Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie…

Anna and the French Kiss (edition 2011)

by Stephanie Perkins

Member:rainbowdarling
Title:Anna and the French Kiss
Authors:Stephanie Perkins
Info:Speak (2011), Paperback, 400 pages
Collections:Unowned

Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins

English (234)  Spanish (1)  All languages (235)
I am too much of a mush face. ( )
  lushrain | Sep 29, 2014 |
I hate Goodreads' rating system because that 3 should totally be a 3.5

Now don't get me wrong - but why the hell is Anna and the French Kiss and the rest of the series so highly hyped? Whist I enjoyed this book, I didn't find it a masterpiece, which should have been, because not a person I know hasn't given this book a 5.

It is set in Paris and the writing style manages to involve you into France. I appreciated this book, the characters, the plot, everything. I felt connected to the many character for being a cinema fanatic such as myself. The love intrest is totally attractive, even to a reader. Anna is forced to go to Paris, to a boarding school, leaving her life and friends behind. Étienne St. Clair has been going to the boarding school for a long time and is pretty familiar with it.

Something I really enjoyed was the descriptions; and the way it is, to a certain extent, a realistic story. I read some reviews where people mention how bad St.Clair is but I don't totally agree with it. People who mention so totally didn't understand the whole book premise.

But as I mentioned before, it's not as much as a masterpiece as everyone else made me think. Not much happens in this book, nothing that made me go like I MUST KEEP ON READING. Too long for its own good, Anna and the French Kiss is good, but not the best. However, I'll be reading the rest of the series for sure. ( )
  sarafwilliams | Sep 13, 2014 |
I hate Goodreads' rating system because that 3 should totally be a 3.5

sarafwilliams | Sep 13, 2014 |
In "Anna and the French Kiss" by Stephanie Perkins two teenagers that were sent to a boarding school in Paris fall in love. The first thing that comes to my mind when I think about this novel is basically slow. Really darn slow. I've rarely read a romance novel in which the protagonists that are obviously going to end up with each other, are taking it so slow that you just catch yourself mumbling "Are you guys for real now" half the time.

Perkins is trying hard to make it realistic, but makes the crucial mistake to take it so slow throughout the novel that the ending comes around the corner way too fast and is - in fact - rushed. I'm not a fan of characters that proclaim their love for each other quickly. The fact that Anna and love interest Étienne St.Clair aren't even remotely dating until about the last ten pages, just makes it worse. Even if they're friends before, nobody goes from zero to "I love you so much you're my entire world", ok, Anna didn't say that but she basically implied it when she called him her home. You're 17. Please calm down. Else the novel just didn't really interest me. All plotlines revolve around Étienne, St.Clair or whatever the hell Anna is calling him now. I just don't like how the scenes seem so forced to end in an encounter with him, when he's not there in the beginning of the chapter, he'll join. Or she'll RANDOMLY meet him somewhere.

This leads to another thing that bothers me - if you have any idea about Paris and about French, this novel is no fun. Paris isn't a pretty city. It's one of the dirtiest capital cities I've ever seen, the people are insanely rude and you just don't walk around there by foot. Who does that, walk insane distances in Paris? You're begging to get mugged there. I know it's obviously set in Paris because it's a love story, but please do your research first. I can hardly imagine how a teenager who struggles with even buying FOOD from the school cafeteria can afford going to the movies in some fancy arthouse cinema in PARIS twice a week and casually pay for all the touristic activities there. Do you know how much it costs to go up the Eiffel Tower? Trust me, you don't want to. Also, yeah ... you can't learn French in 6 months. I'm talking about the scene in which Anna overhears a conversation between native speakers in fluent French and understands everything. I'm rolling my eyes so hard right now. She can't even conjugate verbs but she understands Parisians? Good luck with that. (Plot 1/5)

I've had the impression the characters were well thought out though. Sadly I thought that about everyone besides St.Clair. After forcing myself to read 370 pages, I still have no idea who that guy is. Exept I do know now that he's got perfect hair and rushes to Anna's side like a sick puppy whenever someone takes a deep breath to say something rude about her. This is not how teenage romances work. Teenage guys aren't like that, fyi. Therefore I didn't care about him unlike Anna who was madly in love with him since the first second she saw him, obviously because she thinks he is attractive. Then he turns out to be a knight in shining armour that secretly loves her as well but is too shy to admit it. Well, not breaking up with your ex-girlfriend when you're in love with someone else isn't necessarily what I'd call the result of being shy. It's the result of being a douchebag.

