To Sin with a Scoundrel by Cara Elliott

To Sin with a Scoundrel

by Cara Elliott

Lady Wombat says:

Stylistically well-written, but character development is told rather than shown, and the suspense isn't very suspenseful. And I really find it annoying when the surface gender ideology (our heroine is a smart, unconventional scientist) is at odds with the implicit gender ideology (our heroine is passive, worried, stuttering, fights her sexual attraction to the rakish hero then gives in to it for no good reason, and lets others make her decision for her). "But intriguingly enough, despite her protests, she hadn't been averse to his attentions. Indeed, her words had said one thing, but her body had said quite another" (49). Bait and switch -- yuck!
  Wombat | Apr 17, 2011 |
This book was lacking in character development. Additionally, the story arc was severely lacking. I'm not opposed to giving her a chance in another novel, but this was certainly not one of my favorites. ( )
  charitywoosley | Jul 2, 2010 |
Interesting characters but the plot was scattered and disappointing. Too much time spent on secondary character development for the future books in the series. ( )
  reesa00 | Apr 18, 2010 |
Yummy, fluffy fun. It's a relatively typical Regency (on the spicy side of the genre). I'm always a sucker for a smart heroine. ( )
  ImBookingIt | Mar 26, 2010 |
Kinda dull. I liked how intelligent Ciara was but I'm not a fan of her personality. It was entirely too difficult to warm-up to her. That said, I didn't hate her. As for Lucas, it took a while but I ended up thinking he made a decent hero. The plot was a tad far-fetched in some ways but, overall, it was ok. I found the secondary characters were much more interesting than the plot, so I'm not opposed to picking up the next one in this trilogy. ( )
  Jac8604 | Mar 18, 2010 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 044654129X, Mass Market Paperback)

A reclusive widow known for her scientific scholarship, Lady Ciara Sheffield is shadowed by rumors that she poisoned her husband . . . A rakehell rogue notorious for his devil-may-care antics, Lucas Bingham--the Earl of Hadley--is not accused of murdering anything--save for the rules of Polite Society. The only thing they have in common is seeing their names featured in the lurid gossip columns of London's newspapers. Until an ancient manuscript draws them together.

Ciara needs a titled fiancé to quell the slanderous speculations which may send her to the gallows. Lucas needs brilliant scholar to help his elderly uncle decipher the secrets of the mysterious manuscript. So when her friends urge her to accept the earl's proposal of a temporary alliance, Ciara decides that she has no choice but to make a deal with the Devil. And so begins a seductive dance of sinful pleasures and hidden desires as the two of them waltz through the mansions of Mayfair. Lies, intrigue, treachery, sex. They find themselves facing slanderous whispers, unscrupulous relatives-not to speak of their own simmering passions, which quickly ignite into dangerous flames. It's a potent mix and the result may be explosive-and perhaps deadly-if they don't watch their step.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:40 -0400)

A reclusive widow known for her scientific scholarship, Lady Ciara Sheffield is shadowed by rumours that she poisoned her husband. She needs a titled fiance to quell the slanderous speculations which may send her to the gallows. The scoundrel Lucas Bingham, Earl of Hadley, needs a brilliant scholar to help his elderly uncle decipher the secrets of the mysterious manuscript.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,181,479 books! | Top bar: Always visible