Mourn Not Your Dead by Deborah Crombie

Mourn Not Your Dead (original 1996; edition 2005)

by Deborah Crombie

Title:Mourn Not Your Dead
Authors:Deborah Crombie (Author)
Info:Avon (2005), Mass Market Paperback, 336 pages
Tags:Fiction, contemporary, mystery, Duncan Kincaid/Gemma James, Britain

Mourn Not Your Dead by Deborah Crombie (1996)

English (13)  French (1)  All languages (14)
The last book I read and reviewed by this author had me starting off my review by noting how reluctant I had been to read that book. It was the third book in a series, and there were indications that the two main characters were getting closer and closer to hooking up. To turning a mystery/police series into a romance. I’d given the first two books by this author 5 stars each. Because they were damn good books. My reluctance and lowered expectations did not lead me to being able to ‘find the good’ and ‘overcome’ my preconceptions – for that book, which I ended up giving a rating of 3 stars.

So, imagine my even higher level of reluctance to read this book here. To a large extent, the only reason I read this book here is because I found that I had picked up the fifth book from a used book sale decades ago (decades is probably pushing it). So I gave in and decided to read ‘Mourn Not Your Dead’.

Book opens with Gemma James and Duncan Kincaid being kind of reluctant to be near each other. Well, that’s not actually correct. It begins with James having fled for a week or more, while Duncan wanted to continue the relationship and was all confused and stuff. Before they could work on their issues, a case came in requiring their investigative powers. A high ranking police officer has been found murdered in his kitchen. Kincaid and James head off to investigate.

As normal, the author is quite good at creating fully-formed characters (with some exceptions), and having an interesting mystery and plot to follow. A quick, easy, enjoyable read. Hmm. I say that then I notice that I started this book late on the 23rd, and ended it after an hour or so on the 25th. It took me three days to read this book? That’s quite unlike me to take so long. Especially when I then go and say that the book was a ‘quick, easy’ read.

Well, it seemed that way, quick and easy. Part of the easy has to do with how well the author wrote the tension/’conflict’ in such a manner that I didn’t want to run screaming from the book.

Obvious enough I’ll be reading the next book. It’s the whole reason why I read this one. Since I already owned it. Though it’s all physical and stuff. Been a while since I read something that wasn’t an ebook. My connection to this author is odd. I might not begin reading the next book until next year. I mean, I read the first in April. Second in May, third in August, and now completed the fourth in November. By this rate, I’ll try the fifth book in February. ( )
  Lexxi | Nov 25, 2015 |
Sometimes I just like an English mystery that's easy to follow. This is one of those novels. The main characters are well described and likable. Although they are investigating the murder of a former colleague, their personal feelings and lives sometimes get in the way. The suspects in the crime and colorful and presented in such a way that you w ant to learn more about them. When you think you have it figured out, of course, there's a surprise at the end. ( )
  bookladychris | Sep 29, 2015 |
This was another solid mystery in the Duncan Kincaid/Gemma James police series. In this story, the Division Commander is murdered in his own home and Kincaid and Gemma investigate. Since the Division Commander is not well-liked, there are a number of people who seem suspicious. The secondary storyline is the relationship between Kincaid and Gemma. They had gotten deeply involved with each other but now Gemma is having second thoughts. This gets sorted out as they work on the case together.

I enjoy Deborah Crombie's writing style and ability, her characters and her stories. I will definitely continue reading this series. ( )
  gaylebutz | Aug 4, 2015 |
I can't believe I let three years go by before getting back to this series. It was easy to fall back into the comfort of this series. Duncan and Gemma are called to to investigate the murder of a police commander in his suburban home. There are plenty of suspects, the wife, the step-daughter, the wife's boss, a former co-worker of the victim and possibly a host of others. Needless to say, the commander was not a well loved individual.

With the normal building of the relationship between Duncan and Gemma, and the ease she has in keeping a reader turning pages, I'm glad I got back to this series and need to make sure I don't let it slip for another three years. ( )
  bookswoman | May 31, 2015 |
Mourn Not Your Dead by Deborah Crombie is the 4th book in her Inspector Duncan Kincaid/ Sergeant Gemma James series. They are sent to a small village in Surrey to investigate the murder of a fellow policeman. Division Commander Alastair Gilbert has been struck down in his kitchen and at first look, this murder seems that it could be linked to a series of burglaries that have occurred in the village. Of course, Kincaid and James dig deeper and unearth a long list of suspects that could have had a hand in this unpleasant man’s death.

Where the actual case is pretty straight forward, and the final solution was fairly easy to work out, the real excitement for someone who is following this series is the on-going relationship between Kincaid and James. For every step these two take toward getting closer, they seem to take two steps back. In this episode, Duncan is ready to move forward with their romance but Gemma is trying to put their personal feelings aside as she is very nervous about the effect a romance will have on their professional lives.

Well written characters and realistic dialogue make these interestingly plotted mysteries fun to read and I am looking forward to continuing watching these two lead characters dance around each other. ( )
  DeltaQueen50 | Feb 4, 2014 |
For Diane, Dale, Jim, Viqui, John, and Rickey,
who have once again read the book in progress
with much patience and insight.
Thanks, you guys.
His office seemed to shrink as he paced.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0060789573, Mass Market Paperback)

The three things that make Deborah Crombie's books about a pair of Scotland Yard detectives so fascinating are (a) the way the relationship between Superintendent Duncan Kinkaid and Sgt. Gemma James is constantly--and believably--changing; (b) the meticulously researched and impeccably presented details of British police procedure; and (c) the fact that the superb chronicler behind these multi-layered tales of British society is a native Texan and current resident of a small town near Dallas. This fourth entry in Crombie's excellent series sends the gently raised, intellectual Kinkaid and the tougher, more abrasive James out after the killer of a much-unloved senior policeman in suburban Surrey. Other books in the series also available in paperback are All Shall Be Well, Leave the Grave Green, and A Share in Death.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:17 -0400)

In England, the romantic police pair of Duncan Kincaid and Gemma James investigate the murder of their commander, Superintendent Gilbert, an unloved man, even by his wife.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,853,428 books! | Top bar: Always visible