The night bookmobile by Audrey Niffenegger

The night bookmobile (original 2010; edition 2010)

by Audrey Niffenegger

Member:jojamo
Title:The night bookmobile
Authors:Audrey Niffenegger
Info:New York : Abrams ComicArts, 2010.
Rating:***
Tags:Graphic novel, bookmobile, library, books, librarian, librarianship, death

The Night Bookmobile by Audrey Niffenegger (2010)

English (78)  French (1)  German (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (81)
Now, as a rule I stay away from graphic novels. Sorry, I meant comic books. Let's be real: that's what the vast majority of them are. But this little tale of a magic bus and the power of books in one's life is engrossing. And you can get through it in 15 minutes. Nice little story. ( )
  stringcat3 | Aug 28, 2016 |
I opened the book to just take a look at it and ended up reading the whole thing. I'd love to come across my own bookmobile! Even though the story takes an unexpected turn, it was still very sweet. Of course, that might just be because of my nerdy love of books, but I don't care. ( )
  imahorcrux | Jun 22, 2016 |
Only at Sierra Nevada College 4/25/15
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 5, 2016 |
The Night Bookmobile made me dream. It’s a graphic novel about a woman out on a late night walk (she’s quarreled with her fella) and happens across a bookmobile. She discovers that within this odd sight is everything she’s ever read. From all her books to her own diary. I gasped when I read that. For that is truly a reader’s dream! I wanted to find a night bookmobile of my own. I imagined the forgotten treasures I would find in my own version. My childhood diaries, Archie comics, picture books, magazines, my favorite series and books, books, books of all sorts. What fun!

Alexandra is equally smitten. She seeks out the bookmobile again and again, but it never turns up and it is years till she sees it again. In the meantime, she goes to library school and becomes a librarian herself, with the dream of one day working in the night bookmobile. And all the time reading, not just for herself, but also for her personal collection: “Like a pregnant woman eating for two, I read for myself and the librarian.”

I’ve never quoted from a graphic novel before but here were such gems:

“In the same way that perfume captures the essence of a flower, these shelves of books were a distillation of my life.”
“Each spine was an encapsulated memory, each book represented hours, days of pleasures, of immersion in words.”

It is such a dreamy story. But the ending tossed me out of my dreamy state – I won’t spoil it for you, if you haven’t read it yet. I still wouldn’t mind coming across my own night bookmobile though. ( )
  RealLifeReading | Jan 19, 2016 |
No. No. No. I should have known Niffenegger could ruin a graphic novel. She ruined Time Traveler's Wife, why not The Night Bookmobile? Interesting story until the last six pages. From there, the story is just...a disappointment. ( )
  lesmel | Dec 31, 2015 |
The first time I saw the Night Bookmobile,
When I began writing The Night Bookmobile, it was a story about a woman's secret life as a reader. As I worked it also became a story about the claims that books place on their readers, the imbalance between our inner and outer lives, a cautionary tale of the seductions of the written word. It became a vision of the afterlife as a library, of heaven as a funky old camper filled with everything you've ever read. What is this heaven? What is it we desire from the hours, weeks, lifetimes we devote to books? What would you sacrifice to sit in that comfy chair with perfect light for an afternoon in eternity, reading the perfect book, forever?

"The Night Bookmobile tells the story of a wistful woman who one night encounters a mysterious disappearing library on wheels that contains every book she has ever read. Seeing her history and most intimate self in this library, she embarks on a search for the bookmobile. But her search turns into an obsession, as she longs to be reunited with her own collection and memories" -- from publisher's web site.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,420,007 books! | Top bar: Always visible