Married with Zombies by Jesse Petersen

Married with Zombies

by Jesse Petersen

Series: Living with the Dead (1)

Recently added byChickensAreBrave, hoodakaushal, Pabkins, smaire, private library, shadoe.runner, capiam1234
    Hungry For You by A.M. Harte (elbakerone)
    elbakerone: Both books take a humorous approach to zombie fiction and mix in laughs with the undead.

Non avrei mai pensato di dare ben quattro stelle a un romanzo di questo tipo. Ma ero evidentemente prevenuta: i personaggi sono accattivanti, il processo di trasformazione a zombie è interessante, e la storia, per quanto piuttosto semplice, scorre facilmente e si fa leggere con piacere.

Molto breve, si legge in un paio d'ore. E' il primo libro di una serie che al momento conta quattro romanzi, e credo che andrò avanti con la lettura. ( )
  Manua | Apr 10, 2014 |
Diverting and fun, a story of how a zombie apocalypse helped save Sara and David's marriage. Full of plenty of gore and death to satisfy a zombie fiction fan, but also funny and sweet. ( )
  kayceel | Feb 20, 2014 |
Jesse Petersen is an author who has been on my radar for a while but it took my a long time to invest in one of her books. The mistake? Waiting this long to discover her genius! Petersen has a great sense of humour and an impressive knowledge of all things zombie, which makes Married with Zombies an absolute delight.

Sarah and David are an average couple with marital problems. Sarah works long hours to support them, there’s resentment on both sides, and they’re seeking counseling to try to save their relationship. The therapy isn’t working but it turns out that facing a zombie apocalypse can, in fact, save your marriage. It’s cheaper than therapy and the danger levels seem comparable, at least for these guys. After all, there’s nothing like constant danger and the collapse of society as you know it to make things like To Do lists seem inconsequential. And Sarah and David are actually quite adroit at zombie slaying, thanks to zombie movies and their own natural chutzpah. They do bicker over little things, even when face with imminent death, and I thought this was a great part to the story. It gave Married with Zombies some great moments of humour and also a bit of realism since Sarah and David didn’t instantly become this super couple. Don’t get me wrong — I love them as a couple and think they complement each other well as zombiebusters — but they still have issues between them, despite their best efforts to put them aside to survive.

There are a lot of unanswered questions in this novel, like how the infection started and how far the government will go to stop it. Are they razing towns? Can anyone be trusted? Will Sarah and David find their families? Petersen does a great job of really immersing the reader in the immediacy of Sarah and David’s situation, thanks to the lack of information (and the presence of potential disinformation). All they know for sure is that they have each other and that it takes as classic shot to the head to dispatch their foes. And with a fast-paced plot with some unpredictable moments, Married with Zombies is a great ride.

I sat down to read a couple of chapters of Married with Zombies and ended up reading the whole thing when I was supposed to be reading a textbook for my paper. While this is bad news for my academics, and probably my pocketbook, it’s good news for the fiction lover in me because I’ve found another fantastic author to catch up with.

http://ireadgood.wordpress.com ( )
  jthorburn | Feb 16, 2014 |
I enjoyed this book and I don't even like zombies! It's a light-hearted and funny romp where marriage guidance is mixed with zombie killing and the two big questions are will Sarah and David survive and will they stay married?

Evil Editor had it as his book of the month and I think everyone who read it enjoyed it - which doesn't often happen ( )
  fairyhedgehog | Dec 14, 2013 |
If I had to describe this book in one word, it would be: delicious. This book makes me want to use non-words, like “ZOMG!” I found out today that the sequel, Flip this Zombie, is now being found on shelves and I have been overcome with WANT. I will be scrambling to get my hands on it.

Imagine you are married – unhappily. Imagine that you and your spouse have been going to weekly therapy sessions that have been doing more hindering than helping and you’ve both been googling “divorce lawyers”. You’re feeling busy, tired, unhappy, unfulfilled, and all the things you used to find endearing about your lover have been outweighed by the zillion and one other annoying damned things s/he does. It’s been a long day. You’re tired, stressed, and on your way to your appointment for marriage counseling.

Now, imagine that when you get there, your therapist tries to eat your face off.

Congratulations! You’ve now found your way into the world of Married With Zombies!

This book isn’t afraid of anything: not of letting the main couple’s marital problems hang out, not of giving loving details of rotting flesh and bashed-in zombie heads, and not of poking gentle fun at itself. The plot is fairly predictable. (Although that thing there in the middle with the evangelists? Yeah, that surprised me. In a “Wow, that’s so weird that I could totally see it happening in real life,” kind of way.) But the whole thing is written with such… zest, that you won’t mind knowing where the characters are headed.

How well would your relationship do in the midst of the Zombiepocalypse? No, really, I’m asking. There’s a quiz and everything.

Happily, I think I can finally quit bitching about the lack of married couples in urban fantasy, because this series fits the bill nicely. If you loved Shaun of the Dead the same way I did, then Married With Zombies is just the Christmas read you need. (And if you have a friend who enjoyed Shaun? Buy it for them, too!) ( )
  kiaras | Oct 22, 2013 |

Jesse Petersenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Campbell, CassandraNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

While on a routine trip to their marriage counselor, Sarah and David, after noticing some strange things, like their counselor savagely attacking her previous client, must fight for their survival--and their marriage--in the middle of a zombie apocalypse.… (more)

Orbit Books

An edition of this book was published by Orbit Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,514,243 books! | Top bar: Always visible