Lost States: True Stories of Texlahoma,…

Lost States: True Stories of Texlahoma, Transylvania, and Other States… (original 2010; edition 2010)

by Michael J. Trinklein

Member:amkm
Title:Lost States: True Stories of Texlahoma, Transylvania, and Other States That Never Made it
Authors:Michael J. Trinklein
Info:
Rating:**

Lost States: True Stories of Texlahoma, Transylvania, and Other States That Never Made it by Michael J. Trinklein (2010)

The information was interesting. I didn't appreciate the author's style of writing. ( )
  davemac | Sep 5, 2014 |
Though it only provided anecdotal accounts of an abundance of statehood proposals, this was a fascinating collection on a subject that I knew disturbingly little about. Highly recommended for any armchair history buffs like me. ( )
  matthewbloome | May 19, 2013 |
Lots of overlapping information with another state book, How the States Got Their shape but in a more humorous, quippy tone. The maps and graphics were very helpful and interesting. I also have some new historical figures to research.
  akmargie | Apr 4, 2013 |
I received this book for free through Goodreads First Reads program and I'm glad I did! What a fun book! You certainly could read it straight through, but it is a lot more fun to pick it up and read about a few states at a time and really savor the book. This book tells the stories of states that 'might have been'. The first one I read was about the state of Chicago. It came as a big surprise to me as a girl from downstate (anything outside of Chicago!) that in the early 1900's Chicago tried to leave the state of Illinois.....and downstaters STOPPED them! How times change. I don't know anyone from southern IL who doesn't think the state would be improved immediately by kicking Chicago out!

The next biggest surprise is how recent some of these attempts at statehood were. I'd assumed these all took place in the early days of the US, before the 50 stars were established. NOT TRUE! For example, just a few years ago, there was a movement to split a state name 'Acadia' from Maine!

I'm sure there will be other surprises, too. I plan to take my time and enjoy this book! One more fun feature....the book cover unfolds to become a map of America as it would look if some of these attempts had succeeded! ( )
  Time2Read2 | Mar 31, 2013 |
Entertaining book about what could have been. Trinklein's style is engaging and humorous, though some of the entries are rather far fetched. ( )
  smileyman | Jul 23, 2012 |
Lost States is a quick little jaunt into the possibilities of what might have been had things gone in a slightly different direction. It's informative and fun, and if you're a history nerd, you should totally check it out.
added by cinaedus | editThe Stranger, Paul Constant (Mar 16, 2010)

For Lynne and Tim, who tolerate my quirks
daily. And my parents, who drove Patti and me
through nearly every state in the union.

The history of proposed states which never quite made it.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Lost States by trinkleinmichael was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,399,798 books! | Top bar: Always visible