The Disappearing Spoon: And Other True Tales…

by Sam Kean

Title:The Disappearing Spoon: And Other True Tales of Madness, Love, and the History of the World from the Periodic Table of the Elements
Authors:Sam Kean
Info:Back Bay Books (2011), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 416 pages
Tags:science, chemistry, elements, Kindle, DDCC

The Disappearing Spoon: And Other True Tales of Madness, Love, and the History of the World from the Periodic Table of the Elements by Sam Kean

@disappearing_spoon +immortal_life
  Lorem | Sep 28, 2015 |
Great book that links the periodic table of elements with the stories behind its formation. ( )
  LJMax | Aug 21, 2015 |
I noticed this book when shelving it at the library where I work, and thought it looked interesting, so when I had space on my card I checked it out.

This was an ambitious read for me - Science has never been my strongest subject. It was therefore quite hard work at times, definitely not something to dip into casually. Nevertheless, I found it fascinating. Some things I'd heard about before, such as Graham Young the poisoner, who I remembered from the film of his life 'The Young Poisoner's Handbook'. Other things were totally new. I'm not sure how much I'll remember about all the elements, but certain 'nuggets' will stay with me. I'm glad I read it. I would only recommend it to science buffs, though, as it did get very technical. ( )
  Helen_Earl | Aug 6, 2015 |
Did you enjoy the periodic table of the elements as much as I did when you were a child? Of course you didn't! Therefore, despite the absolute wonderfulness of this book, and its fascinating tidbits and stories and mind-blowing facts, I'm recommending it only for people who are actually interested in this corner of the physics world. If you are, this book will be very, very enjoyable and rewarding. The writer's passion for the material is absolutely transparent and he imbues the pages with total appreciative awe.
  MartinBodek | Jun 11, 2015 |
This was at least 3 if not more, but a 2 on my experience because unfortunately I listened to the audio edition which was very nicely done, but the subject matter was not a good mix with driving. I would have had to approach it like it was a textbook to really appreciate it properly, I just couldn't retain from chapter to chapter what was going on with the all the names of scientists and elements and years and data. I often enjoyed the author's vocabulary, and enjoyed the author's notes. I did think there would be more in the way of quirky little stories though based on how it was presented. ( )
  MaureenCean | May 10, 2015 |

Kean, Samprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Staehle, WillCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Information from the Estonian Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to your language.
As a child in the early 1980s, I tended to talk with things in my mouth—food, dentist's tubes, balloons that would fly away, whatever—and if no one else was around, I'd talk anyway.
Never underestimate spite as a motivator for genius.

(from the book jacket) Why did Gandhi hate iodine (I, 53)? Why did the Japanese kill Godzilla with missiles made of cadmium (Cd, 48)? How did radium (Ra, 88) ruin Marie Curie’s reputation? And why did tellurium (Te, 52) lead to the most bizarre gold rush in history?
The periodic table is one of our crowning scientific achievements, but it’s also a treasure trove of passion, adventure, betrayal, and obsession. The fascinating tales in The Disappearing Spoon follow carbon, neon, silicon, gold, and every single element on the table as they play out their parts in human history, finance, mythology, conflict, the arts, medicine, and the lives of the (frequently) mad scientists who discovered them.
Why did a little lithium (Li, 3) help cure poet Robert Lowell of his madness? And how did gallium (Ga, 31) become the go-to element for laboratory pranksters? The Disappearing Spoon has the answers, fusing science with the classic lore of invention, investigation, discovery, and alchemy, from the big bang through the end of time.
Talk of chemistry / usually bores me to tears / But here's Godzilla! (MiaCulpa)

The periodic table of the elements is a crowning scientific achievement, but it's also a treasure trove of passion, adventure, obsession, and betrayal. These tales follow carbon, neon, silicon, gold, and all the elements in the table as they play out their parts in human history. The usual suspects are here, like Marie Curie (and her radioactive journey to the discovery of polonium and radium) and William Shockley (who is credited, not exactly justly, with the discovery of the silicon transistor)--but the more obscure characters provide some of the best stories, like Paul Emile François Lecoq de Boisbaudran, whose discovery of gallium, a metal with a low melting point, gives this book its title: a spoon made of gallium will melt in a cup of tea.--From publisher description.… (more)

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,780,555 books! | Top bar: Always visible