The Marvelous Land of Oz by L. Frank Baum
Member:m_k_m
Title:The Marvelous Land of Oz
Authors:L. Frank Baum
Info:Dover Publications Inc. (2003), Edition: First in This Edition, Paperback, 287 pages
Rating:***
Tags:children, fantasy

The Marvelous Land of Oz by L. Frank Baum (1904)

Read the Book in the Bind up while listening to the audio-book on Scribd.

This book, like Wizard of Oz, was just really cute and fun to read.

I loved Tip, the Tin Man, Scarecrow & Jack the Pumpkin-head. During the last chapter or two, I kind of saw it coming, but I'm glad that throughout the book, it wasn't quite as obvious what was going to happen..For me at least.

There weren't very many boring parts in the book...it kept me totally interested throughout. When I go onto Ozma Of Oz, I don't know yet because I have so many other books I want to get to. Hopefully this one got me out of that slump I found myself in over the last few days or so.

The Narrator, Ron Knowles, was amazing at the voices and reading the book. 5/5 stars for him too! ( )
  obridget2 | May 14, 2017 |
A great Oz book.

General Jinjur and her army of young women take over the Emerald City. Tip has fled the evil witch Mombi when he joins the Scarecrow. They discover what had happened to the legitimate ruler - Ozma.

This is where we meet Ozma. And she is in every book from now on. ( )
  nx74defiant | Apr 30, 2017 |
I read this book 8 or 9 years ago and it still gives me nightmares. It's really wretched and weak. Bad. Really, really all-around bad. ( )
  Virginia-A | Dec 21, 2016 |
a young boy runs away from a witch with a pumpkin head man. Meets up with the Tin man and the Scarecrow. Emerald City is taken over. Glinda helps them retake it and it turns out that Tip, the boy, is actually a girl who is the real ruler. Light and engaging. ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |
"The Land of Oz" is a delightful follow-up to its more famous predecessor, The Wizard of Oz. This second book tells the story of Jack who, in absence of his guardian, the witch Mombie, creates a live man with a pumpkin head and a live saw horse to keep him company. He has many adventures with his friends after the sorcerer's apprentice-like beginning!

-Breton W Kaiser Taylor ( )
  Breton07 | Sep 12, 2016 |

L. Frank Baumprimary authorall editionscalculated
McKee, DavidIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Neill, John R.Illustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Neill, John ReaIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To those excellent good fellows and eminent comedians David C. Montgomery and Fred A. Stone whose clever personations of the Tin Woodman and the Scarecrow have delighted thousands of children throughout the land, this book is gratefully dedicated.
In the country of the Gillikins, which is at the North of the Land of Oz, lived a youth called Tip.
'This,' said the Gump, in a squeaky voice not at all proportioned to the size of its great body, 'is the most novel experience I ever heard of. The last thing I remember distinctly is walking through the forest and hearing a loud noise...'

Few fantasy lands have captured our hearts and imaginations as has the marvelous land of Oz. For over four generations, children and adults alike have reveled in the magical adventures of its beloved folk. Now, for the first time in over seventy years, the second book about Oz is presented here in the same deluxe format as the rare first edition, complete with all 16 of the original John R. Neill color plates, its colorful pictorial binding, and the many black-and-white illustrations that bring it to joyous life.

First issued in 1904, L. Frank Baum's The Marvelous Land of Oz is the story of the wonderful adventures of the young boy named Tip as he travels throughout the many lands of Oz. Here he meets with our old friends the Scarecrow and Tin Woodman, as well as some new friends like Jack Pumpkinhead, the Wooden Sawhorse, the Highly Magnified Woggle-Bug, and the amazing Gump. How they thwart the wicked plans of the evil witch Mombi and overcome the rebellion of General Jinjur and her army of young women is a tale as exciting and endearing today as it was when first published over eighty years ago.

Afterword by Peter Glassman. A facsimile of the rare first edition, complete with all 16 original color plates, a colorful pictorial binding, and over 125 of Neill's drawings. A Books of Wonder(R) Classic.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:57 -0400)

Tip and his creation, Jack Pumpkin, run away to Oz, where they save the city after it is captured by girls.

Urban Romantics

2 editions of this book were published by Urban Romantics.

Editions: 1909438294, 190943826X

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,178,899 books! | Top bar: Always visible