dismiss

Behemoth by Scott Westerfeld

Behemoth

by Scott Westerfeld

Other authors: Keith Thompson (Illustrator)

Series: Leviathan (2)

Continues the story of Austrian Prince Alek who, in an alternate 1914 Europe, eludes the Germans by traveling in the Leviathan to Constantinople, where he faces a whole new kind of genetically-engineered warships.

Enjoyed the first book a bit more than this one but the whole series has only been just okay so far. Still really only listening to the books because I live listening to the narrator. ( )
  Fortunesdearest | Apr 10, 2020 |
I'd give this a 4.5 if I could. Kate and I are fully hooked on the series now and eagerly awaiting the next book, which we will "read" together as an audiobook as soon as its available. Once again, Alan Cumming does an excellent job as the reader. I also appreciate the author's afterword breaking down the history from the fiction. ( )
  Nikchick | Mar 21, 2020 |
  Nikchick | Mar 21, 2020 |
Even better than the first book in the series. Awesome YA fiction and while an alternative history, teaches more about WWI than most people would probably ever otherwise be exposed to. ( )
  Skybalon | Mar 19, 2020 |
Scott Westerfeld definitely did not disappoint with this middle-novel in his incredible new series. It continues every ounce of the great characters, carefully crafted world of steampunk-history, and nonstop action and intrigue. In fact I think it added even more than the first one.

The world is sliding deeper into war, but there is an uneasy truce aboard the huge British whale-airship Leviathan, where Alek and his men work alongside the British airmen. Of course, none of them know that Alek is secretly the hunted prince of Austria-Hungary. No one except for his best friend Deryn, who is hiding an equally big secret from everyone; she's a girl.

But the Leviathan has another job to do; deliver a mysterious egg to the sultan of the Ottoman Empire, in hopes of dissuading the empire from allying with the German Clankers. But they may be too late, with the Ottomans already furious with the British for commandeering their new ship.

But once they land in Istanbul, Alek and Deryn have their own plans. Plans that will drag both of them into a web of escape attempts, secrets protected and revealed, dangerous missions, a host of new creatures both Darwinist and Clanker (including the mysterious occupants of the eggs), and maybe even a revolution. For the first time, worrying about their hidden identities may be the least of their problems.

Once again the action never seems to slow down. Deryn and Alek are both thoroughly likable, heroic, and realistic, and have great interactions together. Scott Westerfeld's imagination has once again created an incredible cast of creatures and mechanical wonders, and both they and the characters are illustrated masterfully by returning artist Keith Thompson. Fun and interesting new minor characters round out the cast. It'll be a long, hard wait for Goliath, where I have no doubt Westerfeld will bring this awesome trilogy to a great close. ( )
1 vote booksong | Mar 18, 2020 |

Scott Westerfeldprimary authorall editionscalculated
Thompson, KeithIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Cumming, AlanNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Yuen, SammyCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Justine: nine years, seventeen novels, and counting
Alek raised his sword.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0670073040, 0143565591

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 146,491,012 books! | Top bar: Always visible