Importance of Being Seven by Alexander…

Importance of Being Seven (2010)

by Alexander McCall Smith, David Rintoul (Reader)

Member:anglofille
Title:Importance of Being Seven
Authors:Alexander McCall Smith
Other authors:David Rintoul (Reader)
Info:
Tags:fiction, Scotland

The Importance of Being Seven by Alexander McCall Smith (2010)

Recently added byprivate library, MizPurplest, Barbara_C, ThosD, humblewomble, MLRALibrary, kucher, noellib

I have almost nothing to add to the previous reviews. I think I read this quicker than any of the others and thoroughly enjoyed every chapter. ( )
  eliorajoy | May 27, 2014 |
It was nice to get back to Scotland Street. It is populated with a great group of characters. I delight in reading what new is happening. I was glad that Bertie had a really great day in this one.

These are quick reads with lots of short chapters that make them ideal for before bed reading. Easy to pick up and read a just little if time is short.

I was grateful to LibraryThing for pointing out that I hadn't read this one yet! ( )
  njcur | Mar 21, 2014 |
He does it again. Very funny and touching as Bertie prepares to turn 7, Stuart speaks up, Angus fends off women and Matthew and Elspetch embark on a new life preparing for triplets in the midst of nudists. ( )
  ccayne | Jan 5, 2014 |
Further adventures of the denizens of Edinburgh.

Can it be Bertie is winning a small area of freedom from Irene? And is there really such a thing as Stendhal Syndrome? ( )
  Robertgreaves | Jun 20, 2013 |
I thoroughly enjoy reading Alexander McCall Smith's work, and this sixth in his 44 Scotland Street series is no exception. The stories are well-written and the characters are developed in such a way that the reader feels a real connection. If readers have not read any of his work, I encourage you to do so...as another reviewer states "It's a perfect way to spend an afternoon"... My personal favorite is the Isabel Dalhousie series; however, 44 Scotland Street and the #1 Ladies Detective Agency are also most enjoyable. It is best to start each series from Book 1, as the stories do build on one another. Enjoy!! ( )
  Jcambridge | Jun 17, 2013 |
This book is for
James Naughtie
If there was one thing about marriage that surprised Matthew, it was just how quickly he became accustomed to it.

Will Bertie ever get away from his overbearing mother? And will we say goodbye to a Scotland Street resident — Angus Lordie and his gold-toothed dog Cyril — as a jaunt to the hills of Tuscany beckons? They star alongside the familiar cast of favourites, as we follow their daily pursuit of a little happiness. With customary charm and deftness, Alexander McCall Smith has given us another instalment to this popular series that is as clever, witty and as delightful as the rest.

"The great city of Edinburgh is renowned for its impeccable restraint, so how, then, did the extended family of 44 Scotland Street come to be trembling on the brink of reckless self-indulgence? Bertie is--finally!--about to turn seven. But one afternoon he mislays his meddling mother Irene, and learns a valuable lesson: wish-fulfillment can be a dangerous business. Angus and Domenica contemplate whether to give in to romance on holiday in Italy, and even usually down-to-earth Big Lou is overheard discussing cosmetic surgery"--P. [4] of cover.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,000,347 books! | Top bar: Always visible