Spaghetti in a Hot Dog Bun: Having the…

Spaghetti in a Hot Dog Bun: Having the Courage to Be Who You Are (edition 2012)

by Maria Dismondy, Kimberly Shaw-Peterson (Illustrator)

1954460,388 (4.38)1
Member:hhuget
Title:Spaghetti in a Hot Dog Bun: Having the Courage to Be Who You Are
Authors:Maria Dismondy
Other authors:Kimberly Shaw-Peterson (Illustrator)
Info:Maria Dismondy Inc. (2012), Edition: Reprint, Hardcover, 32 pages

Spaghetti in A Hot Dog Bun: Having the Courage to Be Who You Are by Maria Dismondy

In a fun-loving way this book shows kids that it's perfectly fine to be who you are and though others may make fun of you for it, it's all about how you feel in your own skin.
  avianuhhh | May 22, 2017 |
Summary:
Spaghetti in a Hotdog Bun, is a cute and funny take about loving who you are, and being kind to others. The story follows a young girl named Lucy, who has big curly hair, and who likes to eat things that others may not think is good. Her favorite sandwhich is spaghetti in a hot dog bun. Lucy lives with her Papa Gino, and he has taught her that everyone has a heart, and everyone has feelings, so you must be kind to everyone. In school, Lucy is being picked on by a grumpy boy named Ralph. Ralph makes fun of Lucy’s hair, and what she eats; it causes Lucy to cry and to feel bad. One day Ralph gets stuck on the monkey bars, and Lucy decides to be the bigger person, and help him down. As Lucy goes home that day, Ralph gives her an picture he colored, and Lucy is so proud of herself for being a kind person.

Personal Reactions:
I thought that Spaghetti in a Hotdog Bun, was a very charming story. The vivid illustrations were beautiful to look at, and I loved how the illustrator created Lucy and her big hair. I grew up having self esteem issues, and I know how looking different can affect a child. I think it is a crucial lesson to learn how to love yourself for you are, and to love the differences in everyone else. That lesson is perfectly conveyed in this story, and I loved reading it to all my children.

Extension Ideas:
This story is the perfect story to teach about how to except others for who they are. One activity that I have found, and that I would love to do with my class, is to pass out a cut out of spaghetti in a hotdog bun. On one side of the bun, each student has to write something that they may like, but others may not. On the other side, they have to write something that they don’t like, but others do; then we will share with the class. In the story what made Lucy unique and “different”, was her bigger hair, as well as her taste in food. A fun activity to do with the class is to do a collage on what makes each child unique. I would gather up magazines for the students to look through, and find pictures that represent them. Then we will each show the class our collages, and talk about what makes us unique and different than everyone else. ( )
  KaylaRoseDyer | Mar 26, 2017 |
Lucy is a one of a kind girl who likes things that are a little...odd and Ralph the mean boy in her class loves to point that out. But when Ralph is in trouble Lucy takes the high road and helps him despite how mean he was to her. Ages 4-11
  Myocom89 | Mar 22, 2017 |
Lucy is a red head and Ralph makes fun of her because of her unique characteristics. Ralph was going through his own struggles and Lucy's find that out. She helps him and they become friends in the end.
  LorieZ03 | Mar 21, 2017 |
A story about a little girl Lucy who likes to mix things to eat. She likes things that that others would think it's not a good mix. Kids make fun of her lunch at school but her dad shows her that it doesn't matter what you like, we are all the same inside.
Ages 4-6
Pierce College Library ( )
  ivettja | Mar 21, 2017 |

Lucy's grandpa has always taught her the importance of treating others the way you would want to be treated, and that it's okay to be different. When Lucy's classmate Ralph starts teasing her at school, Lucy makes a very courageous decision to stand up for herself and what she believes.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,441,996 books! | Top bar: Always visible