Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie…

Anna and the French Kiss (edition 2011)

by Stephanie Perkins

Member:rainbowdarling
Title:Anna and the French Kiss
Authors:Stephanie Perkins
Info:Speak (2011), Paperback, 400 pages
Collections:Unowned

Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins

English (279)  Spanish (1)  All (280)
"For the two of us, home isn't a place. It's a person. And we're finally home."

I am actually giving this about 3.5 stars. I really enjoyed it and I agree with others that you will quickly find yourself flying through the story.

This is a book about young love and you are put through a roller-coaster of teenage emotions. At times, some of this was repetitive and annoying, but then again it is about teenagers and was pretty realistic. One moment the character was on cloud 9, and the next not knowing what she was living for. How is that for real life with a teenage girl?

I will say, this did keep my interest and the writing had a great flow to it. This was the first Stephanie Perkins book I have read, and I will continue to read the rest of the series. ( )
  SimplyKelina | Dec 30, 2016 |
“Here is everything I know about France: Madeline and Amélie and Moulin Rouge. The Eiffel Tower and the Arc de Triomphe, although I have no idea what the function of either actually is. Napoleon, Marie Antoinette, and a lot of kings with the name Louis. I’m not sure what they did either, but I think it has something to do with the French Revolution, which has something to do with Bastille Day.”

Thus begins Anna and the French Kiss; the witty tale of Anna, a rich little poor girl, whose daddy - an author with a formulaic plot that usually involves people falling in love, contracting a life-threatening diseases and dying - sends her to Paris for school, to impress his wealthy friends.

Anna doesn’t want to be shipped away to Paris during her senior year, so, in true teenage spirit,* she throws a tantrum; a rather useless one as the story opens up with Anna in Paris, knowing next to nothing about the place in which she has to spend an entire year. She is a girl of privilege, attending a prestigious school in a city that many people love, yet she doesn’t try to learn anything useful about her new home, I found this slightly disturbing.

The biggest thing Anna has going for her is her wit and her funny narrative, which makes her character endearing. I think, without these, she might have come off a bit abrasive.

Through Anna, we are introduced to her new friends and love interest - Étienne, who is suppose to be shorter than Anna, even though she mistakes him for a wall when she walks into him in the very beginning of the story. We are also introduced to the school, then slowly to Paris, when Anna is practically dragged from the dorms by Étienne for a night around town.

Stephanie Perkins isn’t very descriptive in Anna’s exploration of Paris; and while it is primarily a love story, a little more description of Paris would have been perfect; after-all, it is the City of Love. We do, however, get to see a lot of Étienne’s hair, and eyes, and the things he says and the strange things he does.

I found it a little ironic that Anna’s story contained similar elements as her father’s bestseller novels (which she hated). Anna and the French Kiss is a book for the hopeless romantic, unfortunately, I’m not a hopeless romantic, but if you are you’ll definitely enjoy the witty prose.

*generalization of course ( )
  iShanella | Dec 2, 2016 |
amazing. so cute and lovely. can't wait to read the rest. ( )
  miss_booklion | Nov 6, 2016 |
Ok, I have to admit, this book was cute. A boarding school in Paris, a British-French-American love interest, references to movies classic and modern. That was good. But maybe I have aged out of high school romance books or something. Some of the feelings and writing felt too cheesy. The 1st person really grated as well. I had been getting used to it by reading so much other YA. But this was annoying. Too bad, I can see why people like this book. It had real conflict, both in the romance and in the friendship department. And in the family department. My favorite parts of the book were when the characters had to negotiate the changing relationships with their parents as they become independent adults.

His book was cute. If you don't mind cheesy highschool romantic description, then this book is great! ( )
  jlharmon | Nov 3, 2016 |
Originally read: 2014
Reread: Early 2016

I didn't appreciate this book the first time around. I didn't care for contemporary and thought it was boring. After rereading nearly two years later and finishing the whole series, I can whole heartedly say this is now one of my favorite contemporary series! Anna and St Clair are one of my favorite OTPs. ( )
  leahlo89 | Nov 2, 2016 |

Stephanie Perkinsprimary authorall editionscalculated
Duewell, KristinaCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vandervoort, IreneDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Jarrod, best friend & true love
Here is everything I know about France: Madeline and Amelie and Moulin Rouge.
I wish friends held hands more often, like the children I see on the streets sometimes. I'm not sure why we have to grow up and get embarrassed about it.

Anna was looking forward to her senior year in Atlanta, where she has a great job, a loyal best friend, and a crush on the verge of becoming more. So she's less than thrilled about being shipped off to boarding school in Paris — until she meets Étienne St. Clair. Smart, charming, beautiful, Étienne has it all . . . including a serious girlfriend.

But in the City of Light, wishes have a way of coming true. Will a year of romantic near-misses end with their long-awaited French kiss?

When Anna's romance-novelist father sends her to an elite American boarding school in Paris for her senior year of high school, she reluctantly goes, and meets an amazing boy who becomes her best friend, in spite of the fact that they both want something more.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 111,641,045 books! | Top bar: Always visible