Miss Brooks Loves Books (And I Don't)…

Miss Brooks Loves Books (And I Don't)

by Barbara Bottner

Miss Brooks Loves Books (And I Don't) is a book about a student who doesn't like any books and a librarian who is very enthusiastic about her love of books. The student and the librarian clash over the idea books. When Miss Brooks, the librarian, decides that the upcoming week will be book week, the student is distraught. However, the student finally finds a topic that she enjoys and learns that there are books for everyone if you just search hard enough. This book is a realistic fiction book.
  ejoy13 | Sep 3, 2015 |
The little girl in this story is a curmudgeon who doesn't like books. Her librarian works hard to engage her, but to no avail. Finally she discovers a book she can enjoy, a yucky book about an ogre.
  songshu | Jul 5, 2015 |
I love the allusions to other popular books. There's a book, or several, for everyone... even kids who don't like cute or sweet stories. And if your little reluctant reader isn't thrilled with Missy's discovery, maybe one of the other choices will wow them. Start with those classics, and keep trying.

Love the mom in the painter's overalls: "no, we're not going to move; there's a librarian in every town...."

The text is great, but the pictures are so expressive they almost tell the story all by themselves.

(The only 'classic' mentioned here that I would skip is Babar because it's casually racist.) ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Apr 14, 2015 |
This book was great. I think it could be very useful in a classroom. The point of view of the little girl helped the reader understand what she was thinking and the distaste about her reading project. The little girl watched her classmates present about trains, princesses, and caterpillars and the teacher wanted to see if the little girl would like any of the book topics. She did not, and wanted to move. The other thing that made this book great was the plot. Readers wanted the little girl to find a book topic that she enjoyed, but she denied all topics. Finally, after much protest, the little girl found the topic of warts. The big idea of this book was that everyone can find something they enjoy. It may not be something everyone else enjoys, but as along as you have interest in the topic and it makes you happy, that is okay. ( )
  AudreyLast | Mar 17, 2015 |
Read on August 20, 2014

Every reader his or her book. Every book it's reader.

I love this one. ( )
  melissarochelle | Oct 12, 2014 |

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0375846824, Hardcover)

Amazon Best Books of the Month, March 2010: If ever there were a perfect picture book for those so-called "reluctant readers" this is it. Miss Brooks Loves Books (And I Don't) tells the story of Missy, a little girl who rejects just about every story that comes her way. She complains that "They're too kissy. Too pink. And too silly." The tireless librarian Miss Brooks is not about to give up, nor is Missy's mom. When Missy realizes she'd like to read about warts, Mom comes through with an inspired choice that sets this picky reader on the path to book bliss. Leave it to the pros--author Barbara Bottner and illustrator Michael Emberley to hit the funny bone with this clever and quirky new read.  --Lauren Nemroff

See Inside Miss Brooks Loves Books (And I Don't)

(Click on Thumbnails to Enlarge)

Too Kissy, Too Pink, Too Silly Stubborn, Smelly, Snorty Ogre

Missy 1 Missy 2 Missy 3

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:38 -0400)

A first-grade girl who does not like to read stubbornly resists her school librarian's efforts to convince her to love books until she finds one that might change her mind.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,702,524 books! | Top bar: Always visible