Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie…

Anna and the French Kiss (edition 2011)

by Stephanie Perkins

Member:rainbowdarling
Title:Anna and the French Kiss
Authors:Stephanie Perkins
Info:Speak (2011), Paperback, 400 pages
Collections:Unowned

Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins

English (222)  Spanish (1)  All languages (223)
"Anna and the French Kiss" By Stephanie Perkins

Stars: 5

Anna is excited to begin her senior year in Atlanta, she's looking forward to prom, hanging out with her best friend and seeing if there's a spark between her and her current crush.

However those expectations are shattered when her father announces that instead of staying home with family and friends she is being shipped off to France for her senior year.

Feeling alone and like an outsider Anna is less than thrilled and is intimidated by the city of lights. She doesn't speak the language and she is too scared to venture beyond the walls of her boarding school.

Cue Etienne St. Clair, he's charismatic, drop dead gorgeous and of course speaks fluent french.

Anna is intrigued by him and what starts off as a friendship soon starts to cross over into a budding romance.

That is until Anna learns of St. Clair's older, sophisticated, beautiful girlfriend.

Struggling with trying to fit in both in France and in her new circle of friends Anna discovers that maybe it's not where you are, but who you're with that matters.

I fell in love with this book instantly, from the first page I was head over heels, butterflies in the stomach, head in the clouds infatuated.

I loved every detail. From the characters to the setting to the writing style.

It felt to me like Sarah Dessen and Gayle Forman got together and wrote Anna's story.

I'm now and will forever be a fan of Stephanie Perkins.

Until next time,
Ginger ( )
  Ginger_reader22 | Jul 27, 2014 |
12/9/12~Just a little side note:

Ok, I was reading the first couple of pages, just to see if it would keep my interest...The one thing that stopped floored me was...We have the same last name!!...I was like Wow! Anna Oliphant...I mean...OMG...Really?!?! I had to show my kids! lol....Now, in the USA, Oliphant is a rare last name. So, when I see it, I get happy! Yes, I love my last name. Yes, I got jokes about my last name, but oh well...I just feel like Im unique to have a different last name...Like others with unique, rare, last names :-)

No, i have yet to really get into this book, but it is the next on my TBR list. I just wanted to say how excited I am to read a book with my last name in it!!

I really do hope I like this book and get read all the way through it! :-)

______________________________

12/10/12~An extra little side note.

Okay, now, we all got the part about our last names...But, as I continue to read on...I realize that her best friends name is Bridgette...Well, um...yeah...my name is Bridget..just without the extra T and E....And I had a best friend named Anna growing up..Which, we are still friends today, almost 30 years later. When her friend sends her an email, part of her name [Anna] in the email is elephant, which, if anyone knows any Oliphant's, or is one, you will know that, that is what we get called as a beyond lame and stupid joke...But I digress.

Another thing? My brother and son's names? Christopher!!

Sigh...

Well. I think that's all of the coincidences for now. And so far, I am enjoying this book. There's at least one thing that makes me laugh on almost every page thus far...But, I will come back and do a review when I finish this book. Hopefully I won't begin to get bored after I get 100 pages in like I have been with many books I've been reading lately.
___________________________________

Final Edit & Review

Cover~3/5
It just doesn't do it for me...I don't know what it is. I just can't get into the cover. I wish they had shown the guys face too. The cover isn't horrible but it could have been better in my personal opinion.

I wasn't sure I would even like this book when I picked it up and began reading it. The first chapter was kind of iffy for me...But I continued on and I am so glad I did.

Stephanie Perkins is beyond funny. On almost every page I would laugh about something she has her characters say or do. And I love the main characters. If St. Clair wasn't so young, he would be my fictional boyfriend, but I would want him with a Scottish or Irish accent...lol..

She has a message in her book that you don't see until the last 100 pages or so...

I had so much more to say about this book when I finished it, but when you have kids that take over your computer (the only one at the moment)...And you have to wait 2 days to do the review, well, you're bound to forget some things...And I don't write down what I think because I want to just enjoy the book & when I do actually do a review, I want the thoughts to just come to me...

But, the book is a 5/5 for me...And just hilarious!!

Anyone who likes YA and/or Romantic Comedies...Then this book is worth reading and looking into...

MsBridgetReads | Jul 8, 2014 |

This book is awesome! My sister borrowed this book from the library. After she finished the book she told me it was amazing! I knew I had to read it. Last summer my family and I went to New Hampshire and the bookstore had this and Lola. My sister and I knew we had to get both books. After we bought the books, I read Anna and loved it. OMG!! This book is amazing!! The author is so talented, she did everything right. I wasn't even bored at all!! She is my new favorite author. This book is so amazing it kept me smiling for a while after I finished it. Normally books don't make me this happy. I read the second book and loved it too! Oh my, if you haven't read this book yet, you have to go pick it up now, I'm not kidding!! Buy it now!! Five stars! I don't have to explain why this book was amazing. If you read the book, you will understand why its amazing!! ( )
  stephanie.dicesare.7 | Jun 25, 2014 |
There were several roadblocks that I had to get over to even read this book. One, while I’ve been expanding my reading horizons and reading a lot more contemporary books the past few months(and really enjoying them), I’m still a bit iffy on contemporary romance. Two, this book’s title and cover were just a little too cheesy for me to take. However, there have been so many positive reviews for Anna and the French Kiss, and when you add the fact it’s set in Paris, it seemed like a book I might check out after all. In the end, I discovered my biggest hurdle to loving this book: Anna herself.

