Married With Zombies by Jesse Petersen

Married With Zombies

by Jesse Petersen

Series: Living with the Dead (1)

Hungry For You by A.M. Harte (elbakerone)
    elbakerone: Both books take a humorous approach to zombie fiction and mix in laughs with the undead.

Sometimes you just need a mindless read to waste your time. This certainly fit the bill. I finished this in just over an hour and was still able to pick out a whole bunch of misplaced commas and other grammatical irritations.

A couple on the verge of divorce end up fighting zombies. Eh. The author tries too hard to include "therapy speak" when the couple interacts. It didn't work for me and bordered on outright annoying. I was getting fed up with Sarah: Every time she said her husband was right, she had to follow it up with a comment about how often she was saying it. We get it, they were in therapy. Whatever.

This is book one in a series. Unless I have nothing else to do and nothing else to read, I can't imagine I'll be picking up book two. But we'll see... ( )
  imahorcrux | Jun 22, 2016 |
A quick, fun, and light read about how the zombie apocalypse saved a marriage. I liked it for what it was. ( )
  LenaR0307 | May 30, 2016 |
This review was originally posted on Bookish Things & More

Overall Review
This is a really fun zombie series. What else can you do when the zombie apocalypse happens? Well you work on your marriage, of course! You can't very well survive if you are wanting to rip each other to shreds every time you don't agree.

Living with the Dead is full of hilarious moments, serious ones, and crazy drama. Sarah and David tend to run into all the crazies left in the apocalypse. Watching them try to get out of each situation is entertaining, that's for sure. While David can be a hot head, he does his best to protect himself and Sarah. I love Sarah's witty sarcasm, and way of looking at things. She goes with her gut, and is usually right.

If you want a fun series to read, or listen to, I think this fits that bill! ( )
  BookishThings | Mar 23, 2016 |
I liked this book more than I thought. Quick paced and light hearted, it was a welcome change to the other more serious zombie books I've read. I liked Sarah and David from the start. I found them both easy to relate to. Anyone who's been in a long term relationship knows the rose colored glasses don't stay on forever and you're left to deal with the real person you committed to.

There was a lot of running around and bad decision making but it sort of worked. Sarah and David were well versed in zombie lore but putting that knowledge into action wasn't as easy as they make it in the movies. I don't think I was meant to like her very much but Amanda was a character that grew on me immensely. A combination of simplicity and practicality packaged inside a perky cheerleader.

I had a real problem with the casino scene. After so much time learning from mistakes it seemed really stupid for them to try to take shelter in a place with such high potential for zombies. It screamed of plot device and I'm sure we'll be seeing those unhinged cultists again. I also didn't like the over dependence on guns. They talked about conserving ammo but every other page has them firing off the shotgun and somehow in three days Sarah has become an expert marksman. The way they kept stumbling upon supplies after losing their entire stash twice was a little unbelievable.

In the end I forgave the book it's quibbles. As Sarah and David have learned, nothing works out as planned in the zombie apocalypse. ( )
  Akaria | May 13, 2015 |
Dear god, what have I read?! Horrific. Superficial Too Stupid To Live characters I don't care about, stumbling around blindly asking to be eaten.

Comedy

Having loved the show Married with Children I impulsively decided I would love this too. However, I'm wondering now whether "zombies" and "comedy" can ever be a good mix in the post-Carry On world, and in the absence of Simon Pegg (Shaun of the Dead totally pulls off the ZomRomCom). And perhaps with this book by marketing it as a comedy excuses the wafer-thin characters, the TSTL behaviour (e.g. checking out a potentially zombie-infested casino for the hell of it) and inappropriately timed arguments (while zombies are bearing down on you) about nothing in particular.

Romance

Um, where exactly was the romance? We meet Sarah and David on the brink of divorce as they attend their regularly scheduled marriage counseling appointment. David's demise from having a promising future to being an unemployed deadbeat husband and all-round slacker and Sarah's exhausted from having to work 6 days a week leads her to constantly criticise him and picking fights at every given opportunity, leaving them both deeply unhappy and wanting out of their marriage. Counselling wasn't helping until...they killed their therapist. After that they work together to kill (directly and indirectly) almost every human they come into contact with regardless of whether they happen to be infected. In doing this they come to see each other's positive attributes i.e. bravely killing everything in sight, appearing as heroes in each other's eyes. So again, where was the romance? One off-stage sex scene and...I can't remember if they ever kissed. Not good.

Zombies

Were pretty cool actually. From bite to brain-eating, the incubation period is 10-25 minutes. Red eyes, strangely happy facial expressions, faster than the average human and the ability to continue simple repetitive actions, describe these zombies. Although there is the requisite gory imagery e.g. a legless undead dragging itself along the ground carrying a baby in it's mouth, it never truly hits home, the gut-wrenching horror of it all.

I hold [a:Rhiannon Frater|2310121|Rhiannon Frater|http://d.gr-assets.com/authors/1280870979p2/2310121.jpg]'s [b:As the World Dies|9648068|The First Days (As the World Dies, #1)|Rhiannon Frater|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1312075271s/9648068.jpg|5431515] trilogy up as the epitome of all things zombie and while reading it I laughed, I cried and I added guns to my wishlist. That was terrifying but there was humour, too. A good balance. MWZ focuses too much on the humour and whilst funny, sometimes it was grossly overused and forced, at the detriment of the characters' intelligence and the graveness of the situation. It's the same with the swearing, I'm not opposed to the well-timed f-word when the world is going to hell and you could die at any moment but it shouldn't be repetitive.

After ogling this book for a while I'm disappointed it didn't live up to my expectations. I could've DNF'd at any point, my lack of affection for the couple left me uninterested in whether they lived or died but obviously they were never in any danger considering it's part of a series.

If you have some time to waste... ( )
  Cynical_Ames | Sep 23, 2014 |

Jesse Petersenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Campbell, CassandraNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

While on a routine trip to their marriage counselor, Sarah and David, after noticing some strange things, like their counselor savagely attacking her previous client, must fight for their survival--and their marriage--in the middle of a zombie apocalypse.… (more)

Orbit Books

An edition of this book was published by Orbit Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,223,541 books! | Top bar: Always visible