Out of Our Minds: Learning to be Creative by…

Out of Our Minds: Learning to be Creative

by Ken Robinson

Too theoretical for my taste. Focus was also on how formal education isn't leading us to be creative. It looked like it was leading to what other sorts of education / training help us be creative but I abandoned it after the first 100 pages. ( )
  pithos | Mar 6, 2014 |
There are three themes running throughout Ken Robinson’s "Out of Our Minds":

1. We are living in revolutionary times.
2. To survive and flourish in these times of change we must think differently about our abilities and make best use of them.
3. We need to operate our organizations in radically different ways than we are presently.

The key to addressing these themes, according to Robinson, is creativity. While Robinson argues that everyone has the capacity to be creative, our current educational system and workplaces stifle creative expression. Robinson delineates the problems within our schools and organizations and then prescribes how we may deal with them. He outlines how we need to rethink education and how to exercise creative leadership to redesign our corporations. This is not a detailed how-to manual. Robinson aims to convince us of the need to creatively deal with the challenges of society and to map out an approach to doing so. The book is worthwhile reading for educators, parents, managers, consultants, policy makers, and anyone else concerned about the future of our society and planet. According to Robinson, it is critical for the future of humanity to extricate ourselves from the outmoded paradigms of the past. To do so, we each must claim our inherent creative capacities and unite in addressing the twenty-first century challenges of concern to all of us. ( )
  mitchellray | Mar 5, 2012 |
I loved Ken Robinson's Ted talks and so read and enjoyed The Element.
Out Of Our Minds is less directly relevant to the work of finding your passion but is, like so much of what Robinson does, thought-provoking, funny, and erudite.

I found myself learning so much.

Two things in particular leap out...the first is a great quote from Socrates Robinson shares in speaking about the problems in education today.
Socrates: Education is the kindling of a flame, not the filling of a vessel. And my first thought? Yup..so is Leadership.

The second is an incredible chapter called Knowing and Feeling which, essentially, gives the neurological and intellectual basis for the the split between thinking and sensing that's dominated (and wrecked havoc with the self esteem of) so many Westerners.

“I think therefore I am.” As Robert Witkin pointed out, an equally powerful starting point would have been, “I feel therefore I am.”13 Feelings are a constant dimension of human consciousness. To be is to feel." (p. 183). John Wiley and Sons. Kindle Edition.

To which I instinctively add, "I am therefore I think and feel." ( )
1 vote JerryColonna | Jan 12, 2012 |
Simply inspirational ( )
  rightantler | Aug 16, 2010 |

"There is a paradox. Throughout the world, companies and organisations are trying to compete in a world of economic and technolgical change that is moving faster than ever. They urgently need people who are creative, innovative and flexible. Too oftern they can't find the, Why is this? What's the real problem - and what should be done about it? 'Out of our minds' answers three vital questions for all organisations that have a serious strategic interest in creativity and innovation. Why is it essential to promote creativity? ... Why is it necessary to develop creativity? ... What is involved in promoting creativity? ... In 'Out of our minds', Ken Robinson argues that organisations are trying to fix a downstream problem that originates in schools and universities. Most people leave education with no idea what their real abilities are. He says what all organisations, including those in education, can do immediately to recover people's creative talents. Robinson also argues for radical changes in how we think about intelligence and human resources and in how we educate people to meet the extraordinary challenges of living and working in the 21st century." - back cover.… (more)

304 wanted2 pay4 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,407,045 books! | Top bar: Always visible