Rot and Ruin by Jonathan Maberry

Rot and Ruin

by Jonathan Maberry

1,209956,612 (4.07)57

English (94)  Italian (1)  All (95)
I have to say that I didn't really like this book at the beginning. The first 1/3 of the book was setting everything up and it just felt slow to me. But the last 2/3 of the book were so much better! I loved the development of the main characters as the book progressed. The plot was fairly simple to figure out but I still enjoyed it and the descriptions painted a colorful cast of characters as well as locations. ( )
  JillKenna | Jul 9, 2017 |
Loved it! Really great book for zombie fans!
  Verkruissen | Jul 8, 2017 |
Rot and Ruin is set in a post-apocalyptic zombie infested California where a group of survivors have formed a community about fourteen years after First Night, the night the zombies rose from the dead. Benny Imura, on his fifteenth birthday has to look for a job in order to earn his rations. After sifting through several jobs that he didn’t like or wasn’t cut out for, he joins his half-brother Tom in the family business—killing zombies. Tom is strong both physically and mentally, honorable, and a great person to have on your side during a zombie apocalypse, but despite this, his brother doesn’t like him because he feels Tom abandoned his parents on First Night.

The second half of the novel is much better than the first half, where not a whole lot happens. Where it heats up is when the legend of the Lost Girl is mentioned. Benny feels a strange connection to her, someone Tom has been searching for years for. This is the impetus to set them against the story’s villains, also zombie hunters, who want to kill the Lost Girl because of her knowledge of the Gamelands, where kids are pitted without weapons in fights against zombies. An attack on their community leads Benny and Tom in a collision course with the villains.

The writing in this novel is top notch. The pace of the first half is slow but gets much better in the second half. I liked the world-building. Although this isn’t a fresh take on zombie fiction, it is exceptionally well done. My biggest problem with the novel is that Benny, unlike Tom, is not a very likable character. He is whiny and generally annoying. Granted, he gets better as the story unfolds, but as far as protagonists go, I wasn’t particularly impressed with him. Otherwise, this was an enjoyable piece of zombie fiction.

Carl Alves - author of Blood Street ( )
  Carl_Alves | Jun 26, 2016 |
This book was awesome. Really, the only indication that it's a YA book is the lack of swearing and big, smarty-pants language. Maberry didn't talk down to readers, and the story was really well done. I saw a few of the twists coming, but so what? I can usually see the major plot twists coming in fancy-pants adult books too.

This book gets two thumbs up and a wish for "Rot & Ruin 2: Goin' East" ( )
  imahorcrux | Jun 22, 2016 |
What can I say, Rot & Ruin was not at all what I expected. I thought I was going to jump into something resembling The Walking Dead. I'm happy to say that is not the case.

First Night totally screwed humanity. For some reason the dead came back to life that night and brought terror with it. I do hope that later on in the series we find out what the hell went wrong, and why there was suddenly undead everywhere. Benny has always thought his brother, Tom, was a coward. He doesn't understand why everyone admires Tom for his job as a zombie hunter. Benny is forced to apprentice with his brother since none of the other job prospects worked out. He's expecting to go out guns blazing to kill zoms. To Benny, zoms are evil and deserve to be killed by any means necessary. After his first trip out into the Ruin his opinion changes slightly.

Although Benny is only 15, this is a story of growing up. He also learns that sometimes people can be worse than the zoms. He learns about honor, respect, survival, and hope.

The characters were amazing. At times Benny seems kind of bratty, but that's because he doesn't understand the way things really are. He's thrown into obstacles and has to think fast to keep himself and those he cares about safe. Tom is an ideal role model for everyone. he's humble and tries to do the right thing, even when the world has gone to shit. Nix is fierce. She doesn't lose hope that things can be better. She also doesn't let fear hold her back. The Lost Girl may be one of my favorite characters. She's quite possibly insane, but has so much depth in her character and actions. I really hope we can learn more about her and her time in the Ruin.

The action scenes are intense, but I enjoyed being inside Benny's head the most. There's a constant battle as he tries to form a new opinion about the zoms and humankind in general.

I highly recommend this book for fans of coming of age stories, and even zombie fans can appreciate this novel.

Who's the bigger monster: the zoms, or those whose hearts still beat??? ( )
  BookishThings | Mar 23, 2016 |
This is no ordinary zombie novel. Maberry has given it a soul in the form of two brothers who captured my heart from the first page and refused to let go.
added by cmwilson101 | editAmazon, Maria V. Snyder

Benny Imura couldn't hold a job, so he took to killing. It was the family business.

In the zombie-infested, post-apocalyptic America where Benny Imura lives, every teenager must find a job by the time they turn fifteen or get their rations cut in half. Benny doesn't want to apprentice as a zombie hunter with his boring older brother Tom, but he has no choice. He expects a tedious job whacking zoms for cash, but what he gets is a vocation that will teach him what it means to be human.

In a post-apocalyptic world where fences and border patrols guard the few people left from the zombies that have overtaken civilization, fifteen-year-old Benny Imura is finally convinced that he must follow in his older brother's footsteps and become a bounty hunter.… (more)

Jonathan Maberry is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Author Chat

Jonathan Maberry chatted with LibraryThing members from Mar 22, 2010 to Apr 4, 2010. Read the chat.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,101,304 books! | Top bar: Always visible