Last Bus to Woodstock by Colin Dexter

Last Bus to Woodstock (original 1975; edition 1996)

by Colin Dexter

Series: Morse (1)

Member:kristinevandusen
Title:Last Bus to Woodstock
Authors:Colin Dexter
Info:Ivy Books (1996), Mass Market Paperback, 288 pages
Rating:**1/2

Last Bus to Woodstock by Colin Dexter (1975)

English (29)  Danish (2)  All (31)
[Last Bus To Woodstock] by Colin Dexter
Inspector Morse series Book #1
3.5 's

From The Book:
Beautiful Sylvia Kaye and another young woman had been seen hitching a ride not long before Sylvia's bludgeoned body is found outside a pub in Woodstock, near Oxford. Morse is sure the other hitchhiker can tell him much of what he needs to know. But his confidence is shaken by the cool inscrutability of the girl he's certain was Sylvia's companion on that ill-fated September evening. Shrewd as Morse is, he's also distracted by the complex scenarios that the murder set in motion among Sylvia's girlfriends and their Oxford playmates. To grasp the painful truth, and act upon it, requires from Morse the last atom of his professional discipline.

My Views:
Well I have to say that Inspector Morse is a better detective than "Yours Truly". As a police procedural it was okay. If I had not already been a fan of the TV series and if this book had not been the selection for a group read...and said group was one that I am very fond of...I more than likely would not have even rated it more than 2.5 stars. However...to its credit, the plot was sufficiently complex to keep me guessing...incorrectly I might add...until the very end.

I know that this was Colin Dexter's first novel in the Inspector Morse series and that the book was written in 1975, but the callous way that the author had the characters of Morse and Lewis deal with some gender issues just rubbed me the wrong way. Hopefully the Morse and Lewis characters will be better developed in the future books....but I don't think the next in this series will be a priority choice for reading materials for me. ( )
  Carol420 | May 1, 2017 |
I liked Colin Dexter's writing. His characters are unique and the plot is interesting enough to keep me guessing until the end. Morse is at times unlikable but fascinating enough to keep me wondering what he was going to do next. It is a short book with a lot packed into it. It has lots of twists, turns and surprises that keep things moving. I liked the puzzle aspects of the book too. I didn't necessarily like the way he treated Lewis but part of the problem was that Lewis was not man enough to stand up to him. I hope in the next books that Lewis' character becomes stronger and Morse becomes more sedate. I didn't like the old men following after the young girls and I found Morse's behavior with Sue undesirable. I liked the ending of the book and thought Colin Dexter did a great job keeping us in the dark. There were clues but a hard case to decide who the murderer was. I look forward to reading the next book in the series. I would recommend this book to those who like British mysteries. ( )
  EadieB | Apr 30, 2017 |
A great beginning to a stellar series. It's interesting to read Morse and Lewis meet for the first time and see their partnership develop over the course of a case. I felt bad for Morse's love life at the end - poor Chief Inspector! ( )
  SarahHayes | Feb 20, 2017 |
This is a British detective novel from 1975, and as such it holds up well. I felt like it could have been 1980 or even 1983. Seriously, this is the first in the BBC's Inspector Morse series from a couple of decades ago and while I vividly remember John Thaw as the grumpy and enigmatic Morse and that other guy as the beleaguered Lewis, I don't remember the plots and murderers at all. So as a late 20th century detective story, I think it hits all the marks pretty well. It's a little disjointed at times, but it is Dexter's first book in the series. I have a feeling he hits his stride later. And since I'm familiar with Oxford, England it's fun and nostalgic to note the landmarks and the Brit social culture itself, especially the pubs and theaters where Morse can be frequently found during working hours pondering case details. He's like the Don Draper of the Thames Valley police department. ( )
  Virginia-A | Dec 21, 2016 |
The first Morse novel. The mystery was really well written. There were clues all along the way that could lead one on to the murderer but nothing definite- the ending was still something of a surprise. Definitely looking forward to reading the rest of the series. ( )
  eschaalman | Nov 30, 2016 |

Colin Dexterprimary authorall editionscalculated
Borgen, KarinTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hammer, Marie S.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Have, GerdTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"Let's wait just a bit longer, please," said the girl in dark-blue trousers and the light summer coat.
Unknown if novel or TV episode

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0804114900, Mass Market Paperback)

"[Morse is] the most prickly, conceited, and genuinely brilliant detective since Hercule Poirot."
--The New York Times Book Review
"YOU DON'T REALLY KNOW MORSE UNTIL YOU'VE READ
HIM. . . . Viewers who have enjoyed British actor John Thaw as Morse in the PBS Mystery! anthology series should welcome the deeper character development in Dexter's novels."
--Chicago Sun-Times

"Few novelists write books as intelligent and deliciously frightening as those by Colin Dexter. . . . What Mr. Dexter does so well, so brilliantly, is weave a thick, cerebral story chock-full of literary references and clever red herrings."
--The Washington Times
"A MASTERFUL CRIME WRITER WHOM FEW OTHERS MATCH."
--Publishers Weekly

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:13 -0400)

Beautiful Sylvia Kaye and another young woman had been seen hitching a ride not long before Sylvia's bludgeoned body is found outside a pub in Woodstock near Oxford. Morse is sure the other hitchhiker can tell him much of what he needs to know. But his confidence is shaken by the cool inscrutability of the girl he's certain was Sylvia's companion on that ill-fated September evening. Shrewd as Morse is he's also distracted by the complex scenarios that the murder set in motion among Sylvia's girlfriends and their Oxford playmates.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,444,976 books! | Top bar: Always visible