Growing Patterns by Sarah Campbell

Growing Patterns

by Sarah Campbell

As a mathematician and fan of the Golden Section, I was expecting a bit more from this book. The book contains three basic examples of Fibonacci numbers and one of the examples is lacking in relation. I was surprised to see a page at the end of the book that shows examples not containing Fibonacci numbers. The last page titled More about Fibonacci Numbers was more informative and interesting than the rest of the entire book.

That being said, this book could possibly spark an interest in a student who is otherwise not interested in mathematics. It shows a relation between math, nature, and the arts. The book design is great from the page size representing the Golden Ratio to the pattern of pictures in the flower example.

I really wish this book had more details about such a rich and wonderful topic. ( )
  mapalumbo | Jan 17, 2014 |
I really enjoyed this book. Fibonacci numbers were illustrated through flower petals. I never thought about it like that. Math can be found anywhere. I like at the end it gives a little information about the numbers and there's a glossary. ( )
  ArielDean | Apr 24, 2013 |
“Growing Patterns” is a book about how flowers and animals use the Fibonacci sequence all the time. It also goes through the process of how the two last numbers added together makes the next number. It shows examples of the sequence on all sorts of things like flowers, pine cones, and even pineapples. I think this is good because I think children can always have a good head start on math and if they get this sequence down early it could help in furthering their learning. Also, it shows that math really can be applied to the world, which most people try to deny.
Extension:
1. Go outside and count the patterns
2. Get a pine cone and pineapple and see if we can figure out the sequence
  katiekinsey | Apr 21, 2013 |
Z loves Fibonacci. This came too late in the game for him. Nothing new in terms of presentation. ( )
  beckydj | Mar 30, 2013 |
Theme: Fibonacci Numbers
Genre: Children’s Picture book on numbers
Audience: Elementary/ Junior High
Curriculum: Math and science
Summary:
Book introduces the reader to what Fibonacci numbers are and the coincidence of how many plants in nature grow in Fibonacci numbers.
Personal Response:
This was a fun book to learn about a theory of math numbers. There’s also a unique ( )
  Je2nif4 | Feb 23, 2013 |

What's the biggest mathematical mystery in nature? Fibonacci numbers! The pattern creeps up in the most unexpected places. It's clear that math holds secrets to nature and that nature holds secret numbers.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,570,789 books! | Top bar: Always visible