Beyond Exile by J. L. Bourne

Beyond Exile by J.L. Bourne is the continuation of his zombie story that began in Day By Day Armageddon. I rated the first book very high and was excited to finally be getting around to the second. Although not quite up to the level of the first, Beyond Exile was still an exciting and fun read.

Written as the personal journal of one man, the story tells how the small group of survivors from the first book manage to come in contact with the remnants of the American military and soon the main character finds himself the commanding officer at his outpost and in charge of planning and executing missions. Of course, something goes wrong and he is stranded some 200 miles away from the relative safety of the missile silo and has to work his way across Texas and through armies of the undead and other dangers to get back.

As both the author J.L. Bourne and the main character of the story are members of the armed forces, there is a lot of discussion of armaments and military jargon included in this book. I actually found this added to the believability of the story and most of this was explained in layman’s terms so it wasn’t too difficult to follow. The main character was trained in military equipment and had gone through survival training so is definitely someone I would want to be with in the event of an apocalypse.

Beyond Exile didn’t quite have the natural flow of the first book, but certainly delivered what I look for in a zombie book - plenty of frightening moments and lots of gore. ( )
  DeltaQueen50 | Jul 26, 2016 |
Finished this morning and to be honest I was glad I was done.
There is book 3 but to me this book became a bit over the top en again to me, ridiculous so I think I am going to not read the last book. He is going to China I believe?

This author is a typical male writer but that is not fair cause I know many male authors who can come up with good detailed characters.

Lots of talk about the weapons which I do not care much about.
I am sure there are people who will enjoy this book though. ( )
  Marlene-NL | Mar 12, 2016 |
(Re-posted from http://theturnedbrain.blogspot.com)

Hmmmmm. Did I enjoy this book as much as it’s predecessor, Day By Day Armageddon? Short answer: No. Long answer: also no. Shall I elaborate?

From a technical standpoint you have to concede that Beyond Exile is Day By Day’s superior. Technically. A lot of the “flaws” of the first book are absent here. The problem is, as you may have guessed by my quote marks. Is that I never thought of Day By Day’s flaws as, well, flaws. Did the plot tend to meander, which sudden narrative events coming out of nowhere? Yep. Was the majority of the action described to the reader after it had already happened? Yep again. But as I said in my review of that book, these things gave the novel a uniquely authentic feel. The plot and structure did not adhere to what one would expect from a novel, and as such the book felt like a genuine diary, instead of a book in diary form. This, for me anyway, lent to the book a level of suspense that it might otherwise have lacked.

Beyond Exile, however, reads like somebody took Bourne aside and explained that if he was going to be writing books then he’d best start learning the rules. The result feels very forced. Day by Day meandered, yes, but it felt natural, things happened randomly just like they do in real life. But Beyond Exile has a rather more structured plot, and when reading the book you can feel the author pushing his characters here and there. This neatly robs the book of the genuine diary charm, and without that the story definitely suffers.

And despite all this talk of structured plotting, I actually doubt that Bourne sat down beforehand and plotted this book out. Obviously I don’t know how it went down, but I’d bet money that both books were written in one go with no structured plan, but with Day by Day he was maybe ignorant of the “rules,” and with his sophomore effort a little bit too aware of them.

For example, early in the book a metric crap tonne of new characters (metric crap tonne being the academic term) are introduced and through a few highly coincidental plot twists our still unnamed narrator is put in charge of all of them. But you can practically hear the cogs turning in Bourne’s mind, realising that a man in command of many lives, who orders others to go do dangerous things instead of doing them himself, maybe isn’t the best POV character. But instead of rewriting the plot, he just twists it around until the problem is solved. As I’ve said already, it feels very forced.

But the book is not wholly flawed. A new character is introduced who I found very interesting, an Arab man who teams up with our Hero. Bourne skilfully toys with the reader, making us wonder “is he a terrorist? Isn’t he?” Which, I know, sounds like is could be awful and more than a little offensive, but works really well. I also like how the Hero’s relationship with a character from the first book develops into more, but almost entirely off screen. It gives the impression that there’s a lot more going on in his life than what he puts down on paper.

The ending? Pretty much as non existent as the first, neatly setting up the third book. Will I be reading that book? Yes. But I hope that Bourne develops a little confidence in his writing to write what he wants, and all “rules” be dammed. ( )
  MeganDawn | Jan 18, 2016 |
Didn't see that ending coming... I don't necessarily mean that in a good way... ( )
  MeriwetherR | May 19, 2014 |
This was the perfect read after my last book on the history of cancer. This is a no-brainer - zombie joke intended! Fast paced, action filled adventure. It reminded me of those old cliff-hanger, pulp novels. Don't look for something deep just enjoy the ride. ( )
  revslick | Feb 8, 2013 |

A strong addition to the Day by Day Armageddon series by J.L. Bourne. Fair warning: Once you start "Beyond Exile", you'll be useless until you finish the book. The author is doing a great job with the series. So far it has been a lot of fun.

The dead are rising to claim the Earth as the new dominant species in the foodchain. One man trapped in the midst of global disaster must make decisions that ultimately mean life, or the eternal curse to walk as one of them.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,245,072 books! | Top bar: Always visible