Clementine by Cherie Priest

337None32,574 (3.79)11
Member:tapestry100
Title:Clementine
Authors:Cherie Priest
Info:Subterranean (2010), Edition: Deluxe Hardcover Edition, Hardcover, 208 pages
Collections:Your library, To read, Signed
Rating:**
Tags:SciFi, Steampunk, Signed, Unread

Clementine by Cherie Priest

English (22)  French (1)  All languages (23)

I liked Clementine better than Boneshaker. It stands alone in the same world, so you don’t have to read Boneshaker first. Clementine features a couple of really interesting protagonists and it’s nice to see a black man on the cover of a fantasy novel, isn’t it? The audio version of Clementine is terrific. The two narrators, Dina Pearlman and Victor Bevine, work together seamlessly. ( )
  Kat_Hooper | Apr 6, 2014 |
quick, fun-ish read. too character driven and simple and not enough steampunk awesomeness - save the dirigibles. the characters were interesting...but it was all reactionary. if that makes sense? could be a good little made-for-tv movie though. heh. ( )
  DawsonOakes | Jul 5, 2013 |
‘Clementine’ is the new name of the ‘Free Crow’, the recently stolen air ship of Captain Croggon Hainey. It’s making its way across the United States, carrying something heavy to a sanitarium in the east. Hainey, escaped slave and air pirate, is chasing it in the airship that he stole in turn, the Valkyrie, and has found himself the unwilling partner of Maria Isabella Boyd- Belle Boyd- former Confederate spy, former actress, and currently a Pinkerton agent – and, by the way, an actual historical person. Belle’s job is to see to it that the ‘Clementine’ makes it safely to the east and to capture Captain Hainey if possible; Hainey just wants his air ship back. But something is definitely wrong about the story Belle has been told, and temporarily teaming up with Hainey looks to be the best way to find out what’s going on.

This is a fast paced story, trimmed down like a race horse to fit into novella size. Yet despite the short length and nearly non-stop action, Priest has room to create fleshed out characters and to address the race relations of the late 1800s (in her Clockwork Century world, the Civil War is still going on after two decades), where having Belle, a white Southern woman, and former slave Hainey working and traveling together is unusual. A word from Belle against Hainey and he’d be strung up without question; Hainey’s all black crew doesn’t trust Belle and wants her gone as soon as possible because of this. This gives the short adventure story an extra tension and depth that many fantasy stories don’t have. ( )
  dark_phoenix54 | May 18, 2013 |
Clementine is a pure chase novel. The main story is the cross country chase of a stolen dirigible, using, naturally, another stolen dirigible. Her lead characters really make the story, especially the female main character, Belle Boyd. She's smart and capable, but not anachronous.

There is some world-building in the short novel, (more if you were lucky enough to also receive the bundled short "Tanglefoot," which I HIGHLY recommend,) this story is really about this single adventure, the pursuit of the Clementine.

Clementine is labeled as "The Clockwork Century #2," and although it is part of a larger whole, it doesn't suffer from reading out of sequence. Priest tells her story, whole, and if you read in sequence, you'll have a somewhat richer experience of the tale, but the previous story is not necessary to the enjoyment of this one. ( )
  StaceyHH | Apr 9, 2013 |
First of all, I have to mention how difficult it was to figure out what was up with this book. I checked my book sites when I was starting to read Dreadnought and they all said it was book three in the series. But where's book two?, I wondered. I checked my local library (nope), I checked Barnes and Nobles' site (uh uh) and I checked Amazon (yes, but only if I want to pay fifty bucks for a two hundred page book. A little more research turned up the fact that for some reason Tor did not want to release the second book, so it went somewhere else, thus the lack of availability and the expensiveness. At any rate, since I cannot stand to read series out of order, I purchased the Kindle copy for $2.99, which seems to be the only realistic way to read this book. Crazy!

The story was, as mentioned before, fairly brief. It should not have been in any other way. As it is, it sets and maintains a good pace. It fills a bit of a gap from the first book. It's nice to see an author following a dangling plot thread, rather than leaving you wondering why his ship got stolen in book one other than to give a bunch of airmen a reason to be on the scene in Seattle. Much like in the first book, the characters still lack a bit of depth, but they are slightly improved.

The best thing about Cherie Priest's books though are her kickass women. Maria Boyd, in my opinion, puts the ladies of Seattle to shame, because she is smart, strong and willing to do whatever she has to in order to get her way. Action and gunfights abound and Maria is often right in the middle of them.

Fun bit of wordplay:
"'That's big of you,' Maria said dryly.
'I'm glad you approve,' he responded with equal lack of humidity."
Oh, that's great. Lack of humidity! It's such a terrible joke (which is why I love it)!

A fun second book for the series, quick and easy, like sorbet or crackers to cleanse the palette after a course in a meal or wine tasting. ( )
  A_Reader_of_Fictions | Apr 1, 2013 |

Maria Isabella Boyd's success as a Confederate spy has made her too famous for further espionage work, and now her employment options are slim. Exiled, widowed, and on the brink of poverty...she reluctantly goes to work for the Pinkerton National Detective Agency in Chicago.Adding insult to injury, her first big assignment is commissioned by the Union Army. In short, a federally sponsored transport dirigible is being violently pursued across the Rockies and Uncle Sam isn't pleased. The Clementine is carrying a top secret load of military essentials--essentials which must be delivered to Louisville, Kentucky, without delay.Intelligence suggests that the unrelenting pursuer is a runaway slave who's been wanted by authorities on both sides of the Mason-Dixon for fifteen years. In that time, Captain Croggon Beauregard Hainey has felonied his way back and forth across the continent, leaving a trail of broken banks, stolen war machines, and illegally distributed weaponry from sea to shining sea.And now it s Maria's job to go get him.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,430,469 books! | Top bar: Always visible