Miss Brooks Loves Books (And I Don't)…

Miss Brooks Loves Books (And I Don't)

by Barbara Bottner

Great story of a dedicated librarian - who loves her job and matching the right book to the right kid. ( )
  dms02 | Feb 27, 2014 |
I'm going to base my next lesson plan on this. Love it. ( )
  madamepince | Feb 20, 2014 |
A school librarian loves reading and encourages students to read. She even dresses in character when she reads aloud. One young student claims that she doesn't like any books. Finally, a book appeals to her and she finds herself just as enthusiastic about books as the librarian.
  n.oreilly | Nov 12, 2013 |
I like this book because it's message is simple and clear, "people enjoy reading books that are of interest." Anyone can read a book, but it takes the right book to make someone fall in love with reading. The illustration of this book is appealing to me because it reminds me of a comic strip. I loved reading those short and funny stories in newspapers when I was younger. I also liked how the author and illustrator created the main character as a socially awkward child. The child looks nothing like the other children, consider's herself as a freak and actually enjoys reading a book about warts. Even though the child looked, thought, and acted apart from the others, the child learned to love reading and that was all Mis Brooks cared about. ( )
  Kwatkins89 | Sep 24, 2013 |
This is a story about a reluctant reader and a librarian who opens up the world of books to him! The librarian (dressed in funky, cool outfits) and the mom (a painter with a work in progress during the story) don't let the little boy give up on picking something for Book Week, so the story has a delightful ending!

The illustrations are fun and colorful, too, and are a nice match for this story. ( )
  dukefan86 | May 29, 2013 |

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0375846824, Hardcover)

Amazon Best Books of the Month, March 2010: If ever there were a perfect picture book for those so-called "reluctant readers" this is it. Miss Brooks Loves Books (And I Don't) tells the story of Missy, a little girl who rejects just about every story that comes her way. She complains that "They're too kissy. Too pink. And too silly." The tireless librarian Miss Brooks is not about to give up, nor is Missy's mom. When Missy realizes she'd like to read about warts, Mom comes through with an inspired choice that sets this picky reader on the path to book bliss. Leave it to the pros--author Barbara Bottner and illustrator Michael Emberley to hit the funny bone with this clever and quirky new read.  --Lauren Nemroff

See Inside Miss Brooks Loves Books (And I Don't)(Click on Thumbnails to Enlarge)

Too Kissy, Too Pink, Too Silly Stubborn, Smelly, Snorty Ogre

Missy 1 Missy 2 Missy 3

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:44:03 -0400)

A first-grade girl who does not like to read stubbornly resists her school librarian's efforts to convince her to love books until she finds one that might change her mind.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,561,308 books! | Top bar: Always visible