Live to Tell: A Detective D. D. Warren Novel…

Live to Tell: A Detective D. D. Warren Novel (original 2010; edition 2010)

by Lisa Gardner

673None14,205 (3.99)1 / 40
Member:pandalibrarian
Title:Live to Tell: A Detective D. D. Warren Novel
Authors:Lisa Gardner
Info:Bantam (2010), Hardcover, 400 pages
Collections:2012 Book List, Your library
Tags:psychiatric nurses, troubled children, Mystery, family killings, relationships, audiobook

Live to Tell by Lisa Gardner (Author) (2010)

English (69)  Dutch (1)  All languages (70)
4th in the D. D. Warren series, something of a letdown, could've been a much shorter, tighter, and more tense story. I read this series out-of-order, as the books became available through swapping, and this is my last until more are published. Reading it, I noticed something else about the writing: Gardner didn't make the major characters very distinct. Although each chapter was titled with the name of a character, and unfolded mostly in first-person perspective, they all seemed quite similar. I had to keep asking myself "Now which one is Victoria? Which one is Danielle? Who's Karen?" The book I liked best in the series was an audio version of CATCH ME, and the narrator(s) did a great job of giving the characters distinct voices. I don't recall ever saying this before, but an abridged audio version of LIVE TO TELL might be an improvement! ( )
  SharronA | Mar 14, 2014 |
Well, I didn't see that one coming ... oh and there are some super creepy bits. ( )
  dreamingbear | Feb 6, 2014 |
Another Lisa Gardner masterpiece! Yet again, I was well over halfway through the book before I started to get an inkling of how all the seemingly unrelated characters all fitted together. Twists & turns all the way. Enthralling plot! ( )
  Frederika.Roberts | Nov 21, 2013 |
This is the Fourth Novel in the DD Warren Series. I must say this was one of those mind game psycho thrillers (which I love)
The only compliant I have before I get into my review is I'm not sure if I am really like D.D. Warren very much. This is the second book in a row where she gets an idea in her head of who committed the crime, and then send the whole book and squad to prove her wrong….and she will not let anyone change her mind about it. It is frustrating and I found myself yelling at my cd player in my car because of this ( I have issues)

So… the book starts off by paging D.D. Warren out of a date, which she was hoping to get down and dirty since it has been forever since she has had any action with a gentleman caller. Warren come upon a very disturbing scene. A whole family murdered; the entire family, the wife, three children and by the looks of it by their father before he went and shot himself in the head. Then the next night another family murdered. This also looks like a murder suicide caused by the father.
D.D.'s new partner, Phil, has a shadow, Alex, a former agent turned professor at the Academy. Of course D.D. compares him to a George Clooney look alike and he soon become her shadow and partner throughout the book. I also sense some romance building up between them throughout the book.

We soon learn that this book focus mainly on mental illness in children and the main scene is the pediatric care unit at the hospital, which has a lock down psych unit where these disturbed children are. We soon met Danielle. She is a pediatric nurse at the facility, who herself was a lone survivor of a massacre caused by her father. She witnessed her father kill her WHOLE family and then shot himself in the head in her bedroom, leaving her a sole survivor of the ordeal. Now the the 25th anniversary only two days away, Danielle finds herself losing it. Drinking more, hearing her dead father's voice in her said singing " oh Danny girl, my pretty pretty Danny girl". So when Detective Warren shows up at the facility, Danielle's immediate thinks "it has happened again" Of course Ms. Warren already is thinking Danielle is the person killing off these family's but she is unable to prove it since Danielle has such good alibies.

Then we met a devoted mother, Victoria Oliver, who is finding it hard to remember what normal really is. She would do anything to ensure that her troubled son has a childhood and left up to her ex-husband be in an institution. She will do whatever it takes to keep her son safe, even if that threat is her own son.

When the autopsy comes back that the fathers of the murdered family's was already dead before the supposed self-inflicted gunshot was fired throws the whole squad for a loop and now everyone is trying to figure out what the heck happened. A link soon pops up that connects the murdered families. The locked down psych unit. Each family had a child that had a period of stay there, yet in both cases the violent child was one of the murder victims, so what other connection could there be?
Perhaps it is Danielle. Maybe it is the new age healer, Andrew Lightfoot, who had been advising at least one of the families on how to 'treat' their child's violent behavioral issues, who holds the key? ( )
  sareiner | Jun 26, 2013 |
Great read. The story kept me thinking the entire time. Figured out who did it only a chapter before it was revealed. D.D. reminds me a little of Eve Dallas...without the baggage. ( )
  lesmel | May 16, 2013 |
This is the third Gardner book I've read and I love how she builds the story and keeps you wanting to turn the page until the books ends too quickly.

I liked the story that she created for this book with the different character, D.D. Warren, the detective that has occurred in three other books, Danielle, a workaholic, and Victoria, and struggling single mother who has one very scary child. Gardner takes these three characters on one very scary and somewhat unsettling ride as she pulls you into the story

I really thought this was a fantastic book and my favorite Gardner so far
added by ELBrown | editLibraryThing Early Reviewers

I don't remember that night much anymore.

Investigating the murder of an entire family that initially appears to be a senseless act of violence, Detective D. D. Warren uncovers disturbingly personal ties to the case that push her to the edges of her sanity.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Live to Tell by Lisa Gardner was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,455,826 books! | Top bar: Always visible