To put it simply, I don’t connect with Anna in the slightest. I don’t remember the last time I read such a whiny heroine. She complains about being sent to Paris to go to school! At first, I overlooked this, because while I would gladly jump at the chance to study in Paris, I could understand how initially being sent away would be frustrating. Anna’s starting her senior year, and going to a new school, no matter where it’s located, would be a really tough transition that late into high school. I get that. But it never really gets better. Even halfway through the school year, she’s complaining about being “stuck” in Paris. She complains at length about her parents, when other students around her have family situations that are much worse. Anna’s parents have some faults, yes, but I never doubted they cared about her. I can’t say the same for the few other parents we saw glimpses of throughout the novel. She complains about her schoolwork(and honestly, to me, her school sounds awesome! I would love to learn there). She complains about boys. You get the picture.

Other than Anna, I really liked this book. With another main character, this could have potentially been a 5 star read for me. Even though I don’t think St.Clair is the best YA male lead ever, like I thought I would before reading, I do like him. He has his own share of faults(believe me), but his character also made a lot of sense. Even though the story is told from Anna’s point of view, I feel like I had a much better grasp on St. Clair’s motives than I ever did on Anna’s.

Even though the ending is really cheesy, it’s definitely cute and fitting. I really liked how the romance between St.Clair and Anna developed. No case of instalove here! They definitely start as friends before they even become something more. Even though most of the conflicts that popped up throughout the novel could have been solved(thus cutting the novel in half), if the two had actually just talked things out, I understand why the plot developed as it did. There’s just so many factors going into the situation that I think neither Anna nor St. Clair wanted to say something and potentially ruin their friendship.

Final Impression: While I really loved the setting of this book(Paris!), and enjoyed the basic story line, I had a lot of trouble getting over Anna’s character. I found her to be annoying and it hampered my liking of this book quite a bit. I think with a different main character this book could have been a 5 star read for me, but as it is, I’m giving it a (weak) 3/5 stars.

Reviews originally posted on my blog at Book.Blog.Bake. ( )
  Stormydawnc | Jun 23, 2014 |
Ok, so I am more of a newbie when it comes to YA compared to most people. I say this because I haven't even been reading YA for a full year yet. I used to read nothing but Adult contemp romances. I loved that they were steamy without all the New Adult graphics (come on everyone knows what I'm talkin' about with all that NA craziness). Any who, I was never into YA contemporary novels. I don't exactly know why since I read a lot of paranormal/dystopian/fantasy YA romance novels. My point is lately I have been on a YA contemporary kick and I am really enjoying it.

I recently read Anna and the French Kiss (I know, why have I waited so long?!?!) and I REALLY liked it, probably my favorite book this month!

So a bit about this wonderful little book!
Anna is sent away to go to school in Paris by her father who is this big time author whom walked out on the family when he made it big. Going to Paris sounds like a dream come true to me, but for Anna it is the end of the world. She has to leave her best friend, her family, the cute boy who has finally showed interest in her, and the worst part is she gets NO say in the matter. The decision was made for her by her dad. Blah. So she meets Mer her next door neighbor in the dorms who introduces Anna to her group of friends and from there we get to see all sorts of relationships form!

This book is a much slower paced book than I am used to, but still incredibly enjoyable. The slow pace works. It helps with the buildup of friendships, relationships, & getting the whole cultural experience through Anna's perspective.

Characters: There are way too many to name that I liked and disliked (which with the characters you dislike you are supposed to, so it's not like I just disliked this person because they weren't developed correctly, I dislike them because they were developed correctly, if that makes sense!) This isn't an insta-love in the sense of normal insta-loves. The relationship actually takes time to build and neither characters are professing their love on page 10 of chapter 2 :) but there is an instant attraction which is definitely normal in the real world.

All in all I really like this book it comes highly recommended from me. For all you guys and gals looking for a fun beach/pool read, this is the book I would take. I will be re-reading this on my next trip to Oklahoma. I can see myself sitting in my car for 5 hours with my feet propped up on the dash and listening to music reading this! ( )
  Courtney_Chance | Jun 19, 2014 |

Stephanie Perkinsprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Duewell, KristinaCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vandervoort, IreneDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Jarrod, best friend & true love
Here is everything I know about France: Madeline and Amelie and Moulin Rouge.
I wish friends held hands more often, like the children I see on the streets sometimes. I'm not sure why we have to grow up and get embarrassed about it.

From Goodreads.com

Anna was looking forward to her senior year in Atlanta, where she has a great job, a loyal best friend, and a crush on the verge of becoming more. So she's less than thrilled about being shipped off to boarding school in Paris — until she meets Étienne St. Clair. Smart, charming, beautiful, Étienne has it all . . . including a serious girlfriend.

But in the City of Light, wishes have a way of coming true. Will a year of romantic near-misses end with their long-awaited French kiss? Stephanie Perkins keeps the romantic tension crackling and the attraction high in a debut guaranteed to make toes tingle and hearts melt.

When Anna's romance-novelist father sends her to an elite American boarding school in Paris for her senior year of high school, she reluctantly goes, and meets an amazing boy who becomes her best friend, in spite of the fact that they both want something more.… (more)

344 wanted3 pay2 pay

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,652,033 books! | Top bar: Always visible