Stephanie Perkins
Info:Speak (2011), Paperback, 400 pages

Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins

English (250)  Spanish (1)  All languages (251)
For the two of us, home isn't a place. It's a person.

This book is a thoroughly engaging and captivating read. It's a beautiful, laughing, loving, book-- as beautiful as Paris itself. As a person who still haven't gone to Paris, I feel as though I'm in that beautiful city just by going through the pages.

It's quite amazing how I found myself really engaged with the book. It's a page-turner! It's brilliantly done and completely entertaining. And the characters-- wow! It's rare for me to encounter characters that are literally not perfect. I mean, physically and emotionally. Both Anna Oliphant and Étienne St. Clair are not that perfect and it just makes everything realistic. And that's what I love about this book. They also have the chemistry that makes me swoon to bits!

He is no longer St. Clair, everyone's pal, everyone's friend. He is Étienne. Étienne, like the night we met. He is Étienne; he is my friend. He is so much more.

The plotline is good and there are lots of swoon-worthy moments between Anna and Étienne. I love how their relationship eventually progressed throughout the book. Their love story is ugh-- something you can dream about forever. It's a teeny love story but it's really romantic in a real sense. Plus, it teaches life lessons that relate to family life and friendship.

After reading the book, I found myself daydreaming. I guess I'm still in a book hangover mode. :)

My Rating for this book: 5 Amazing Stars!

Book review also posted on my blog: http://bibliopearl.wordpress.com/2014... ( )
  IAMPEARL | Aug 27, 2015 |
My Thoughts :

So i heard allot of people talking about this book but i never really knew what is was about , but allot of people were recommending it , so i thought why not try it and honestly i loved it , it was very easy for me to find myself in the main character Anna and the book was so cute , i actually got some feeling when Étienne was doing cute things for her and that only happens when i'm really into the book. And ofcourse i loved that the story started with boarding schools , cause almost always the best things in books happen when there is a boarding school involved , but because i don't want to spoil allot of things i just want to say it was a very good book and i really enjoyed it and i will definitely read Lola and the Boy Next Door , and if you like romantic boarding school books i would definitely recommend you this book and it also isn't too cheesy so that's what i also love about this book. ( )
  Bookswithtasha | Aug 10, 2015 |
This was blissfully cute!!! It was such a cute read ( )
  thatgirlbookworm | Aug 5, 2015 |
I have been contemplating buying this book for just over a year now and I am so glad that I did. This book, although flawed, is a great young adult contemporary read.

At first I didn't like Anna. She came off as whiny and annoying, but she quickly grew on me. I fell instantly in love with Etienne even though nearing the end of the book my opinions on him changed a little and I began to think he played with peoples emotions too much.

I'm glad that there is a novel about Josh and Ilsa since both of the characters seemed to be very complex and didn't get enough show time in the book.

I didn't like how the one girl was instantly made the mean girl and the was no reason as to why she acted the way she did. Its like they needed to add some drama to the book so they added a typical mean girl and gave her no redeeming qualities so you automatically knew she was the bad character and you just had to hate her. It was just really cheap and tacky.

Overall it was a really good novel and I'm glad I read it. ( )
  gracefranks | Aug 4, 2015 |
So, let me just start off my review, by ranting.

I can't properly review this book without ranting, so please, bear with me on this.

WARNING! THIS RANT CONTAINS SPOILERS, SO, FOR YOUR OWN SAKE, SKIP THIS PART IF YOU REALLY HATE SPOILERS.

I have a few problems with this book, mainly because I found it difficult at first to connect with Anna. I found Anna to be absurd. Why? For many reasons:

1) She's mad because her family sent her to a boarding school... in Paris.

She's positively mad at her family because she's been sent to Paris, the City of Lights, alone with no parental supervision whatsoever, to a boarding school.

Could someone please explain to me in what ways this is a bad thing? No? Okay.

2) She's madly in love with the first french/american/british boy she meets.

He's probably 5'4 and has messed up hair that looks something like:

Okay, so I'm being a bit unfair, as Etienne was VERY swoonworthy, albeit he was a total dick .

There is no other way to describe a boy that has to string along a girl for over 300 pages, and STILL have a girlfriend. THERE'S NO EXCUSE.

3) I would have been perfectly content with the fact that Anna wasn't going to end up with Etienne, because frankly, I'm one of those girls that still believes that you don't have to be in a relationship to be happy.

I'm content with the ending, but I guess I would have liked a more "realistic" endind. Probably one where Anna finally tells Etienne that he should grow a pair and either dump the girlfriend that he says he doesn't love, or stop acting like Anna's always going to be there when he needs a quickie. And then Anna proceding to make her own life for herself and meeting a nice college guy that would actually value her

Other than problems with Anna, I have a HUGE problem with the cover.

In the cover, we see a normal caucasian female sitting on a bench. In the book, Anna is described as:

I'm so damn tired of these publicity teams thinking that it's okay to change this, because it "looks better".

Ugh.

Okay, so after all this ranting, you'd think "Wow, Marianne, I'm betting you'll be rating this like 2 stars, right?"

You see, I consider myself a very... "graceful" rater... I tend to rate on a whole range of details. I think to myself: "how did this make me feel?" "did the author write good characters? setting?" And after I evaluate all of this, I THEN decide to rate.

So, after finishing this book, I asked myself a couple of questions:

1) Did it make me laugh? Heck yeah. I sometimes didn't even laugh. I just clapped like a retarded seal and get looked at weird by my family.

2) Did I like the characters? Well, yes.

I found Anna to be... refreshing. She was not a Mary Jane. She was witty and sarcastic, and I guess that's good to see in a character. Did she have her why don't you just jump off a cliff moments? Well yes, but characters aren't supposed to be perfect.

I also liked all the secondary characters, because they actually contributed to the story. I especially liked Meredith, because... well I love her taste in music and her bluntness.

3) Did I like the story? YES.

OhmyGod yes. I don't even know why. I was completely captivated into the story and I just couldn't stop until I knew EVERYTHING. It was so frustrating. What made me keep passing the pages? Anna's awkwarness at ordering food in french? I sure hope not . Point is, I really didn't mind passing pages and pages of the dreaded teen angst , because, frankly, I was actually enjoying it.

4) Did I like the romance? YEAH.

So, I hated the love interest for about 75% of the book, but I can't deny that allthough the story was ridiculously cliched, I really loved reading the romance. It was a sort of one-sided thing for a long timem, but you couldn't help but to build up hope, just like Anna did.

So, after everything, did I like the story? The answer would be yes.

3.5 stars.

mariannelee_0902 | Jul 1, 2015 |

Stephanie Perkinsprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Duewell, KristinaCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vandervoort, IreneDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Jarrod, best friend & true love
Here is everything I know about France: Madeline and Amelie and Moulin Rouge.
I wish friends held hands more often, like the children I see on the streets sometimes. I'm not sure why we have to grow up and get embarrassed about it.

Anna was looking forward to her senior year in Atlanta, where she has a great job, a loyal best friend, and a crush on the verge of becoming more. So she's less than thrilled about being shipped off to boarding school in Paris — until she meets Étienne St. Clair. Smart, charming, beautiful, Étienne has it all . . . including a serious girlfriend.

But in the City of Light, wishes have a way of coming true. Will a year of romantic near-misses end with their long-awaited French kiss?

When Anna's romance-novelist father sends her to an elite American boarding school in Paris for her senior year of high school, she reluctantly goes, and meets an amazing boy who becomes her best friend, in spite of the fact that they both want something more.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,134,023 books! | Top bar: Always visible