Lemon Meringue pie murder by joanne fluke

Lemon Meringue pie murder (original 2003; edition 2003)

by joanne fluke

Member:Alice_Wonder
Title:Lemon Meringue pie murder
Authors:joanne fluke
Info:Recorded Books (2003), Audio CD
Collections:Kindle Books, Fiction, Read but unowned
Rating:***

Lemon Meringue Pie Murder by Joanne Fluke (2003)

My first Hannah Swensen Mystery. I liked the characters but felt there were too many to keep track of. I liked Hannah in particular. Encouraged to read more of the series. Coookie recipes made me hungry! :) ( )
  hklibrarian | Jul 8, 2013 |
I feel a bit dishonest giving this book one star, but in some ways it does deserve it. I skipped some parts. I was distracted and couldn't give the story proper attention. I'm already forgetting large chunks of the story. The first chunk (I estimate at about 100 pages) was very nice and cozy. The author took her time to lower Hannah gently into the mystery. It never got any other way except downhill from there. There wasn't much twittering of Tracey to endure, but when one superfluous character falls, another takes its place. It's like a hydra or the roman legions. Anyway I found the Michelle character boring. It was weird to find inter cultural ( that's how it says it right in the book) romance taboo - I simply wish to move on to the next book and be done with this review. ( )
  Jiraiya | Jun 22, 2013 |
My husband jokes about the various mystery series I read and the professions of the solvers of said mysteries. He loves to pick some far fetched job or hobby and then have them solve the crime. Topiary sculptor or glass blower, teapot collector or professional sock darner you name it they solve crimes. I myself am perfectly okay with this idea but then, I do have a remarkable ability to really suspend disbelief. So it all works out.

I'm just fine with Hannah Swensen being a baker who just happens to solve murders. I'm good with the idea the police in her town can't seem to solve any of these murders without her input. I'm alright with the fact Hannah stumbles on dead bodies more often than most people come across litter. This series works for me and I do enjoy most the characters.

In this outing Hannah's mom discovers a body in the basement of a house recently purchased by one of Hannah's love interests, Norman. (See she didn't stumble on the body this time so it works) In no time Hannah is investigating the murder and even has the okay of her other love interest, Mike, a detective in the local police. There's also a sub plot of stolen money and a local boy being led astray my his cousin and all of this takes place during 4th of July festivities.

I had a hard time sticking with this story. It moved just a little slow for me and it wasn't to hard to figure out who and why the murder was committed. The side stories of Hannah's diet and her little sisters visit didn't really move the story along (though I did like the character of the little sister). There were also time where Hannah came across as a little prudish or behind the times which just struck me as odd.

None of this turned me off to the series and I'm sure I'll keep plugging away. Plus, there are some really good recipes throughout and I love a good cookie recipe. ( )
  bremmd | Sep 19, 2010 |
The fourth Hannah Swenson cozy mystery. This introduced a couple new characters, but not so many that you wouldn't keep the story lines straight. While these books are entertaining, they won't make you brilliant. However I do think they will help deductive/inductive reasoning. ( )
  sunfi | Aug 8, 2009 |
As I mentioned in my earlier review of "Blueberry Muffin Murder" readers shouldn't expect a deep involved mystery from Joanne Fluke. These books definately run in the 'cozy' category. My 6th grade step-daughter reads and enjoys them, as well. In my opinon each of the four novels have gotten progressively more interesting. (I seem to read them each a little quicker than the previos volume as well!) This volume finds Hannah involved in the murder of one of the town's residents. She also finds out about an old bank robbery, and some suspicious activity involving a local mentally handicapped man. How do these relate, if at all, Hannah wonders. By now, residents of Lake Eden are used to Hannah involving herself in murder investigations despite the lack of encouragement from local law enforcement. As a side note, things seem to be coming to a head in Hannah's love triange with handsome policeman Mike, and fun and earnest dentist Norman. Readers know all these characters now, and probably everyone has their favorites. We enjoy Hannah's attitude and delight in the antics of her sisters, mother and niece. There are flaws here, hence my three star rating. Readers obviously have to suspend reality when reading Fluke's novels. Medical information is quickly given to parties it shouldn't be. Everyone seems to run their mouths and volunteer information. Hannah has yet to meet someone who kicks her to the curb for questioning them. I guess the clues and information come across a little too conveniently. Still the entertainment value here is high. This is a fun series to hook yourself on. If you question whether or not to buy it, especially if you haven't tried a Hannah mystery before, borrow it from the library or buy it here used cheaply. ( )
1 vote pacey1927 | Nov 17, 2008 |
This book is for The Great Nicky Borzoi. We miss you, boy.
Hannah Swensen was startled awake at four forty-seven in the morning.
ebook ISBNs: 9780758247223 (0758247222); 9780758247247

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0758215045, Mass Market Paperback)

Hannah Swensen, owner of The Cookie Jar and Lake Eden, Minnesota's own amateur sleuth extraordinaire, returns in "Lemon Meringue Pie Murder" to track down the killer of a neighbor with a sweet tooth.It's summer in Lake Eden and Hannah's younger sister Michelle is coming home for a visit. But before the family reunion can get under way, Hannah discovers the body of a local resident in the woman's basement. The only clue is one of Hannah's luscious lemon meringue pies on the kitchen counter with only one slice missing...even though from the looks of the victim's kitchen, she was planning an intimate dinner for two.Includes nine original cookie and dessert recipes for you to try!

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:27:15 -0400)

Just when her life seems to settle down, Hannah Swensen is surprised by the news that her companion, Norman Rhodes, is buying a house. Soon after Hannah and her mother arrive to clear out the house, they discover the dead body of the former owner, Rhonda Sar, along with some of Hannah's famous lemon meringue pie. Hannah must switch her baker's hat for her sleuthing cap and get to the bottom of this puzzling mustery… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,355,060 books! | Top bar: Always visible