Miss Brooks Loves Books (And I Don't)…

Miss Brooks Loves Books (And I Don't)

by Barbara Bottner

Miss Brooks is the librarian and she reads many different books. The girl does not like any of these books and he finally finds one he thinks is interesting for book week.
  ashleyann65 | Jul 1, 2014 |
This is a charming story about a little girl that does not understand her librarians passion and excitement for books. The little girl in the story has never found a book that she enjoys. Her librarian on the other hand gets excited about all books and does everything imaginable to celebrate books and share them with the children. The little girl in the book tells her librarian, "I'll never love a book the way you do." This prompts the librarian to load the little girl up with all kinds of books. After reading a gazzillion books, the little girl finally finds a book that speaks to her! The book she finds is Shrek. She loves the book because the story talks about warts. My favorite illustration in the book is the one where the little girl is dressed up like shrek and she is giving her librarian a thumbs up while the librarian is also giving her a thumbs up wearing a Shrek nose. This book promotes the idea that there is a book out there for everyone, they just have to find it! I think this is a very important message to pass on to young readers. I'm sure many young readers have experienced not enjoying books. Reading this story to them I feel would make them hopeful and help them see that they too can find a book just for them. ( )
  Jdwalker | May 20, 2014 |
Great story of a dedicated librarian - who loves her job and matching the right book to the right kid. ( )
  dms02 | Feb 27, 2014 |
I'm going to base my next lesson plan on this. Love it. ( )
  madamepince | Feb 20, 2014 |
A school librarian loves reading and encourages students to read. She even dresses in character when she reads aloud. One young student claims that she doesn't like any books. Finally, a book appeals to her and she finds herself just as enthusiastic about books as the librarian.
  n.oreilly | Nov 12, 2013 |

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0375846824, Hardcover)

Amazon Best Books of the Month, March 2010: If ever there were a perfect picture book for those so-called "reluctant readers" this is it. Miss Brooks Loves Books (And I Don't) tells the story of Missy, a little girl who rejects just about every story that comes her way. She complains that "They're too kissy. Too pink. And too silly." The tireless librarian Miss Brooks is not about to give up, nor is Missy's mom. When Missy realizes she'd like to read about warts, Mom comes through with an inspired choice that sets this picky reader on the path to book bliss. Leave it to the pros--author Barbara Bottner and illustrator Michael Emberley to hit the funny bone with this clever and quirky new read.  --Lauren Nemroff

See Inside Miss Brooks Loves Books (And I Don't)(Click on Thumbnails to Enlarge)

Too Kissy, Too Pink, Too Silly Stubborn, Smelly, Snorty Ogre

Missy 1 Missy 2 Missy 3

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:44:03 -0400)

A first-grade girl who does not like to read stubbornly resists her school librarian's efforts to convince her to love books until she finds one that might change her mind.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,613,174 books! | Top bar: Always visible