The night bookmobile by Audrey Niffenegger

The night bookmobile (original 2010; edition 2010)

by Audrey Niffenegger

614None16,162 (3.62)149
Member:jojamo
Title:The night bookmobile
Authors:Audrey Niffenegger
Info:New York : Abrams ComicArts, 2010.
Rating:***
Tags:Graphic novel, bookmobile, library, books, librarian, librarianship, death

The Night Bookmobile by Audrey Niffenegger (2010)

English (68)  French (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (70)
I loved this book! I felt so emotional reading it. I have had this very same notion of a place that is filled with all the books you have ever read. Kind of why I like goodreads...it holds on and catalogs all those books that have passed your way. I felt that this book gave a clearer view of the authors feeling on death and beyond then did some of her other works. This was my first graphic short story and I loved it.
UPDATE: Forgot to mention how much I loved the library vehicles! ( )
  dms02 | Feb 27, 2014 |
While I liked the fantasy aspect of this book (your own personal book mobile run by a ghost), the spinster librarian who only loves her books bit was rather upsetting, especially how with unstable Alexandra turned out to be. There was also a lack of character development that is understandable with a graphic novel, but the core idea (rather reminiscent of Borges's "Library of Babel") needs to be flushed out. ( )
  Bodagirl | Feb 16, 2014 |
Shocking! Interesting, graphic novel (really more of a short story) ( )
  njcur | Feb 13, 2014 |
Sad and a little strange, but I did really like it. ( )
  daniellnic | Sep 25, 2013 |
"The Night Bookmobile" should be taught in every library school. In fact, it should be the subject of the application essay, though for different reasons. Niffenegger's afterword says that it's a book in part about the "claims that books place on their readers"; with some 20 years of librarianship under my belt I'll say it's also a book about the claims that librarians place on their libraries.

There's an excellent recording by Christina Pickles for the podcast Selected Shorts; hard to find but worth the hunt. That was my introduction; I requested the print book from the library the day after I heard it. It's interesting to compare the details added by Pickles' performance with the ones in Niffenegger's illustrations. ( )
  hipdeep | Aug 24, 2013 |
The first time I saw the Night Bookmobile,
When I began writing The Night Bookmobile, it was a story about a woman's secret life as a reader. As I worked it also became a story about the claims that books place on their readers, the imbalance between our inner and outer lives, a cautionary tale of the seductions of the written word. It became a vision of the afterlife as a library, of heaven as a funky old camper filled with everything you've ever read. What is this heaven? What is it we desire from the hours, weeks, lifetimes we devote to books? What would you sacrifice to sit in that comfy chair with perfect light for an afternoon in eternity, reading the perfect book, forever?

"The Night Bookmobile tells the story of a wistful woman who one night encounters a mysterious disappearing library on wheels that contains every book she has ever read. Seeing her history and most intimate self in this library, she embarks on a search for the bookmobile. But her search turns into an obsession, as she longs to be reunited with her own collection and memories" -- from publisher's web site.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,475,226 books! | Top bar: Always visible