The Jesuit Guide to (Almost) Everything: A…

The Jesuit Guide to (Almost) Everything: A Spirituality for Real Life (2010)

by James Martin

interesting and amusing ( )
  Harrod | Jun 25, 2014 |
A book that is very engaging and easy to read, but covering the Jesuit way of memitation. definitiely a re-read book. 5 stars
  oldman | Jun 10, 2013 |
I'm sorry, but no. I understand, to an extent, what he's trying to do, but trying to "apply the insights of Ignatius" to people in "other faith traditions" is utter nonsense. Ignatius isn't just a Christian, he's Catholic, Roman Catholic all the way down. Trying to ignore that fact, for whatever motive, is just stupid. ( )
  dmmjlllt | May 1, 2013 |
This book is an introduction to just about every aspect of the Jesuits: history, spirituality, you name it, but it is more importantly a great introduction to/refresher course in Ignatian spirituality. What more to say than that after reading it, I want to buy a copy for our library? ( )
  nmele | Apr 6, 2013 |
I'm not Catholic and not religious, but I saw the author on the Colbert Report and had to have this book. The author does come down to the ultimate goal being a relationship with God, but he does a good job of making the book accessible to those with different beliefs. It gave me a lot to think about in how I live my life. ( )
  MelissaMcB | Aug 19, 2012 |
The Rev. James Martin, a Jesuit priest and associate editor of America, the Jesuit magazine — and a very funny, and fine man — has written a new book for those interested in borrowing from Jesuit tenets to live simpler lives. It's called The Jesuit Guide to Almost Everything: A Spirituality for Real Life.
added by bongiovi | editNPR (Mar 6, 2010)

He writes in The Jesuit Guide that "within the Christian tradition, all spiritualities, no matter what their origins, have the same focus — the desire for union with God, an emphasis on love and charity, and a belief in Jesus as the Son of God."

Fratribus carissimis in Societate Jesu (To my very dear brothers in the Society of Jesus)

St. Ignatius Loyola (1491-1556), the founder of the Society of Jesus (aka the Jesuits), was known for his practical spirituality. The "way of Ignatius" has helped millions of people—from the doubtful seeker to the devout believer—find freedom, make friends, live simply, work sensibly, fall in love, experience joy, and enter into a relationship with God.

The Ignatian goal of "finding God in all things" eans that every part of our lives can lead us to God. The Jesuit Guide to (Almost) Everything shows us how this is possible, with user-friendly examples, humorous stories and anecdotes from the heroic and inspiring lives of Jesuit saints and average priests and brothers, as well as examples from Martin's twenty years as a Jesuit. The traditional wisdom that Jesuits use to help other people in their daily lives is easily applied, but not often explained well to the general public. The Jesuit Guide to (Almost) Everything translates these insights of St. Ignatius for a modern audience and reveals how we can find God—and how God can find us—in the real world of work, love, suffering, decisions, prayer, and friendship.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:02:56 -0400)

A practical, spiritual guidebook based on the life and teachings of St. Ignatius of Loyola shows readers how to manage relationships, money, work, prayer, and decision making, while keeping a sense of humor about life.

126 wanted1 pay1 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,731,676 books! | Top bar: Always visible