The Marvelous Land of Oz (Oz Series Book 2)…

The Marvelous Land of Oz (Oz Series Book 2) (original 1904; edition 2011)

by L. Frank Baum

Member:m_k_m
Title:The Marvelous Land of Oz (Oz Series Book 2)
Authors:L. Frank Baum
Info:Dover Publications Inc. (2003), Edition: First in This Edition, Paperback, 287 pages
Rating:***

The Marvelous Land of Oz by L. Frank Baum (1904)

I love this series. ( )
  zombiehero | Mar 25, 2016 |
Originally published in 1904, this second of L. Frank Baum's fourteen Oz novels opens in the Gillikin Country, in the north of Oz. Here a mischievous young boy named Tip chafes against the rule of his less-than-benevolent guardian, the witch Mombi. When Tip's prank, in creating a pumpkin-headed man to frighten Mombi backfires, and he is threatened with the terrible fate of being made into a statue as punishment, the young boy runs away, taking the now living Jack Pumpkinhead with him. Heading for the Emerald City, now ruled by the Scarecrow, Tip also brings to life a wooden sawhorse, and eventually meets up with a rebellious young woman named Jinjur, intent on fomenting a girls' revolt. When General Jinjur's army conquers the Emerald City, the Scarecrow must flee, taking Tip and his companions with him. They head for the Winkie Country, in the west of Oz, there to enlist the aid of the Tin Woodman, who rules that kingdom at the invitation of its residents. After a number of adventures - they meet a thoroughly educated Woogle Bug, are captured by General Jinjur, before subsequently escaping in a strange portmanteau creation called the Gump - the companions find their way to Glinda, who helps them to see that neither the Scarecrow nor General Jinjur are entitled to rule Oz. That honor belongs to the missing Princess Ozma, whose father was the last king of Oz. But where is Ozma, and what does it have to do with Tip…?

Although I grew up reading the Oz books, both those written by Baum, and then those written by Ruth Plumly Thompson, The Marvelous Land of Oz has never been a particular favorite of mine. I always find the story a little bit scattered, with the main characters seemingly running back and forth across Oz, and I never feel particularly attached to their struggles. I have also always found the plot involving General Jinjur and her army of rebellious girls somewhat distasteful. It always rather confused me that Baum seemed to be taking aim at feminist activists, who would, at the time of publication, have been publicly working for women's suffrage. How does this parody he offers fit in with the characters' claim, later in the book, when Tip is reluctant to resume his original form as Ozma - a female!, that girls are every bit as good as boys, and sometimes even make better students? Satire is frequently to be found in the pages of Baum's Oz books - in the next title, Ozma of Oz, there are some rather pointed depictions of the military, in the form of the largely incompetent officers in Ozma's army - but this instance of it always seems to me to fall flat. It is only on this latest reread, armed with the knowledge that Baum wrote The Marvelous Land of Oz, not so much as a stand-alone story meant for children, but as a spring-board for a musical featuring the two best-beloved characters from stage adaptations of The Wonderful Wizard of Oz, that I began to have a better understanding of the girl-rebellion plot-line. Apparently, when creating General Jinjur and her army of attractive girls, he was thinking of the possibility of a chorus-line of young dancers in the stage production! Although this knowledge didn't make this aspect of the story any more successful, in my estimation, it did explain something that had long puzzled me.

Despite its flaws, this is a book well worth reading, even if only to get to the far superior Ozma of Oz, and I would recommend it to young fantasy lovers, with the proviso that they must read The Wonderful Wizard of Oz first. ( )
  AbigailAdams26 | Mar 15, 2016 |
Oz books were great fun. ( )
  Bruce_Deming | Feb 5, 2016 |
This was an unexpectedly bizarre ride through a world that I thought I knew (Oz), and I was thoroughly entertained. It is much wilder and unpredictable than the Oz I imagined. I found myself cringing a bit at some of the dated, stereotypical attitudes on gender, and then marveling at some of the provocative plot twists that sounded as if they could have been written today (or tomorrow).

