Live to Tell: A Detective D. D. Warren Novel…

Live to Tell: A Detective D. D. Warren Novel (original 2010; edition 2010)

by Lisa Gardner

966758,947 (3.95)1 / 43
Member:pandalibrarian
Title:Live to Tell: A Detective D. D. Warren Novel
Authors:Lisa Gardner
Info:Bantam (2010), Hardcover, 400 pages
Collections:Your library, 2012 Book List
Tags:psychiatric nurses, troubled children, Mystery, family killings, relationships, audiobook

Live to Tell by Lisa Gardner (2010)

Recently added bySusan.Marton.Heins, Rena37, private library, FPLD, Janie_Wanie, SymphonySil

English (75)  Dutch (2)  All (77)
This book is about family annihilators and psychotic children. It's gruesome. I wanted so much to believe that the gigolo did it... Although the book is about detective D.D. Warren, the first person is narrated by someone else...once the listener is accustomed to the multiple narrators, it works. Again, the main character is not D.D., but centers on Danielle. There were a couple of instances where D.D. was not likeable, in fact despicable in her actions. The bulk of the characters are, in a word, psychotic. On to D.D, book 5. ( )
  buffalogr | Jan 11, 2017 |
It wouldn't be fair of me to rate this book. I had to give up on it for personal reasons, due to the subject matter. The story centers around several families being murdered presumably each by the father who then commits suicide. This actually happened to someone I knew, so I couldn't keep listening to the book. I enjoy the rest of the series and plan to go on to the next book after this one.
  crynski | Nov 26, 2016 |
Live to Tell
3.5 Stars

Note: This is a review of the audiobook read by 4 separate female narrators. The narration flows smoothly and the 4 distinct voices makes it easy to follow the transitions in perspective. My one small nitpick is that the male and female voices sound identical.

Warning: Some readers may find the subject matter of this book, family annihilators and children suffering from acute psychiatric issues, difficult to read about. While the descriptions of the troubled children are disturbing and emotionally draining, Gardner should be praised for tackling such a controversial topic and for presenting it in a compelling and sympathetic manner.

That said, there are several aspect of the book that annoyed me. First and foremost are the transitions between first and third person perspective. Rather than adding to the plot, it causes the pacing to lag and the tension to deflate.

While the mystery is good and following the various clues and suspects is entertaining, the identity of the villain is obvious toward the end and the motive is not surprising. Moreover, the 'woo woo' elements, as D.D. calls them, are unnecessary and detract from the excitement and suspense of the story. Also, the final explanation offered in the epilogue undermines the evildoer's culpability and leaves the reader with a dissatisfied feeling.

The characters are well-developed and interesting, Danielle in particular. Unfortunately, D.D. is still coming across as a secondary character and it is difficult to sympathize with Victoria, despite the hardships of her life, because her actions and the reasons for them are simply incomprehensible to me.

Overall, a solid thriller for fans of Gardner's D.D. Warren series but for those new to this author, I would recommend the Quincy/Rainie series instead. ( )
  Lauren2013 | Nov 19, 2016 |
D.D. Warren is a thirty-eight year old blonde, head of a three-person homicide unit in the Boston Police Department. Her work gives her little time for a personal life.

The call that interrupts D.D.'s latest blind date is horrific: a "family annihilation," the murder-suicide of a family of five. It appears that the father succumbed to the pressure of financial problems and perpetrated this terrible deed. But when another family suffers the same fate the very next night, D.D.'s cop instinct tells her to look for connections--and the connections lead to a locked-down children's acute psych unit where the most troubled of children are brought for care. One of the caregivers at the psych unit, Danielle, has her own crushing past. She was the sole survivor of the near-annihilation of her own family and, unable to leave the past behind, she is burying herself in her work as the twenty-fifth anniversary of that event draws near. It's clear that Danielle is in some sense a link between the past and the present, but what is the nature of that link?

Dark though the story is, the writing is so effective that you are in a sense left to draw your own conclusions in the end.
  Carol420 | May 31, 2016 |
Listened to the audio version. Not only was the story good but the narration was good too. ( )
  kmmsb459 | Jan 24, 2016 |
This is the third Gardner book I've read and I love how she builds the story and keeps you wanting to turn the page until the books ends too quickly.

I liked the story that she created for this book with the different character, D.D. Warren, the detective that has occurred in three other books, Danielle, a workaholic, and Victoria, and struggling single mother who has one very scary child. Gardner takes these three characters on one very scary and somewhat unsettling ride as she pulls you into the story

I really thought this was a fantastic book and my favorite Gardner so far
added by ELBrown | editLibraryThing Early Reviewers

Gardner, Lisaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Aa, Ralph van derTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Deniard, CécileTraductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gray, RachelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lee, Ann MarieNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lowman, RebeccaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Potter, KirstenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Windgassen, MichaelÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I don't remember that night much anymore.

Detective D. D. Warren investigates as suspects two violent child survivors of family massacres who are institutionalized in the pediatric psychiatry ward of a Cambridge hospital.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Lisa Gardner's book Live to Tell was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,445,003 books! | Top bar: Always visible