Anna isn't really a nice character either which gave me a hard time sympathizing with her. She does drop her friends the second they aren't interesting anymore, like her pastime-friend Rashmi stated. I just find it horrible how she drops everyone when St.Clair only breathes in her direction and I refuse to romanticize the idea of that. Just because you're in love, you don't become an asshole and drop everything and let down everyone you know. AND if you happen to do this, your friends sure as hell won't be there anymore to cheer on you when you finally got the guy. I couldn't sympathize with the protagonists, sorry. (Characters 3/5)
I do think that Perkins knows exactly what she's doing though and she can write, she writes even extremely pleasant. But I think the paragraphs were too much, After every line of dialogue there's an internal monologue and I found myself sighing whenever I turned the page and saw that it was all paragraphs. (Writing 3/5)

Rating: ★★☆☆☆
Overall: Do I recommend?

No. There's much better YA out there that doesn't bore you half to death. I don't like for YA relationships to be horrible rolemodels and I don't support selfish characters that drop everything for love. I'm not interested in the sequels and I wouldn't recommend this to anyone. If I want a quick, fluffy read I'd rather go back to the basics and choose a Sophie Kinsella novel.

- See more at: http://thebookavid.blogspot.com ( )
  bookavid | Sep 6, 2014 |
I thought this book was really cute! I kept hearing about it, and though I am far too old for this kind of thing, I took the plunge. I was happy with what I got. An adorable romance with believable characters, which is all I ever want.

Admittedly, my BS senses were tingling for the first part of this book, as growing up in a fairly poor and run-down area gives me a natural inclination to dislike stories about people going to international boarding school. Especially people who I'm supposed to feel sorry for going to international boarding school. But the setting was novel and wonderful, and I loved all the descriptions of what the characters did in Paris. Way to take advantage of the city!

I really liked Anna and St. Clair a lot, and I liked what they had going on for pretty much the entire book. But as someone below points out, I hate that the main conflict at the end pretty much comes back to St. Clair having a girlfriend... because it seems a little jarring and out-of-character for that to be a thing at that point. And everyone seems to blame Anna for what happens at the end, and she accepts and fixes it... admittedly, she could've used that advice concerning her Atlanta relationships, but it didn't work for me when applied to the situation at the end of the book.

Great book, crashed a little bit at the end for me, but I still loved it. Will probably read the other books by the same author very, very soon. ( )
  ConnieJo | Aug 26, 2014 |

Stephanie Perkinsprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Duewell, KristinaCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vandervoort, IreneDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Jarrod, best friend & true love
Here is everything I know about France: Madeline and Amelie and Moulin Rouge.
I wish friends held hands more often, like the children I see on the streets sometimes. I'm not sure why we have to grow up and get embarrassed about it.

From Goodreads.com

Anna was looking forward to her senior year in Atlanta, where she has a great job, a loyal best friend, and a crush on the verge of becoming more. So she's less than thrilled about being shipped off to boarding school in Paris — until she meets Étienne St. Clair. Smart, charming, beautiful, Étienne has it all . . . including a serious girlfriend.

But in the City of Light, wishes have a way of coming true. Will a year of romantic near-misses end with their long-awaited French kiss? Stephanie Perkins keeps the romantic tension crackling and the attraction high in a debut guaranteed to make toes tingle and hearts melt.

When Anna's romance-novelist father sends her to an elite American boarding school in Paris for her senior year of high school, she reluctantly goes, and meets an amazing boy who becomes her best friend, in spite of the fact that they both want something more.… (more)

344 wanted4 pay2 pay

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,987,595 books! | Top bar: Always visible