The Various Lives of Keats and Chapman:…

The Various Lives of Keats and Chapman: Including The Brother

by Flann O'Brien

English (3)  Swedish (1)  All languages (4)
I was charmed, but take it with a grain of salt because I love O'Brien. This book collects a bizarre and hilarious one man play--about a poor Irish lout who doesn't like playing the characters that "that fellow" (Flann O'Brien) forces upon him--and a series of shaggy-dog puns featuring the unlikely Laurel and Hardy duo of John Keats and George Chapman, translator of Homer. The puns are excerpts from O'Brien's newspaper columns and collected out of context. Despite some of the puns paying off in Latin or with references to mid-Century Irish slang, I still enjoyed the sheer bravado of them. Fuck you, he says, their bad puns. I was amused. ( )
  David_David_Katzman | Nov 26, 2013 |
Made me laugh.
  simonaries | Mar 16, 2009 |
Very funny, outrageous multilingual puns. Also makes you feel the lack of a classical education (or wit). ( )
  Wordsnark | Feb 24, 2007 |

"Along with Joyce and Beckett, [Flann O'Brien] constitutes our trinity of great Irish writers. And who is funnier?"
- Edna O'Brien

The cream of Flann O'Brien's comic tour-de-force, the Keats and Chapman stories began in O'Brien's column in the Irish Times. He called them "studies in literary pathology" -- monstrously tall tales that explore the very limits of the shaggy dog story. As one critic wrote, they will accumulate the fantasy to the point of sadism, and then cash home with the flat, desolating pun.

"The Brother" is another of O'Brien's funniest creations. He is the archetypal Dublin man -- an authority on every one of mankind's ills, from the common cold to the court case. Forget the experts, The Brother knows best.

"The best comic writer I can think of."
- S. J. Perelman

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:35:41 -0400)

A collection of humorous vignettes by the late author of At Swim-Two Birds, culled from his Irish Times columns, includes The Brother, a tale of an opinionated Dublin male archetype.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,988,852 books! | Top bar: Always visible