Radiance by Alyson Noël

Authors:Alyson Noël
Info:Square Fish (2010), Edition: First Edition, Paperback, 192 pages
Collections:New releases

Radiance by Alyson Noël

Riley has crossed the bridge into the afterlife—a place called Here. Her dog has crossed over with her. When she’s summoned before The Council, she learns that the afterlife isn’t just an eternity of leisure. She’s been assigned a job, Soul Catcher.
It is good IF you like this genre that is "Dead.". I enjoyed the book but personally wouldn't pick the next in the series. I think I have students who will enjoy it. ( )
  jothebookgirl | Jan 3, 2017 |
A superficial intermediate/ MG book (not YA; after all, Riley is only 12). I can imagine some folks who don't read a lot enjoying this, but I've pretty much seen all the elements included here before, and Noel didn't do anything special with them. Not a bad book; just 'meh.' ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
Twelve year old, Riley Bloom, died in a car accident about two weeks ago. Her mother, father and dog, Buttercup, died along with her. The only survivor was her older sister, Ever. Every soul gets assigned a 'job' along with a guide that will teach them how to correctly finish the assignments. Riley gets assigned 'soul catcher' which is to go to the earth plane and get indecisive souls to cross the bridge to Here, the place where spirits live. A boy named Bodhi gets assigned to be Riley's guide. He brings her to a castle for her first assignment; to get the radiant boy to cross over the bridge. If she succeeds he promised her to bring her to her dream destination. She succeeds but a big surprise comes her way in the process. After she goes on the next part of the assignment with Bodhi and is told not to participate. She sits and watches as Bodhi goes through pain and just hopes he'll be okay. They complete the assignment and she gets to go to her dream destination. Radiance was a decent book. I could've enjoyed it 10x more if there was more action in it. The book was very predictable at times. It would be a very good summer reading book for a third or fourth grader.
  br14aido | May 10, 2014 |
Review courtesy of Dark Faerie Tales

Quick & Dirty: Very cute story with an adorable protagonist, adventure and a fun plot.

Opening Sentence: Most people think that death is the end.

The Review:

Riley Bloom is not your average 12 year old girl. She is dead and after taking a long detour, she finally decided to cross the bridge into a place called the Here and Now. Life is pretty much the same as it was when she was alive, she lives with her parents and is getting ready to start school. But she soon realizes that she really doesn’t know anything about this new life when she is summoned by the council and given a job as a Soul Catcher. She is supposed to return to earth and help lost souls find their way to the bridge that will lead them to the after life. She is assigned a guardian that is suppose to show her the ropes, his name is Bodhi. He seems kind of nerdy at first, but he also is pretty cute. Riley’s first assignment is the Radiant Boy, a ghost that has been haunting a castle for centuries. There have been many Soul Catchers that have tried to help him move on, but all of them have failed and now it is Riley’s turn.

Riley is an adorable girl. She is full of spunk and she doesn’t feel like she really fits in at the Here and Now. Everyone seems so serious and all she wants to do is have a good time. She feels cheated that her life was cut so short on earth. So when she gets the chance to go back, even if it is just as a spirit, it is very appealing to her. I thought she was a fun girl that was easy to like. She is young and doesn’t have a lot of life experience, which made it fun to watch her grow. She loves adventure and doesn’t shy away from trying new things. She’s not perfect by any means, but she is a great protagonist and I really enjoyed getting to know her.

This was a really quick read for me. It is very light and full of adventure, sarcasm, and humor. It would be the perfect book to give a young girl that’s just starting to get into reading. For an adult, it is an enjoyable read, but nothing too earth shattering. I liked the characters and the plot was totally predicable, but still entertaining. If you were a fan of Noel’s Immortal series, I think that you would really enjoy this spinoff. I would recommend this to anyone that is looking for a light, fast read with a fun protagonist.

Notable Scene:

I continue to gaze all around, desperate to find someone, anyone, that I might be able to talk to, someone who might be able to clue me in to where we were all heading–and what I was in for once we got there.

But–nothing.

Most of them wouldn’t even look at me, and the few who did merely smiled politely then quickly looked away. And it left me feeling so lonely and homesick, it felt like I had a vise shoved deep into my middle–one that was clamping down on my insides.

Still, I kept moving, placing one foot in front of the other, ignoring my worst fears, while trying to stay hopeful and bright (or at least appear that way), and to just allow myself to see where it led. But deep down inside, I was anxious, nervous, and more hat a little scared, ad all I really wanted was to head home, slip into my PJs. and curl up on my bed with Buttercup by my side.

The day I’d been dreading, the day my parents swore would open up a whole exciting new world open up a whole exciting new world, providing all of my favorite things, like art classes, and literature classes, and foreign language classes, and maybe even classes on singing, riding too–the day that was supposed to make me forget all about my old life and happily embrace my new one–well, it was turning out just as I feared:

It was awful.

FTC Advisory: Square Fish/Macmillan provided me with a copy of Radiance. No goody bags, sponsorships, “material connections,” or bribes were exchanged for my review. ( )
  DarkFaerieTales | Jan 28, 2014 |
"Radiance" is a great book with lots of great mysteries. Looking at the front cover, the first thing I thought was that it was about a young girl and her dog, but, as I read the back cover, I already knew this was a good book. As I started reading the first page, I was impressed that this book was one of the best books I've read. This is a great book for someone who likes mysteries! ( )
  br14jabe | Oct 11, 2013 |
"I may be dead, but I'm still pretty." --Buffy the Vampire Slayer
To Jean Feiwel, for making this possible - thank you, thank you, thank you!
Most people think that death is the end.
Most people think that death is the end. The end of life-- of good times-- the end of, well, pretty much everything. But those people are wrong. Dead wrong. And I should know. I died almost a year ago.

Welcome to the Here & Now

Riley Bloom left her sister, Ever, in the world of the living and crossed the bridge into the afterlife—a place called Here, where time is always Now. Riley and her dog, Buttercup, have been reunited with her parents and are just settling into a nice, relaxing death when she's summoned before The Council. They let her in on a secret—the afterlife isn't just an eternity of leisure; Riley has to work. She's been assigned a job, Soul Catcher, and a teacher, Bodhi, a curious boy she can't quite figure out.

Riley, Bodhi, and Buttercup return to earth for her first assignment, a Radiant Boy who's been haunting a castle in England for centuries. Many Soul Catchers have tried to get him to cross the bridge and failed. But he's never met Riley...

After crossing the bridge into the afterlife, a place called Here where the time is always Now, Riley's existence continues in much the same way as when she was alive until she is given the job of Soul Catcher and, together with her teacher Bodhi, returns to earth for her first assignment, a ghost called the Radiant Boy who has been haunting an English castle for centuries and resisted all previous attempts to get him across the bridge.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,159,444 books! | Top bar: Always visible