Growing Patterns by Sarah Campbell

Growing Patterns

by Sarah Campbell

This book would be good to use in both a math class and in biology. The book starts of with the mysterious code of what provides plants and animals their shape, size, and color. The book then work towards answering this question with an exploration of the number pattern known as Fibonacci numbers. The beginning of the book starts with simple plants with 1, 2, and 3 petals. The amount of text correspond to the simplicity of the examples. As the sequence of numbers increase in size, the amount of text per page increases.
I enjoy the order in the information is presented. The author is asking the reader to use inductive reasoning to come to a conclusion about the patterns seen. The author also prompts readers with questions to help them make their observations. Observations could be made from beautiful, detailed photos included in each page of the book.
The book includes a pronunciation guide embedded in the text (Fibonacci)and a glossary the end. Both of these features are necessary to further explain about Fibonacci since the book is written for very young readers. ( )
  ktnguyen | Apr 26, 2014 |
As a mathematician and fan of the Golden Section, I was expecting a bit more from this book. The book contains three basic examples of Fibonacci numbers and one of the examples is lacking in relation. I was surprised to see a page at the end of the book that shows examples not containing Fibonacci numbers. The last page titled More about Fibonacci Numbers was more informative and interesting than the rest of the entire book.

That being said, this book could possibly spark an interest in a student who is otherwise not interested in mathematics. It shows a relation between math, nature, and the arts. The book design is great from the page size representing the Golden Ratio to the pattern of pictures in the flower example.

I really wish this book had more details about such a rich and wonderful topic. ( )
  mapalumbo | Jan 17, 2014 |
I really enjoyed this book. Fibonacci numbers were illustrated through flower petals. I never thought about it like that. Math can be found anywhere. I like at the end it gives a little information about the numbers and there's a glossary. ( )
  ArielDean | Apr 24, 2013 |
“Growing Patterns” is a book about how flowers and animals use the Fibonacci sequence all the time. It also goes through the process of how the two last numbers added together makes the next number. It shows examples of the sequence on all sorts of things like flowers, pine cones, and even pineapples. I think this is good because I think children can always have a good head start on math and if they get this sequence down early it could help in furthering their learning. Also, it shows that math really can be applied to the world, which most people try to deny.
Extension:
1. Go outside and count the patterns
2. Get a pine cone and pineapple and see if we can figure out the sequence
  katiekinsey | Apr 21, 2013 |
Z loves Fibonacci. This came too late in the game for him. Nothing new in terms of presentation. ( )
  beckydj | Mar 30, 2013 |

What's the biggest mathematical mystery in nature? Fibonacci numbers! The pattern creeps up in the most unexpected places. It's clear that math holds secrets to nature and that nature holds secret numbers.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,647,080 books! | Top bar: Always visible