dismiss

The Cross of Redemption: Uncollected…

The Cross of Redemption: Uncollected Writings (Vintage International) (edition 2011)

by Randall Kenan (Herausgeber)

A treasury of essays, articles, and reviews by the late author includes pieces that explore such topics as religious fundamentalism, Russian literature, and the possibility of an African-American president.
Member:peopleslibrary
Title:The Cross of Redemption: Uncollected Writings (Vintage International)
Authors:Randall Kenan (Herausgeber)
Info:Vintage (2011), 400 pages
Collections:Your library, Wishlist

The Cross of Redemption: Uncollected Writings by James Baldwin

I wanted to read this book prior to seeing the documentary I Am Not Your Negro. This is a collection of essays written by Jame Baldwin throughout his life, and these showcase more than his great writing skills: he was a master of rhetoric and philosophical argument. This is a large collection and while it's worth reading, I strongly recommend the documentary in which these writings are featured and placed into historical context. The film also includes clips of Baldwin and I am impressed by how well he could think on his feet and make a rebuttal to intellectual arguments. Most writers prefer pen and paper because they're thoughtful and take time to construct their prose. Baldwin was a strong intellectual who could hold his own. This country didn't treat him or his contemporaries well, but Baldwin is certainly a national treasure. We should not only honor him, we should heed his advice and take his points to heart because even after all these years - his points are still true. ( )
  Neftzger | Mar 12, 2017 |
The Estate of James Baldwin would like to extend appreciation to Erroll McDonald, Randall Kenan, Lily Evans, Eileen Ahearn, Douglas Field, Rene Boatman, and Quentin Miller for bringing this collection to fruition.
Mass culture and the creative artist: Someone once said to me that the people in general cannot bear very much reality.
A word from writer directly to reader: I suppose that it has always been difficult to be a writer.
From nationalism, colonialism, and the United States: Bobby Kennedy recently made me the soul-stirring promise that one day - thirty years, if I'm lucky - I can be President too.
Theater: The Negro in and out: It is a sad fact that I have rarely seen a Negro actor really well used on the American stage or screen, or on television.
Is A raisin in the sun a lemon in the dark?: Both Native Son and A Raisin in the Sun are flawed pieces of work, though this is clearly not the point of Mr. Algren's argument.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 148,966,418 books! | Top bar: Always visible