Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie…

Anna and the French Kiss (edition 2011)

by Stephanie Perkins

Member:rainbowdarling
Title:Anna and the French Kiss
Authors:Stephanie Perkins
Info:Speak (2011), Paperback, 400 pages
Collections:Unowned

Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins

English (246)  Spanish (1)  All languages (247)
So, let me just start off my review, by ranting.

I can't properly review this book without ranting, so please, bear with me on this.

WARNING! THIS RANT CONTAINS SPOILERS, SO, FOR YOUR OWN SAKE, SKIP THIS PART IF YOU REALLY HATE SPOILERS.

I have a few problems with this book, mainly because I found it difficult at first to connect with Anna. I found Anna to be absurd. Why? For many reasons:

1) She's mad because her family sent her to a boarding school... in Paris.

She's positively mad at her family because she's been sent to Paris, the City of Lights, alone with no parental supervision whatsoever, to a boarding school.

Could someone please explain to me in what ways this is a bad thing? No? Okay.

2) She's madly in love with the first french/american/british boy she meets.

He's probably 5'4 and has messed up hair that looks something like:

Okay, so I'm being a bit unfair, as Etienne was VERY swoonworthy, albeit he was a total dick .

There is no other way to describe a boy that has to string along a girl for over 300 pages, and STILL have a girlfriend. THERE'S NO EXCUSE.

3) I would have been perfectly content with the fact that Anna wasn't going to end up with Etienne, because frankly, I'm one of those girls that still believes that you don't have to be in a relationship to be happy.

I'm content with the ending, but I guess I would have liked a more "realistic" endind. Probably one where Anna finally tells Etienne that he should grow a pair and either dump the girlfriend that he says he doesn't love, or stop acting like Anna's always going to be there when he needs a quickie. And then Anna proceding to make her own life for herself and meeting a nice college guy that would actually value her

Other than problems with Anna, I have a HUGE problem with the cover.

In the cover, we see a normal caucasian female sitting on a bench. In the book, Anna is described as:

I'm so damn tired of these publicity teams thinking that it's okay to change this, because it "looks better".

Ugh.

Okay, so after all this ranting, you'd think "Wow, Marianne, I'm betting you'll be rating this like 2 stars, right?"

You see, I consider myself a very... "graceful" rater... I tend to rate on a whole range of details. I think to myself: "how did this make me feel?" "did the author write good characters? setting?" And after I evaluate all of this, I THEN decide to rate.

So, after finishing this book, I asked myself a couple of questions:

1) Did it make me laugh? Heck yeah. I sometimes didn't even laugh. I just clapped like a retarded seal and get looked at weird by my family.

2) Did I like the characters? Well, yes.

I found Anna to be... refreshing. She was not a Mary Jane. She was witty and sarcastic, and I guess that's good to see in a character. Did she have her why don't you just jump off a cliff moments? Well yes, but characters aren't supposed to be perfect.

I also liked all the secondary characters, because they actually contributed to the story. I especially liked Meredith, because... well I love her taste in music and her bluntness.

3) Did I like the story? YES.

OhmyGod yes. I don't even know why. I was completely captivated into the story and I just couldn't stop until I knew EVERYTHING. It was so frustrating. What made me keep passing the pages? Anna's awkwarness at ordering food in french? I sure hope not . Point is, I really didn't mind passing pages and pages of the dreaded teen angst , because, frankly, I was actually enjoying it.

4) Did I like the romance? YEAH.

So, I hated the love interest for about 75% of the book, but I can't deny that allthough the story was ridiculously cliched, I really loved reading the romance. It was a sort of one-sided thing for a long timem, but you couldn't help but to build up hope, just like Anna did.

So, after everything, did I like the story? The answer would be yes.

3.5 stars.

mariannelee_0902 | Jul 1, 2015 |
Anna gets sent to an American boarding school in Paris for her senior year of high school. One of the features of this school is a hot boy with a British accent and excellent hair. So that plot point is fairly obvious. But in the tradition of great boarding school stories, it also features a lot of very satisfying details of daily life at boarding school, and it uses Paris as a setting very well -- hitting some of the more iconic, typical landmarks that an American high school kid would be seeing for the first time, but also incorporating a nice feel for how it is to be living in Paris. (I think there should be a special Betsy-Tacy rating for food descriptions, this book would get high marks.)

Probably a natural hazard for adults who read YA, the back and forth of "But do I like him? Does he like me?" seemed a little too long, but then again, I'm not a high school senior. Even so, the romantic parts were genuinely sweet, the supporting characters where interesting, and I got a big kick at how funny some of the quick throwaway comments are. ( )
  delphica | Jun 10, 2015 |
No-recomendado por ᴍɪᴄs

Me propongo leer de principio a fin libros considerados "malos". Mi intención es encontrar al menos UNA cualidad buena en ellos y reseñarlos objetivamente siguiendo 20 puntos a desarrollar brevemente. (Los puntos varían según el género del que se trate.)

Si tienen ganas de No-recomendarme otros libros
pueden comentar acá o ACÁ. ¡Cualquier género es bienvenido! Cuanto más variado, mejor :)
  LaMala | Jun 7, 2015 |
I adored this book! Such a fun story! There are certainly things wrong with it, but I enjoyed the storytelling so much that I really didn't mind them. ( )
  Misty-Rose | Jun 1, 2015 |
This book is like a best friend in book form. I've only recently started to read contemporary, and I'm so glad I did since it led to me reading this book. It's the characters that make it - they're so real and genuine and wonderful. The writing is also pretty spectacular - I laughed out loud numerous times. It captured how I speak/think. I absolutely adored this book. Highly recommend, even for those that don't usually read contemporary or romance! ( )
  RoseCrossed | May 23, 2015 |

Stephanie Perkinsprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Duewell, KristinaCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vandervoort, IreneDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Jarrod, best friend & true love
Here is everything I know about France: Madeline and Amelie and Moulin Rouge.
I wish friends held hands more often, like the children I see on the streets sometimes. I'm not sure why we have to grow up and get embarrassed about it.

Anna was looking forward to her senior year in Atlanta, where she has a great job, a loyal best friend, and a crush on the verge of becoming more. So she's less than thrilled about being shipped off to boarding school in Paris — until she meets Étienne St. Clair. Smart, charming, beautiful, Étienne has it all . . . including a serious girlfriend.

But in the City of Light, wishes have a way of coming true. Will a year of romantic near-misses end with their long-awaited French kiss?

When Anna's romance-novelist father sends her to an elite American boarding school in Paris for her senior year of high school, she reluctantly goes, and meets an amazing boy who becomes her best friend, in spite of the fact that they both want something more.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,927,798 books! | Top bar: Always visible