Samarcande by Amin Maalouf

Samarcande (original 1989; edition 1989)

by Amin Maalouf, Amin Maalouf (Auteur)

8191611,095 (4)40
Member:hnn
Title:Samarcande
Authors:Amin Maalouf
Other authors:Amin Maalouf (Auteur)
Info:
Collections:Your library, Just read
Rating:*****
Tags:central asia, Omar Khayyam

Samarkand by Amin Maalouf (1989)

I loved this book. It is one of my all time favorites. The first book I read by Maalouf was the Crusades through Arab Eyes - which in its own right is fantastic. It prompted me to read Samarkand which was glorious. ( )
  inasrullah64 | Sep 26, 2014 |
I loved the descriptions of life in Persia and the scenes in Paris! ( )
  RKoletteL | Jun 5, 2014 |
Will finish it later. It's nice, written beautifully, but I'm not interested in the historical fiction in it, so I'm putting it aside for now. ( )
  pathogenik | Mar 2, 2014 |
Fantastique histoire du poète Omar Kayyam et de son mystique livre qui contient toute la connaissance du monde. C'est aussi une très belle reconstitution de l'empire arabe au temps de l'apogée de Bagdad, Samarcande et Isphahan. ( )
1 vote Lhiscock | Oct 27, 2013 |
This went over my head.

I did learn about the Sufi poet, sage, astronomer, mathematician, Omar Khayyam (1048-1131) of 11th century Persia and his famed Rubaiyaat, about life during the Seljuk empire before the Mongol invasion, about Nizam ul Mulk, Hassan Sabbah, the founder of the Order of the Assassins, and later about the Persian democratic struggle for a constitutional government. That is why I am giving this book two stars. I did learn something, but I also had to spend quite a bit of time searching on the net and in other literature! I was so often confused.

I did not enjoy the mix of fact and fiction. The fictional parts felt unbelievable. I didn’t enjoy the language used; it is wordy; it is highbrow. The story is told, rather than shown. The love affairs did not move me. I felt nothing for the characters. No, I did not enjoy this book; it was a chore. I am the oddball out! Perhaps you should go read somebody else’s adulatory review!

Completed May 6, 2013 ( )
1 vote chrissie3 | May 6, 2013 |
Samarkand, to je Persija Omara Hajama, pesnika vina, slobodnog mislioca, genijalnog astronoma, ali i Persija Hasana Sabaha, osnivača reda asasina, najstrašnije sekte u Istoriji.

Samarkand, to je Orijent XIX veka i početka XX, putovanje u svet u kom su snovi o slobodi oduvek uspevali da odole utvarama.

Samarkand, to je pustolovina jednog rukopisa nastalog u XI veku, izgubljenog prilikom mongolskih upada i ponovo pronađenog šest vekova kasnije.

Još jednom, vodeći nas putem svile kroz najzanosnije gradove Azije, Amin Maluf nas oduševljava svojim izvanrednim pripovedačkim darom.

Amin Maluf je danas jedan od najznačajnijih svetskih pisaca. Njegova prva knjiga, Krstaški ratovi viđeni očima Arapa, već je postala klasično delo.
added by Sensei-CRS | editknjigainfo.com

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,366,768 books! | Top bar: Always visible