Oh, the Places You'll Go Pop-Up by Dr. Seuss

Oh, the Places You'll Go Pop-Up

by Dr. Seuss

204857,485 (4.32)None

The story begins with the narrator, relating the decision of the unnamed protagonist (who represents the reader) to leave town. The protagonist travels through several geometrical and polychromatic landscapes and places, eventually encountering a place simply called "The Waiting Place", which is ominously addressed as being a place where everyone is always waiting for something to happen. It is implied that time does not pass in the Waiting Place. As the protagonist continues to explore, spurred on by the thoughts of places he will visit and things he will discover, the book cheerfully concludes with an open end. ( )
  caitlinsnead | Nov 20, 2013 |
The same classic Dr. Suess books with a little something extra. I couldn't NOT investigate a Dr. Suess pop-up book. The same positive theme of adventure, with a touch of a slight morbidness, while reminding to take caution. The pop up was a nice touch, and it was like a renovation of one of my childhood favorites. ( )
  BarrettOlivia | Sep 13, 2012 |
Dr. Seuss is definitely one of my favorite children's authors, and this book is one of my favorite Dr.Seuss books. It is a fun, rhyming story that appeals to people and children of all ages. The message is very positive and the words that are used are very thoughtful. The Dr. Seuss world is always an interesting place to see, and the words he uses capture your attention. I think this book would be great for a poetry lesson, since the story is basically one long poem.
  cwoodrow | Apr 10, 2012 |
It is a life lesson that takes you through a journey. On this journey it talks about the good times and also the hardships that will happen. ( )
  Gabe77 | Feb 26, 2012 |
Summary:

This book is about a young person who is about to leave home and experience life for the first time. The young person in the book starts his Journey and is optimistic about the world, when reality hits him he discovers that in life you have ups and downs but you can always overcome adversity.

Personal reaction:

I really loved this book. I think it is a wonderful poem book to give to young people as a graduation present, as they enter the beginning stages of adulthood. I really enjoyed how the author allows you to see things from the prospective of the charter, and at the same time ,writes the poem in a narrative form almost allows you to be the mentor. I really personally related to this book because I have experienced being the young person and the mentor.

Classroom extension:

1.) I will have the Students talk about times in their lives when they were sad or optimistic about something and relate it to the book

2.) I will have the Students try to interpret the hidden meanings in the book like for example: sometimes you will have to play basket ball alone… ( )
  TirzahB | Feb 23, 2012 |

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0375852271, Hardcover)

Inspirational yet honest, and always rhythmically rollicking, Oh, the Places You'll Go! is a perfect sendoff for children, 1 to 100, entering any new phase of their lives. Kindergartners, graduate students, newlyweds, newly employeds--all will glean shiny pearls of wisdom about the big, bountiful future. The incomparable Dr. Seuss rejoices in the potential everyone has to fulfill their wildest dreams: "You'll be on your way up! / You'll be seeing great sights! / You'll join the high fliers / who soar to high heights." At the same time, he won't delude the starry-eyed upstart about the pitfalls of life: "You can get all hung up / in a prickle-ly perch. / And your gang will fly on. / You'll be left in a Lurch."

But fear not! Dr. Seuss, with his inimitable illustrations and exhilarating rhymes, is convinced ("98 and 3/4 percent guaranteed") that success is imminent. As long as you remember "to be dexterous and deft. And NEVER mix up your right foot with your left," things should work out. (All ages) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:54:55 -0400)

Advice in rhyme for proceeding in life; weathering fear, loneliness, and confusion; and being in charge of your actions.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,634,900 books! | Top bar: Always visible