Married with Zombies by Jesse Petersen

Married with Zombies

by Jesse Petersen

Series: Living with the Dead (1)

Hungry For You by A.M. Harte (elbakerone)
    elbakerone: Both books take a humorous approach to zombie fiction and mix in laughs with the undead.

Dear god, what have I read?! Horrific. Superficial Too Stupid To Live characters I don't care about, stumbling around blindly asking to be eaten.

Comedy

Having loved the show Married with Children I impulsively decided I would love this too. However, I'm wondering now whether "zombies" and "comedy" can ever be a good mix in the post-Carry On world, and in the absence of Simon Pegg (Shaun of the Dead totally pulls off the ZomRomCom). And perhaps with this book by marketing it as a comedy excuses the wafer-thin characters, the TSTL behaviour (e.g. checking out a potentially zombie-infested casino for the hell of it) and inappropriately timed arguments (while zombies are bearing down on you) about nothing in particular.

Romance

Um, where exactly was the romance? We meet Sarah and David on the brink of divorce as they attend their regularly scheduled marriage counseling appointment. David's demise from having a promising future to being an unemployed deadbeat husband and all-round slacker and Sarah's exhausted from having to work 6 days a week leads her to constantly criticise him and picking fights at every given opportunity, leaving them both deeply unhappy and wanting out of their marriage. Counselling wasn't helping until...they killed their therapist. After that they work together to kill (directly and indirectly) almost every human they come into contact with regardless of whether they happen to be infected. In doing this they come to see each other's positive attributes i.e. bravely killing everything in sight, appearing as heroes in each other's eyes. So again, where was the romance? One off-stage sex scene and...I can't remember if they ever kissed. Not good.

Zombies

Were pretty cool actually. From bite to brain-eating, the incubation period is 10-25 minutes. Red eyes, strangely happy facial expressions, faster than the average human and the ability to continue simple repetitive actions, describe these zombies. Although there is the requisite gory imagery e.g. a legless undead dragging itself along the ground carrying a baby in it's mouth, it never truly hits home, the gut-wrenching horror of it all.

I hold [a:Rhiannon Frater|2310121|Rhiannon Frater|http://d.gr-assets.com/authors/1280870979p2/2310121.jpg]'s [b:As the World Dies|9648068|The First Days (As the World Dies, #1)|Rhiannon Frater|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1312075271s/9648068.jpg|5431515] trilogy up as the epitome of all things zombie and while reading it I laughed, I cried and I added guns to my wishlist. That was terrifying but there was humour, too. A good balance. MWZ focuses too much on the humour and whilst funny, sometimes it was grossly overused and forced, at the detriment of the characters' intelligence and the graveness of the situation. It's the same with the swearing, I'm not opposed to the well-timed f-word when the world is going to hell and you could die at any moment but it shouldn't be repetitive.

After ogling this book for a while I'm disappointed it didn't live up to my expectations. I could've DNF'd at any point, my lack of affection for the couple left me uninterested in whether they lived or died but obviously they were never in any danger considering it's part of a series.

If you have some time to waste... ( )
  Cynical_Ames | Sep 23, 2014 |
Non avrei mai pensato di dare ben quattro stelle a un romanzo di questo tipo. Ma ero evidentemente prevenuta: i personaggi sono accattivanti, il processo di trasformazione a zombie è interessante, e la storia, per quanto piuttosto semplice, scorre facilmente e si fa leggere con piacere.

Molto breve, si legge in un paio d'ore. E' il primo libro di una serie che al momento conta quattro romanzi, e credo che andrò avanti con la lettura. ( )
  Manua | Apr 10, 2014 |
Diverting and fun, a story of how a zombie apocalypse helped save Sara and David's marriage. Full of plenty of gore and death to satisfy a zombie fiction fan, but also funny and sweet. ( )
  kayceel | Feb 20, 2014 |
Jesse Petersen is an author who has been on my radar for a while but it took my a long time to invest in one of her books. The mistake? Waiting this long to discover her genius! Petersen has a great sense of humour and an impressive knowledge of all things zombie, which makes Married with Zombies an absolute delight.

Sarah and David are an average couple with marital problems. Sarah works long hours to support them, there’s resentment on both sides, and they’re seeking counseling to try to save their relationship. The therapy isn’t working but it turns out that facing a zombie apocalypse can, in fact, save your marriage. It’s cheaper than therapy and the danger levels seem comparable, at least for these guys. After all, there’s nothing like constant danger and the collapse of society as you know it to make things like To Do lists seem inconsequential. And Sarah and David are actually quite adroit at zombie slaying, thanks to zombie movies and their own natural chutzpah. They do bicker over little things, even when face with imminent death, and I thought this was a great part to the story. It gave Married with Zombies some great moments of humour and also a bit of realism since Sarah and David didn’t instantly become this super couple. Don’t get me wrong — I love them as a couple and think they complement each other well as zombiebusters — but they still have issues between them, despite their best efforts to put them aside to survive.

There are a lot of unanswered questions in this novel, like how the infection started and how far the government will go to stop it. Are they razing towns? Can anyone be trusted? Will Sarah and David find their families? Petersen does a great job of really immersing the reader in the immediacy of Sarah and David’s situation, thanks to the lack of information (and the presence of potential disinformation). All they know for sure is that they have each other and that it takes as classic shot to the head to dispatch their foes. And with a fast-paced plot with some unpredictable moments, Married with Zombies is a great ride.

I sat down to read a couple of chapters of Married with Zombies and ended up reading the whole thing when I was supposed to be reading a textbook for my paper. While this is bad news for my academics, and probably my pocketbook, it’s good news for the fiction lover in me because I’ve found another fantastic author to catch up with.

http://ireadgood.wordpress.com ( )
  jthorburn | Feb 16, 2014 |
I enjoyed this book and I don't even like zombies! It's a light-hearted and funny romp where marriage guidance is mixed with zombie killing and the two big questions are will Sarah and David survive and will they stay married?

Evil Editor had it as his book of the month and I think everyone who read it enjoyed it - which doesn't often happen ( )
  fairyhedgehog | Dec 14, 2013 |

Jesse Petersenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Campbell, CassandraNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

While on a routine trip to their marriage counselor, Sarah and David, after noticing some strange things, like their counselor savagely attacking her previous client, must fight for their survival--and their marriage--in the middle of a zombie apocalypse.… (more)

Orbit Books

An edition of this book was published by Orbit Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,033,619 books! | Top bar: Always visible