The Importance Of Being Seven by Alexander…

The Importance Of Being Seven (original 2010; edition 2011)

by Alexander McCall Smith, David Rintoul (Reader)

309None35,860 (4.02)18
Member:cransell
Title:The Importance Of Being Seven
Authors:Alexander McCall Smith
Other authors:David Rintoul (Reader)
Info:Isis Audio Books (2011), Edition: Unabridged, DVD Audio
Collections:DCPL
Tags:2012, Fiction, Edinburgh, lighthearted fiction

The Importance of Being Seven by Alexander McCall Smith (2010)

Recently added bybertilak, amareshjoshi, eilidhnic, Ramotswe, flusteredduck, njcur, omniglot, private library, okjlsaz

It was nice to get back to Scotland Street. It is populated with a great group of characters. I delight in reading what new is happening. I was glad that Bertie had a really great day in this one.

These are quick reads with lots of short chapters that make them ideal for before bed reading. Easy to pick up and read a just little if time is short.

I was grateful to LibraryThing for pointing out that I hadn't read this one yet! ( )
  njcur | Mar 21, 2014 |
He does it again. Very funny and touching as Bertie prepares to turn 7, Stuart speaks up, Angus fends off women and Matthew and Elspetch embark on a new life preparing for triplets in the midst of nudists. ( )
  ccayne | Jan 5, 2014 |
Further adventures of the denizens of Edinburgh.

Can it be Bertie is winning a small area of freedom from Irene? And is there really such a thing as Stendhal Syndrome? ( )
  Robertgreaves | Jun 20, 2013 |
I thoroughly enjoy reading Alexander McCall Smith's work, and this sixth in his 44 Scotland Street series is no exception. The stories are well-written and the characters are developed in such a way that the reader feels a real connection. If readers have not read any of his work, I encourage you to do so...as another reviewer states "It's a perfect way to spend an afternoon"... My personal favorite is the Isabel Dalhousie series; however, 44 Scotland Street and the #1 Ladies Detective Agency are also most enjoyable. It is best to start each series from Book 1, as the stories do build on one another. Enjoy!! ( )
  Jcambridge | Jun 17, 2013 |
Alexander McCall Smith is one of the few writers who can get away with being thoroughly inoffensive while still making you feel that he's not insulting your intelligence. Like all really good light literature, the plots are instantly forgettable but characters stay with you. I'm sure everyone who's read even one of these books has a clear mental image of long-suffering Bertie, overbearing Irene, and all the rest of them, but few would be able to summarise the storyline of any of the books. Does the baby get lost in the same book as the Volvo? When do we first meet the distressed-oatmeal sweater? No-one really cares, and in fact we're happy to forget the story if it gives us an excuse to re-read the book a year later. ( )
  thorold | May 29, 2013 |
This book is for
James Naughtie
If there was one thing about marriage that surprised Matthew, it was just how quickly he became accustomed to it.

Will Bertie ever get away from his overbearing mother? And will we say goodbye to a Scotland Street resident — Angus Lordie and his gold-toothed dog Cyril — as a jaunt to the hills of Tuscany beckons? They star alongside the familiar cast of favourites, as we follow their daily pursuit of a little happiness. With customary charm and deftness, Alexander McCall Smith has given us another instalment to this popular series that is as clever, witty and as delightful as the rest.

The story of Bertie & his dysfunctional family continues in this sixth instalment alongside the familiar cast of favourites - Big Lou, Domenica, Angus Lordie, Cyril & others - in their daily pursuit of a little happiness.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,494,831 books! | Top bar: Always visible