Beyond Exile by J. L. Bourne

Didn't see that ending coming... I don't necessarily mean that in a good way... ( )
  MeriwetherR | May 19, 2014 |
This was the perfect read after my last book on the history of cancer. This is a no-brainer - zombie joke intended! Fast paced, action filled adventure. It reminded me of those old cliff-hanger, pulp novels. Don't look for something deep just enjoy the ride. ( )
  revslick | Feb 8, 2013 |
The sequel didn't really work after the first book. ( )
2 vote wifilibrarian | Oct 8, 2012 |
This series of (I think now three) is excellent. The first two have the same characters (haven't gotten my hands on #3 yet). Fast paced, likeable/relatable characters, and enjoyable storyline. I don't know if I'd say anything in either book was 'groundbreaking'... but both stories were very well written/paced and were excellent zombie stories. IMO some of the best zombie novels I've read.. top 5 for sure. ( )
  ft_ball_fn | Jun 20, 2012 |
Beyond Exile is the sequel to one of the more memorable zombie novels I've read. I was so happy to finally get the next piece of John What's-His-Name's struggle for survival in a post-apocalyptic world infested by zombies.

Fortunately it was (mostly) well worth the wait. The bulk of the novel is just as compelling as the first one. It has all the excitement and danger any zombie novel ought to and the journal format adds to the intensity of the narrative. Granted because it's a journal and it's in past tense you know the main character is going to make it through everything, but you know that about most books you read and all his companions are still fair game for becoming zombie food.

I won't spoil anything, but the ending is such a crazy out-of-nowhere curve ball that I'm a little unsure about the rest of the series. Yes, I will absolutely read them, but I think I'll be approaching the third installment with the teensiest amount of trepidation. This one, however, gets 4 stars. ( )
  Ape | Jan 19, 2012 |

A strong addition to the Day by Day Armageddon series by J.L. Bourne. Fair warning: Once you start "Beyond Exile", you'll be useless until you finish the book. The author is doing a great job with the series. So far it has been a lot of fun.

The dead are rising to claim the Earth as the new dominant species in the foodchain. One man trapped in the midst of global disaster must make decisions that ultimately mean life, or the eternal curse to walk as one of them.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,781,375 books! | Top bar: Always visible