The Marvelous Land of Oz by L. Frank Baum

The Marvelous Land of Oz (original 1904; edition 1904)

by L. Frank Baum

1,969None3,427 (3.83)53
Member:m_k_m
Title:The Marvelous Land of Oz
Authors:L. Frank Baum
Info:Dover Publications Inc. (2003), Edition: First in This Edition, Paperback, 287 pages
Rating:***

The Marvelous Land of Oz by L. Frank Baum (1904)

adventure (22) American (13) children (83) children's (166) children's book (15) children's books (23) children's fiction (25) children's literature (61) classic (64) classics (39) ebook (26) fantasy (373) fiction (261) illustrated (15) juvenile (33) juvenile fiction (14) kids (18) L. Frank Baum (16) magic (19) novel (31) Oz (242) Oz Books (13) paperback (15) read (50) series (50) sff (14) to-read (18) Wizard of Oz (16) YA (14) young adult (26)

In the 2nd book, you have an introduction of a few new characters. I loved this book just because it was so weird. You have a the scarecrow that becomes arrogant. The Tin Man obsessed with his looks. Then you have a little boy that is actually a little girl. A magical saw horse, that is just comical in his description. A flying moody Gump.

As I said, this book is weird! But I love it. ( )
  cbilbo | Apr 8, 2014 |

As I said, this book is weird! But I love it. ( )
  cbilbo | Apr 8, 2014 |
The second Oz book, in which the Scarecrow is deposed as ruler of Oz by an ambitious young woman named Jinjur, but eventually the true ruler turns out to be Ozma, who for much of the book is the boy Tip. The book also introduces the evil witch Mombi, Jack Pumpkinhead, and H.M. Wogglebug T.E. (Thoroughly Educated). My father used to say my mother's initials V.T.E. stood for "very thoroughly educated." The story includes ,any characters from the first book, but not Dorothy. ( )
  antiquary | Feb 7, 2014 |
Having loved "The Wizard of Oz" movie since childhood, I finally got around to reading the first two books (alas, wish I'd read more as a kid...).

First book was good, a lot differences between the movie. I was surprised at how simple L. Frank Baum's writing style was. I know it's a children's book, and over a hundred years old, but the movie added, in my opinion, a lot more depth to the characters.

The Marvelous Land of Oz was just nonsensical at times. I don't even know how to rightly describe it...akin to Dr. Seuss maybe? (Even though Dr. Seuss is 50 years later.) It's almost as though L. Frank Baum said, "I'm going to sit down and write and whatever I come up with off the top of my head, that's going in the book!"

I plan to read a few more in the series, there's so many I don't know if I care enough about the characters and the world to finish the fourteen L. Frank Baum wrote, plus the many others by different authors.

Hopefully I'll enjoy the next one better when Dorothy returns as a character. ( )
  vonze | Feb 6, 2014 |
Everyone is use to the original Wizard of Oz because of the movie but the rest of the series is worth checking out if you are looking for fun children's literature. In this second book of the series, there are a lot of new, interesting characters like the Gump and the Saw-horse. Things like friendship and honesty and kindness are shown to be better than money and there is enough nonsensical fun to appeal to children. I liked it a lot! ( )
  Mrsbaty | Jan 15, 2014 |

L. Frank Baumprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
McKee, DavidIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Neill, John ReaIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To those excellent good fellows and eminent comedians David C. Montgomery and Fred A. Stone whose clever personations of the Tin Woodman and the Scarecrow have delighted thousands of children throughout the land, this book is gratefully dedicated.
In the country of the Gillikins, which is at the North of the Land of Oz, lived a youth called Tip.
"This," said the Gump, in a squeaky voice not at all proportioned to the size of its great body, is the most novel experience I ever heard of. The last thing I remember distinctly is walking through the forest and hearing a loud noise..."
This is adapted from the novel of the same name by L. Frank Baum.   Please do not combine.

Few fantasy lands have captured our hearts and imaginations as has the marvelous land of Oz. For over four generations, children and adults alike have reveled in the magical adventures of its beloved folk. Now, for the first time in over seventy years, the second book about Oz is presented here in the same deluxe format as the rare first edition, complete with all 16 of the original John R. Neill color plates, its colorful pictorial binding, and the many black-and-white illustrations that bring it to joyous life.

First issued in 1904, L. Frank Baum's The Marvelous Land of Oz is the story of the wonderful adventures of the young boy named Tip as he travels throughout the many lands of Oz. Here he meets with our old friends the Scarecrow and Tin Woodman, as well as some new friends like Jack Pumpkinhead, the Wooden Sawhorse, the Highly Magnified Woggle-Bug, and the amazing Gump. How they thwart the wicked plans of the evil witch Mombi and overcome the rebellion of General Jinjur and her army of young women is a tale as exciting and endearing today as it was when first published over eighty years ago.

Afterword by Peter Glassman. A facsimile of the rare first edition, complete with all 16 original color plates, a colorful pictorial binding, and over 125 of Neill's drawings. A Books of Wonder(R) Classic.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:46:56 -0400)

Tip and his creation, Jack Pumpkin, run away to Oz, where they save the city after it is captured by girls.

Seven editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Urban Romantics

An edition of this book was published by Urban Romantics.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,495,608 books! | Top bar: Always visible