The Guardian by Mary Calmes

The Guardian

by Mary Calmes

three stars. I found this book to be good. It has the fame feels as her other novels, but the medieval aspect threw me a little. ( )
  Penny01 | Feb 1, 2014 |
I have to say that this author knows how to create an intriguing world. I loved the character of Jude. He is someone that we all can relate. He does not know his own appeal and folks just want to be with him.

Now, that being said, I did feel like the ending was rushed. This book could easily been twice as long as we went through the war. To me, it was a waste of a chance and we could have had some great character development. As it was, it was pretty much, "grrr you mate! I protect!". Mehh.

Overall, I enjoyed the book though and will continue to seek out books by this author! ( )
  Bea_writer | Sep 21, 2013 |
I love Calmes' shifter romances, so when I saw she had another paranormal romance in print I didn't hesitate. Yep, the two protagonists are once again Mary-Sue, too good to be true. However, that is a staple in the author's work and one I don't mind because she usually has so much else to offer (detailed world-building, good supporting cast).

Though I did enjoy it, I felt this was weak compared to Change of Heart - especially in the world-building. It actually felt more like a time travel story than a paranormal. Jude is a PR rep in Chicago. Eoin is a shifter from an alternate realm - a realm that is decidedly medieval. Nothing wrong with that except that aside from appearing as a dog in the first part of the story, and the "we're destined mates" bit, the paranormal aspect is negligible. Eoin's a warrior, and his duty to his Baroness is the cause of the couple's brief angst. Jude crosses into Eoin's realm to discover they are mates, they are separated by a war, and then Eoin crosses back to become a kid in King Arthur's court. This part was actually the most entertaining (Eoin's fascination with modern conveniences), but was sadly rushed at the end and not fully developed. The couple really had no connection beyond the sex. And while the scenes were hot, they lost their impact when there was nothing else for the couple to build on.

Overall, this was a good story to pass an afternoon but did not pull me in the way Calmes' other books have. I don't regret buying it, but I probably won't reread it as I do her other work. Recommended to fans of the author, or in e-book format. ( )
  jshillingford | Mar 21, 2011 |
This is the second book I read by Mary Calmes, and while the first one was good, but maybe I felt still like it was a debut novel, The Guardian feels way more accomplished. As in the previous novel there are strong yaoi influence in the novel, but not the usual seme / uke pair, maybe more that yaoi novels where the innocent young boy discovers that his pet is not exactly what it seems. Only that here, the young boy is not so young, but he still preserves all the physical traits of that pretty boy.

Jude is a successful PR working in marketing, he is very handsome but not in a blatant way, he is the type of man that at first you didn’t look twice, but then he enters under your skin, and before you realize it, you are addicted. It happens so that, when Jude’s boss changes, the new boss is more interested in Jude’s partner, than in him. And Jude, diplomacy is not his strength, decides to dump both lover than job. While he is commiserating himself, he feels the strong need to help a stray dog, a very big stray dog. Everyone seems scared by “Joe”, but not Jude: from the first moment the big dog heralds himself Jude’s guardian and Joe has only two things in mind, protect Jude and avoid that anyone else come near him.

Obviously Joe is not a dog, he is a creature from a fantasy parallel world and his name is Eoin. In his world Eoin is indeed both a Guardian than a beast, he is born as a dog, and was given to a noble family to be raised as the Guardian of the house. He is able to shift between man and dog, but indeed he was raised and he still lives like a dog. He has no family, he was separated from them when he was only few weeks old; then he was trained to be a warrior and to not have a personal interest if not the one of the family that owns him. He is not treated bad, but indeed he is no more than a pet: he is fed and dressed, sometime also petted, but no more than that. Eoin doesn’t know family, and so when he meets Jude, and recognizes in him his cairn, his heart, his mate, Eoin has only one thing in mind, to make him happy, and obviously means for Jude to be with him.

Jude is a nice man, but I think he is also very lucky and sometime unaware of the world. I have the feel that he has not had so many bad experiences in life, and even loosing his boyfriend was not bad after, he was not the right man for him. Jude has a good job, that he likes, a family that love and support him and friends who are willing to deal with him when he is in a swinging mood. Even when he finds himself in a fantasy world, a medieval nightmare for everyone else, he takes it almost like a special holiday, like he is in a themed amusement park. But Eoin doesn’t want him to change, Eoin loves him exactly like that, his oblivious cute little mate.

elisa.rolle | Mar 9, 2010 |
This one is for my husband, who thinks he doesn't help, for Elizabeth and Lynn at Dreamspinner, who do, and for my family and friends, for all theirs.
It was hard to explain what it was that woke him.

From Dreamspinner Press:Jude Shea's life is turned upside down when he rescues a dog he names Joe. Even though Jude has enough trouble taking care of himself--he doesn't even have a job--he can't resist the animal that needs him. Then one night, a man shows up on his doorstep looking to claim Jude's new companion. As they run from a surprise attack, Jude finds out that "Joe" is not what he seems. Eoin Thral is a guardian from an alternate dimension, and once he leads Jude through the veil that separates their worlds, he transforms into a handsome hulk of a man known for his fighting skills, not the capacity for love. Jude finds himself immersed in Eoin's world, and he's faced with the fight of his life to secure a happy future for them both.

Jude Shea's life is turned upside down when he rescues a dog he names Joe. Even though Jude has enough trouble taking care of himself, he doesn't even have a job but he can't resist the animal that needs him. Then one night, a man shows up on his doorstep looking to claim Jude's new companion. As they run from a surprise attack, Jude finds out that "Joe" is not what he seems. Eoin Thral is a guardian from an alternate dimension, and once he leads Jude through the veil that separates their worlds, he transforms into a handsome hulk of a man known for his fighting skills, not the capacity for love. Jude finds himself immersed in Eoin's world, and he's faced with the fight of his life to secure a happy future for them both.… (more)

16 wanted2 pay1 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,155,915 books! | Top bar: Always visible