Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie…

Anna and the French Kiss (edition 2011)

by Stephanie Perkins

Title:Anna and the French Kiss
Authors:Stephanie Perkins
Info:Speak (2011), Paperback, 400 pages

Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins

English (251)  Spanish (1)  All languages (252)
Yes, yes, yes. This is how YA contemporary romance is done.

I've actually been wanting to read this book for a long time, and it did not disappoint. What a voice! Perkins is a great writer, and Anna is so much fun from beginning to end. The tone is light and enjoyable, while not failing to develop characters in depth. (Seriously! Though Amanda was somewhat cookie-cutter, I found myself pleasantly surprised at how much more we got to see of Rashmi, whom I didn't anticipate getting to know much in the beginning.) The dialogue is so fun. And all because--I mean, again, what a voice! Seriously.

Also, even though I personally have always liked height, I enjoyed that St. Clair is actually short. AKA that he doesn't look like every other male lead ever.

This is very much a romance, and it's done so well. I've read many a YA contemporary romance that tried and failed to be upbeat, but meaningful, and romantic, but not melodramatic. This does it all. I'm really not a fan of the girl-meets-boy-with-girlfriend storyline, and yet I was impressed with how Perkins deals with it. Though something I have a really hard time believing or liking is a guy who has a girlfriend sleeping next to another girl. Really? What girlfriend would find that innocuous?! Same thing happened in [b:Since You've Been Gone|18189606|Since You've Been Gone|Morgan Matson|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1377702326s/18189606.jpg|25591533], unfortunately, though I also liked that book a lot otherwise.

And, of course, the fact that French was my first foreign language and I loved my year abroad in Paris all make me love it even more.

I can't wait to read more by Perkins. I hope she writes a ton of books. ( )
  elephantine | Nov 27, 2015 |
I picked up this book because every YA reader and blogger I knew had reviewed it, and raved about it. I trust their opinions, so I knew I had to read it for myself. I wasn't disappointed! It's everything you could want in a YA novel - adventure, romance, heartbreak (ok, I guess you might not WANT heartbreak, but it's necessary!). Anna Oliphant is going to Paris! Sounds like fun, right? Except she's being sent away by her parents, she'll miss the senior year at her high school in Atlanta, and she'll have to attend a boarding school with other Americans. On top of all that, she's leaving behind her little brother she adores, her best friend, and the boy she was maybe-kinda starting something with. Understandably, Anna isn't too happy when she first arrives in Paris. Thankfully classmates take her under their wings and she grows to love the city. She even finds another boy to maybe-kinda start something with! Except there's one hitch… he has a girlfriend. ( )
  howifeelaboutbooks | Nov 4, 2015 |
Dissatisfying in the way that only mediocre young adult fiction can be.

I picked this off the library shelf because I enjoyed Rainbow Rowell’s Fangirl, and I was looking for another charming YA romance. I didn't find it in Anna and the French Kiss. The character development was lacking, and setting the story in Paris ended up being a wasted opportunity. The story relies on some of my least favorite tropes, especially the gorgeous young woman who has no idea that everyone finds her irresistible (although, I later remembered, I have actually met real-life women who match this description). By the time the will-they-or-won’t-they formula finished, I really couldn’t have cared less. ( )
  AlaynaFisher | Oct 26, 2015 |
For the two of us, home isn't a place. It's a person.

This book is a thoroughly engaging and captivating read. It's a beautiful, laughing, loving, book-- as beautiful as Paris itself. As a person who still haven't gone to Paris, I feel as though I'm in that beautiful city just by going through the pages.

It's quite amazing how I found myself really engaged with the book. It's a page-turner! It's brilliantly done and completely entertaining. And the characters-- wow! It's rare for me to encounter characters that are literally not perfect. I mean, physically and emotionally. Both Anna Oliphant and Étienne St. Clair are not that perfect and it just makes everything realistic. And that's what I love about this book. They also have the chemistry that makes me swoon to bits!

He is no longer St. Clair, everyone's pal, everyone's friend. He is Étienne. Étienne, like the night we met. He is Étienne; he is my friend. He is so much more.

The plotline is good and there are lots of swoon-worthy moments between Anna and Étienne. I love how their relationship eventually progressed throughout the book. Their love story is ugh-- something you can dream about forever. It's a teeny love story but it's really romantic in a real sense. Plus, it teaches life lessons that relate to family life and friendship.

After reading the book, I found myself daydreaming. I guess I'm still in a book hangover mode. :)

My Rating for this book: 5 Amazing Stars!

Book review also posted on my blog: http://bibliopearl.wordpress.com/2014... ( )
  IAMPEARL | Aug 27, 2015 |
My Thoughts :

So i heard allot of people talking about this book but i never really knew what is was about , but allot of people were recommending it , so i thought why not try it and honestly i loved it , it was very easy for me to find myself in the main character Anna and the book was so cute , i actually got some feeling when Étienne was doing cute things for her and that only happens when i'm really into the book. And ofcourse i loved that the story started with boarding schools , cause almost always the best things in books happen when there is a boarding school involved , but because i don't want to spoil allot of things i just want to say it was a very good book and i really enjoyed it and i will definitely read Lola and the Boy Next Door , and if you like romantic boarding school books i would definitely recommend you this book and it also isn't too cheesy so that's what i also love about this book. ( )
  Bookswithtasha | Aug 10, 2015 |

Stephanie Perkinsprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Duewell, KristinaCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vandervoort, IreneDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Jarrod, best friend & true love
Here is everything I know about France: Madeline and Amelie and Moulin Rouge.
I wish friends held hands more often, like the children I see on the streets sometimes. I'm not sure why we have to grow up and get embarrassed about it.

Anna was looking forward to her senior year in Atlanta, where she has a great job, a loyal best friend, and a crush on the verge of becoming more. So she's less than thrilled about being shipped off to boarding school in Paris — until she meets Étienne St. Clair. Smart, charming, beautiful, Étienne has it all . . . including a serious girlfriend.

But in the City of Light, wishes have a way of coming true. Will a year of romantic near-misses end with their long-awaited French kiss?

When Anna's romance-novelist father sends her to an elite American boarding school in Paris for her senior year of high school, she reluctantly goes, and meets an amazing boy who becomes her best friend, in spite of the fact that they both want something more.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,951,188 books! | Top bar: Always visible