Thrill Me to Death by Roxanne St. Claire

by Roxanne St. Claire

Thrill Me to Death
4.5 Stars

Synopsis
"Mad Max" Roper is known for his stoic and emotionless nature - nothing gets in the way of the job - that is until he is assigned to protect his former fiancée, Cori Peyton. As the recent widow of a multi-billionaire, Cori is either a suspect in the murder of her husband or a potential victim of a vicious killer. Max will have to figure out which while coping with the intense passion and feelings stemming from his close proximity to Cori.

Review
This is one of those rare books that I simply devoured...

Book #1 in the Bullet Catchers series was very entertaining but this one captivated me from the first pages. While reunion romances are not my favorite plot device, this one is well written and resolved satisfactorily.

Max is a fantastic hero - dark, deadly and seductive, and Cori is strong, intelligent and likeable although she does have one or two TSTL moments and a goodie-two-shoes personality that grates on the nerves at times.

Cori and Max have an intense chemistry based on their previous relationship and it only builds and increases toward the inevitable and passionate explosion. The big misunderstanding is played down and there is none of the angst commonly associated with this type of plot.

The suspense story is well-developed with an intriguing pool of suspects. Although my suspicions as to the killer's identity were ultimately confirmed and their are sufficient clues to make an educated guess, it was never 100% clear and the red herrings and false leads add to the tension. The climax is also tense, exciting and satisfying although the explanation for William's death is slightly illogical Breezy was quite capable of talking her way out of the situation.

The secondary characters have distinctive personalities from the sycophantic lawyer and his trophy wife to the resentful stepson and the devoted housekeeper. Additional Bullet Catchers are also introduced but not fleshed out as well possibly because they will receive their own books, which I will definitely be reading.

All in all, this book is wonderful and the series is definitely going in the right direction.

Lauren2013 | Apr 2, 2013 |
Thrill Me to Death begins with Max Roper, bodyguard for the Bullet Catchers Bodyguard Service, being assigned to protect a woman that he was once in love with; Corrine Peyton. Cori's billionaire husband, William Peyton has died recently, and there has been at least one attempt on Cori's life. Max is sent not only to protect Cori, but to also find out if she might have had a hand in her late husband's death.

Max takes the assignment and heads to Florida. When he arrives at the home of his ex, Max finds Cori is indeed in danger, but he's not quite sure where the danger is coming from. Cori has a slew of people around her who could have wanted her husband dead and her as well.

Cori is shocked to find out that the bodyguard assigned to her is her ex fiancee, Max, a man she once loved deeply, but abandoned that love when she found out he had a hand in her fathers death. She is able to push her initial resentment of Max aside and focus on the pressing matter, because she needs his help. Someone has attempted to kill her, and she's positive that her husband's death was foul play, not the heart attack the autopsy claimed.

When a forged signature turns up, Max and Cori set out to figure out the mystery behind William's death on their own. They soon realize that the closer they get to finding the truth, the more danger they put themselves in.

My Thoughts:

For the most part I liked Thrill Me to Death. I did have a few problems with the story, though. First, I found Max and Cori's initial separation go be contrived. All it would have taken was a little communication and they would have never needed to break up.

Second, Cori had more than a few TSTL moments throughout the book. At times I couldn't help rolling my eyes at her naivete's. Considering that she believed that her husband was murdered and that there had been an attempt on her life, I would expect her to listen to reason and not just do what she feels is best, just because. Another problem I had was the characterization, both Max and Cori were surface level characters to me. Neither were as three dimensional as I would have liked.

What I did like was the overall mystery. I felt that it was well thought out and intriguing. I had somewhat of an idea of who the killer was and while I was half right, it wasn't glaringly obvious. Also, St. Claires writing is sharp. That, along with my investment in the mystery elements, kept me turning the pages. ( )
  cupid | May 11, 2008 |

Max Roper never lets emotion get in the way of his job -- not since the tragic shooting that killed his fiancee's father. Now the former DEA agent is a Bullet Catcher, and he's managed to block out Cori's bitter goodbye -- and their sizzling passion. Those dangerous desires come back with a vengeance when Max is assigned to protect a recently widowed heiress: who turns out to be Cori. But Max must also discover his ex's dark secret...and they both know she can't hide anything from him.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,649,591 books! | Top bar: Always visible