This passage made me think of "Howl" by Allen Ginsberg:
****
"I am convinced that the only people worthy of consideration in this world are the unusual ones. For the common folks are like the leaves of a tree, and live and die unnoticed."

"Spoken like a philosopher!" cried the Woggle-Bug, as he assisted the Tin Woodman to set Jack upon his feet.
****

I was just going to read a couple more in the Baum series to prepare for reading the Gregory Maguire reimaginings, but I just may read them all.
  bibleblaster | Jan 23, 2016 |
I was thrilled to discover that my university library had a copy of this book that I have been wanting to read since childhood. The oz series has always fascinated me, but due to the fact that there are so many books in the series I have never been able to acquire all of them. I discovered that my university library has 13 out of the original 14 that are written by L. Fran Baum which thrills me.

The book in many ways can be seen as an early American story that involves a transgender character, if you really want to think about it in those terms. What the book is though is a magical romp in a land that most of us are familiar with. We are introduced to new characters, like Jack Pumpkinhead. We are also revisited by familiar favorites, like the Scarecrow.

The book feels like a wonderful journey into the land of oz for those of us that deeply appreciate what Baum was doing with these stories. Baum uses current issues, like the women's suffragist movement of his time, beautifully in his books. This book showcases that movement and also is a really good fairy tale story. It holds up to the original classic that most of us love.

The book is primarily focused on a young boy named Tip that escapes the evil clutches of Mombi. Mombi is a low-level practicing witch, since it is forbidden to be a true witch other than the ones previously mentioned in Wizard of Oz. The book is about his journey and how ultimately he discovers what he is in the land of oz. The book is fun, beautifully written, and just a darn good read for anyone that wants to take an additional trip down to Oz. ( )
  SoulFlower1981 | Jan 20, 2016 |

L. Frank Baumprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
McKee, DavidIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Neill, John ReaIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To those excellent good fellows and eminent comedians David C. Montgomery and Fred A. Stone whose clever personations of the Tin Woodman and the Scarecrow have delighted thousands of children throughout the land, this book is gratefully dedicated.
In the country of the Gillikins, which is at the North of the Land of Oz, lived a youth called Tip.
"This," said the Gump, in a squeaky voice not at all proportioned to the size of its great body, is the most novel experience I ever heard of. The last thing I remember distinctly is walking through the forest and hearing a loud noise..."
This is adapted from the novel of the same name by L. Frank Baum.   Please do not combine.

Few fantasy lands have captured our hearts and imaginations as has the marvelous land of Oz. For over four generations, children and adults alike have reveled in the magical adventures of its beloved folk. Now, for the first time in over seventy years, the second book about Oz is presented here in the same deluxe format as the rare first edition, complete with all 16 of the original John R. Neill color plates, its colorful pictorial binding, and the many black-and-white illustrations that bring it to joyous life.

First issued in 1904, L. Frank Baum's The Marvelous Land of Oz is the story of the wonderful adventures of the young boy named Tip as he travels throughout the many lands of Oz. Here he meets with our old friends the Scarecrow and Tin Woodman, as well as some new friends like Jack Pumpkinhead, the Wooden Sawhorse, the Highly Magnified Woggle-Bug, and the amazing Gump. How they thwart the wicked plans of the evil witch Mombi and overcome the rebellion of General Jinjur and her army of young women is a tale as exciting and endearing today as it was when first published over eighty years ago.

Afterword by Peter Glassman. A facsimile of the rare first edition, complete with all 16 original color plates, a colorful pictorial binding, and over 125 of Neill's drawings. A Books of Wonder(R) Classic.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:57 -0400)

Tip and his creation, Jack Pumpkin, run away to Oz, where they save the city after it is captured by girls.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,865,421 books! | Top bar: Always visible