Behemoth by Scott Westerfeld

Behemoth

by Scott Westerfeld

Other authors: Keith Thompson (Illustrator)

Series: Leviathan Trilogy (2)

Good steampunk adventure with lots of action, but I didn't like it as much as Leviathan because there were fewer cool Darwinist creatures. I also had a lot of trouble with a major plot point. If you release incredibly toxic metal dissolving barnacles into the ocean, a species that breeds rapidly with the regular barnacles to make even more metal dissolving barnacles, shouldn't you be just a tad concerned about world wide ecological collapse? As well the the destruction of all shipping? Yes, yes you should. ( )
  JanetNoRules | Sep 17, 2018 |
3.5 stars ( )
  captainbooknerd | Jan 11, 2018 |
Not as engaging as the first book. The first book was a constant assortment of wonders and details whereas this one takes it too much for granted that the reader gets the jist of Clunkers v Darwinists by now and strictly wants story instead of atmosphere and setting. There were far less of those "Willy Wonka opening the doors to the candy room" moments. I would have adored more exploration of the societies Westerfeld has created in this series - instead I got a fairly run-of-the-mill heir-to-the-throne running for his life story.

Don't get me wrong, I still greatly enjoyed it - it just wasn't as much of what I was hoping for. ( )
  benuathanasia | Dec 14, 2017 |
3.5 stars. This is really my fault. It took me a long time to read this book and due to that, I didn't enjoy it as much. I got into a reading slump shortly after starting it and had to put it down...for more than 6 months. I didn't enjoy this one as much as I did the first. I still enjoyed the world though. There are new characters in the sequel that I really like and hope to learn more about in the third book. ( )
  BefuddledPanda | Dec 4, 2017 |
[review written 2011]

I have just finished Behemoth by Scott Westerfeld, the second book in the Leviathan trilogy. The book was amazing, as the trilogy is. There’s a fair amount of action and adventure. There were hints of a romance, and it was quite amusing when Lilit kissed Deryn. Alek and Deryn were split up for a bit in the book, which I didn’t like, but they got back together after a while and continued their bad-assery.

Count Volger and Lilit found out Deryn’s secret, but did not reveal it to anyone else. Honestly, I can’t wait until Alek finds out she is a girl. I’m waiting on the next book. I just hope he’s not disappointed, because I do count myself a Dalek shipper at the moment. I also liked how Deryn used snatches of German, like Dummkopf (probably spelled wrong) in the book. ( )
  jwmchen | Nov 4, 2017 |

Scott Westerfeldprimary authorall editionscalculated
Thompson, KeithIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Cumming, AlanNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Yuen, SammyCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Justine: nine years, seventeen novels, and counting
Alek raised his sword.

Continues the story of Austrian Prince Alek who, in an alternate 1914 Europe, eludes the Germans by traveling in the Leviathan to Constantinople, where he faces a whole new kind of genetically-engineered warships.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0670073040, 0143565591

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,669,406 books! | Top bar: Always visible