The Marvelous Land of Oz by L. Frank Baum

The Marvelous Land of Oz (original 1904; edition 1904)

by L. Frank Baum

Member:m_k_m
Title:The Marvelous Land of Oz
Authors:L. Frank Baum
Info:Dover Publications Inc. (2003), Edition: First in This Edition, Paperback, 287 pages
Rating:***

The Marvelous Land of Oz by L. Frank Baum (1904)

Recently added byoverthestars64, beeworthy, private library, CassKnits, Bjace, dm13, hdrussell
Legacy LibrariesSterling E. Lanier

Reread Summer 2004 from Gutenberg
  amyem58 | Jul 14, 2014 |
The Marvelous Land of Oz by L. Frank Baum was first published in 1904 and is the second of the Oz books. Somewhere along the line the reprints have lost the Marvelous from the title. As the title implies, this one is basically world building and expansion — fleshing out Oz for Dorothy's triumphant (and eventual return in Dorothy and the Wizard in Oz.

Tip has lived with the witch Mombie for as long as he can remember. In his time there acting more like her slave than her son, he has learned a thing or two about magic. He decides to put what he's learned to use through the creation of some companions — a pumpkin head named Jack, and a sawhorse. Together they set off to escape the witch and seek asylum with the Scarecrow, the current king of Oz.

Meanwhile, the women of the Emerald City have grown tired of the way the Scarecrow and his all male set of advisors have been running things. Under the leadership of Jinjur, they revolt and take over the city, forcing the men in power to flee the city.

I don't personally know what Baum's views were on either politics or gender but this book does a lot turn of the last century exploration of gender roles. It was written and published during the push for women's suffrage.

I'm taking one star off, though, for the less than stellar performance of the audio book reader. Listening to the book just wasn't as enjoyable as reading it (and seeing the wonderful illustrations). ( )
  pussreboots | Jul 1, 2014 |

The Marvelous Land of Oz is one of my favorite of the Oz books. I love it for it's exploration of gender. I love it for Tip's adventure and the relationship he has with his creations. I love it for the Gump's discussion of the meaning of life. Most of all I love how it sets the stage for the remainder of the Oz books that Baum wrote himself before handing over the series to new writers. ( )
  pussreboots | Jul 1, 2014 |
The one where Scarecrow is the king of the Emerald City. That's all I remember of the plot, but I loved this book as a girl, and plan on re-reading it. ( )
  fefferbooks | May 12, 2014 |
In the 2nd book, you have an introduction of a few new characters. I loved this book just because it was so weird. You have a the scarecrow that becomes arrogant. The Tin Man obsessed with his looks. Then you have a little boy that is actually a little girl. A magical saw horse, that is just comical in his description. A flying moody Gump.

As I said, this book is weird! But I love it. ( )
  cbilbo | Apr 8, 2014 |

L. Frank Baumprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
McKee, DavidIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Neill, John ReaIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To those excellent good fellows and eminent comedians David C. Montgomery and Fred A. Stone whose clever personations of the Tin Woodman and the Scarecrow have delighted thousands of children throughout the land, this book is gratefully dedicated.
In the country of the Gillikins, which is at the North of the Land of Oz, lived a youth called Tip.
"This," said the Gump, in a squeaky voice not at all proportioned to the size of its great body, is the most novel experience I ever heard of. The last thing I remember distinctly is walking through the forest and hearing a loud noise..."
This is adapted from the novel of the same name by L. Frank Baum.   Please do not combine.

Few fantasy lands have captured our hearts and imaginations as has the marvelous land of Oz. For over four generations, children and adults alike have reveled in the magical adventures of its beloved folk. Now, for the first time in over seventy years, the second book about Oz is presented here in the same deluxe format as the rare first edition, complete with all 16 of the original John R. Neill color plates, its colorful pictorial binding, and the many black-and-white illustrations that bring it to joyous life.

First issued in 1904, L. Frank Baum's The Marvelous Land of Oz is the story of the wonderful adventures of the young boy named Tip as he travels throughout the many lands of Oz. Here he meets with our old friends the Scarecrow and Tin Woodman, as well as some new friends like Jack Pumpkinhead, the Wooden Sawhorse, the Highly Magnified Woggle-Bug, and the amazing Gump. How they thwart the wicked plans of the evil witch Mombi and overcome the rebellion of General Jinjur and her army of young women is a tale as exciting and endearing today as it was when first published over eighty years ago.

Afterword by Peter Glassman. A facsimile of the rare first edition, complete with all 16 original color plates, a colorful pictorial binding, and over 125 of Neill's drawings. A Books of Wonder(R) Classic.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:46:56 -0400)

Tip and his creation, Jack Pumpkin, run away to Oz, where they save the city after it is captured by girls.

Nine editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Urban Romantics

An edition of this book was published by Urban Romantics.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,501,861 books! | Top bar: Always visible