Live to Tell: A Detective D. D. Warren Novel…

Live to Tell: A Detective D. D. Warren Novel (original 2010; edition 2010)

by Lisa Gardner

7127213,240 (3.97)1 / 40
Member:exfed
Title:Live to Tell: A Detective D. D. Warren Novel
Authors:Lisa Gardner
Info:Bantam (2010), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 400 pages
Rating:***1/2

Live to Tell by Lisa Gardner (Author) (2010)

English (70)  Dutch (2)  All languages (72)
Loved this book!!! First book I have read by Lisa Gardner and looking forward to reading more of this series.Kept me interested the whole way through, especially liked the unexpected bits, although sad for Lucy hoping for a better outcome for her. ( )
  ReedaPNR | Sep 15, 2014 |
On a warm summer night in a working-class Boston neighborhood, an unthinkable crime has been committed: Four members of a family have been brutally murdered. The father - also a possible suspect - lies clinging to life in the Intensive Care Unit. Was it murder-suicide? Or something worse? Veteran police detective D. D. Warren is certain of one thing: There's more to this case than meets the eye.

Danielle Burton is a survivor, a dedicated nurse whose passion is helping the children of a locked-down pediatric psych ward. But she remains haunted by the memories of a family tragedy that shattered her life twenty-five years ago. The dark anniversary is approaching, and when Detective D. D. Warren and her partner show up at the facility, Danielle immediately realizes: it's begun again.

A devoted mother, Victoria Oliver has a hard time remembering what normalcy is like. She will do anything to ensure that her troubled son has some semblance of a childhood. She will love him no matter what. Nurture him. Keep him safe. Protect him. Even when the threat comes from within her own house.

I really enjoyed this book. I liked the treatment of the issue of mental illness and how it affects children and their families. I give this book an A+! and look forward to reading Lisa Gardner's next book. ( )
  moonshineandrosefire | Sep 10, 2014 |
4th in the D. D. Warren series, something of a letdown, could've been a much shorter, tighter, and more tense story. I read this series out-of-order, as the books became available through swapping, and this is my last until more are published. Reading it, I noticed something else about the writing: Gardner didn't make the major characters very distinct. Although each chapter was titled with the name of a character, and unfolded mostly in first-person perspective, they all seemed quite similar. I had to keep asking myself "Now which one is Victoria? Which one is Danielle? Who's Karen?" The book I liked best in the series was an audio version of CATCH ME, and the narrator(s) did a great job of giving the characters distinct voices. I don't recall ever saying this before, but an abridged audio version of LIVE TO TELL might be an improvement! ( )
  SharronA | Mar 14, 2014 |
Well, I didn't see that one coming ... oh and there are some super creepy bits. ( )
  dreamingbear | Feb 6, 2014 |
Another Lisa Gardner masterpiece! Yet again, I was well over halfway through the book before I started to get an inkling of how all the seemingly unrelated characters all fitted together. Twists & turns all the way. Enthralling plot! ( )
  Frederika.Roberts | Nov 21, 2013 |
This is the third Gardner book I've read and I love how she builds the story and keeps you wanting to turn the page until the books ends too quickly.

I liked the story that she created for this book with the different character, D.D. Warren, the detective that has occurred in three other books, Danielle, a workaholic, and Victoria, and struggling single mother who has one very scary child. Gardner takes these three characters on one very scary and somewhat unsettling ride as she pulls you into the story

I really thought this was a fantastic book and my favorite Gardner so far
added by ELBrown | editLibraryThing Early Reviewers

I don't remember that night much anymore.

Investigating the murder of an entire family that initially appears to be a senseless act of violence, Detective D. D. Warren uncovers disturbingly personal ties to the case that push her to the edges of her sanity.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Live to Tell by Lisa Gardner was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,801,476 books! | Top bar: Always visible