Debt: The First 5,000 Years by David Graeber

Debt: The First 5,000 Years (original 2011; edition 2012)

by David Graeber

Member:othersam
Title:Debt: The First 5,000 Years
Authors:David Graeber
Info:Melville House Publishing (2012), Paperback, 544 pages

Debt: The First 5,000 Years by David Graeber (2011)

This is the densest book I've read in a long while. I'm a notoriously slow reader of non-fiction books of this sort, but I pushed my way through it, and there's lots of good things to glean from this book. Super interesting. It especially made me think of slavery in a new way. I also didn't know much about the Sumerian, medieval middle-eastern, or many different tribal societies' economies before. I learned a lot. ( )
  xiaomarlo | Apr 17, 2019 |
Best book I read in years. Pretty hard to read and dense now and then but fascinating perspectives on the interrelation between debt, money, war, religion and love ultimately. ( )
  nielsbom | Dec 9, 2018 |
This is an amazingly lively, interesting, and provocative history of debt, money, and credit systems that may upend assumptions and beliefs you've taken for granted.

One of the most basic of those assumptions is that, prior to the invention of money, people relied on barter to trade the things they had in excess for the things they needed. This would have been enormously cumbersome, and that, in the traditional version, is why money was invented. The problem is that there is no evidence to support this theory. No society has ever been found, anywhere, that relies on barter as a primary way of trading within the community. Barter is only ever used with strangers, or in societies that normally use money but have experienced a temporary break-down in the availability of money. It's stop-gap, not something people do routinely.

How do people trade among themselves when their society doesn't have money? Oddly, the same way we do now: through elaborate credit arrangements. Henry needs a pair of shoes; John makes shoes. Henry has potatoes, which John doesn't need right now, but Henry, John, and all their neighbors are perfectly capable of remembering that Henry owes John the value of a pair of shoes. Traditional societies have many faults and are by no means idyllic Edens of perfection, but there is an assumption that of course everyone needs to have the essentials of survival, and that this is a community concern, not solely an individual concern. Everyone helps others, because everyone is going to need help from others. What goes around, comes around. Competition, anger, greed, resentment all exist, but sociability is the key to survival.

The really interesting bit, and the meat of this book, is how we get from that, to money-based economies, and how this affected not just economics but every part of human life. One crucial factor is the connection between armies and militarism, and the need to supply those armies, and the invention of coin. The three basic ways of supplying your army are to maintain really long supply lines, to loot the countryside they're marching through, or to buy supplies along your army's route.

But the people in the country you're marching through mostly have no reason to share resources with your army, who aren't part of their community. And carrying trade goods in quantity is just a different version of the "long supply lines" problem.

Small and portable bits of gold and silver, though, are usually acceptable and tradeable everywhere.

Once coinage is invented and accepted, everything gradually acquires a price, including people--and even intrinsically non-tradeable things, like parent-child relations, begin to be talked about in terms of credit, debt, and price.

This is a thoughtful, interesting, informative, and highly readable book, well worth reading regardless of whether you ultimately agree with Graeber's thesis.

Highly recommended.

I borrowed this book from the library. ( )
  LisCarey | Sep 19, 2018 |
Read this book. ( )
  simonspacecadet | Jul 29, 2018 |
Excellent! Would love to discuss. ( )
  AnupGampa | Jun 30, 2018 |

David Graeberprimary authorall editionscalculated
Freundl, HansTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gardner, GroverNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gebauer, StephanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schäfer, UrselTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
debt noun 1 a sum of money owed. 2 the state of owing money. 3 a feeling of gratitude for a favour or service. --Oxford English Dictionary
If you owe the bank a hundred thousand dollars, the bank owns you. If you owe the bank a hundred million dollars, you own the bank. --American Proverb
Two years ago, by a series of strange coincidences, I found myself attending a garden party at Westminster Abbey.
It's money that had made it possible for us to imagine ourselves in the way economists encourage us to do: as a collection of individuals and nations whose main business is swapping things.

Every economics textbook says the same thing: Money was invented to replace onerous and complicated barter system--to relieve ancient people from having to haul their goods to market. The problem with this version of history? There's not a shred of evidence to support it. Here anthropologist David Graeber presents a stunning reversal of conventional wisdom. He shows that for more than 5,000 years, since the beginning of the agrarian empires, humans have used elaborate credit systems--a system that far preceeded cash or organized barter. It is in this era, Graeber shows, that we also first encounter a society divided into debtors and creditors. With the passage of time, however, virtual credit money was replaced by gold and silver coins--and the system as a whole began to decline. Interest rates spiked and the indebted became slaves. And the system perpetuated itself with tremendously violent consequences, with only the rare intervention of kings and churches keeping the system from spiraling out of control. Debt: The First 5,000 Years is a fascinating chronicle of this little known history--as well as how it has defined human history, and what it means for the credit crisis of the present day and the future of our economy.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,216,396 books! | Top bar: Always visible