The Guardian by Mary Calmes

The Guardian

by Mary Calmes

I feel I need to write a brief review for this one. I really liked this book - in fact I liked it better than [b:Change of Heart|7129023|Change of Heart (Change of Heart, #1)|Mary Calmes|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1257956449s/7129023.jpg|7391115]. I expected to not like it based on all the reviews and spoilers I read. So for several months this book sat on my to-read list. Finally I bought it and read it, and I kept waiting to not like the story but that never happened.
I have read quite a bit of Mary Calmes' stuff - one of my most favorite series of books ever are the [b:A Matter of Time|7090484|A Matter of Time (#1)|Mary Calmes|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1257198839s/7090484.jpg|7346614] books, but I haven't loved her other books that much. They're okay - just not my favorites. So once again I find myself asking why did this book disappoint so many and I enjoyed so much? I guess it really doesn't matter - I am however looking forward to re-reading it again. ( )
  PaisleyH | Jan 12, 2016 |
  PaisleyH | Jan 12, 2016 |
three stars. I found this book to be good. It has the fame feels as her other novels, but the medieval aspect threw me a little. ( )
  Penny01 | Feb 1, 2014 |
I have to say that this author knows how to create an intriguing world. I loved the character of Jude. He is someone that we all can relate. He does not know his own appeal and folks just want to be with him.

Now, that being said, I did feel like the ending was rushed. This book could easily been twice as long as we went through the war. To me, it was a waste of a chance and we could have had some great character development. As it was, it was pretty much, "grrr you mate! I protect!". Mehh.

Overall, I enjoyed the book though and will continue to seek out books by this author! ( )
  Bea_writer | Sep 21, 2013 |
I love Calmes' shifter romances, so when I saw she had another paranormal romance in print I didn't hesitate. Yep, the two protagonists are once again Mary-Sue, too good to be true. However, that is a staple in the author's work and one I don't mind because she usually has so much else to offer (detailed world-building, good supporting cast).

Though I did enjoy it, I felt this was weak compared to Change of Heart - especially in the world-building. It actually felt more like a time travel story than a paranormal. Jude is a PR rep in Chicago. Eoin is a shifter from an alternate realm - a realm that is decidedly medieval. Nothing wrong with that except that aside from appearing as a dog in the first part of the story, and the "we're destined mates" bit, the paranormal aspect is negligible. Eoin's a warrior, and his duty to his Baroness is the cause of the couple's brief angst. Jude crosses into Eoin's realm to discover they are mates, they are separated by a war, and then Eoin crosses back to become a kid in King Arthur's court. This part was actually the most entertaining (Eoin's fascination with modern conveniences), but was sadly rushed at the end and not fully developed. The couple really had no connection beyond the sex. And while the scenes were hot, they lost their impact when there was nothing else for the couple to build on.

Overall, this was a good story to pass an afternoon but did not pull me in the way Calmes' other books have. I don't regret buying it, but I probably won't reread it as I do her other work. Recommended to fans of the author, or in e-book format. ( )
  jshillingford | Mar 21, 2011 |
This one is for my husband, who thinks he doesn't help, for Elizabeth and Lynn at Dreamspinner, who do, and for my family and friends, for all theirs.
It was hard to explain what it was that woke him.

From Dreamspinner Press:Jude Shea's life is turned upside down when he rescues a dog he names Joe. Even though Jude has enough trouble taking care of himself--he doesn't even have a job--he can't resist the animal that needs him. Then one night, a man shows up on his doorstep looking to claim Jude's new companion. As they run from a surprise attack, Jude finds out that "Joe" is not what he seems. Eoin Thral is a guardian from an alternate dimension, and once he leads Jude through the veil that separates their worlds, he transforms into a handsome hulk of a man known for his fighting skills, not the capacity for love. Jude finds himself immersed in Eoin's world, and he's faced with the fight of his life to secure a happy future for them both.

Jude Shea's life is turned upside down when he rescues a dog he names Joe. Even though Jude has enough trouble taking care of himself, he doesn't even have a job but he can't resist the animal that needs him. Then one night, a man shows up on his doorstep looking to claim Jude's new companion. As they run from a surprise attack, Jude finds out that "Joe" is not what he seems. Eoin Thral is a guardian from an alternate dimension, and once he leads Jude through the veil that separates their worlds, he transforms into a handsome hulk of a man known for his fighting skills, not the capacity for love. Jude finds himself immersed in Eoin's world, and he's faced with the fight of his life to secure a happy future for them both.… (more)

18 wanted2 pay1 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,083,988 books! | Top bar: Always visible