My Brother Sam is Dead by James Lincoln…

My Brother Sam is Dead (1975)

by James Lincoln Collier, Christopher Collier (Author)

abcx-mhs160; on the ALA banned book list, read for the banned book challenge. I read this as a child, but didn't remember hardly any of it. I think it represented the revolutionary war fairly, calling upon the reader to really think and judge what happened on BOTH sides during the war. Will release for the banned books challenge. ( )
  nancynova | Mar 24, 2014 |
Newbery Honor Book. RGG: Told by a adolescent boy, a recounting of the impact of the American Revolution on one Connecticut family, esp. focused on the Tory vs. Patriot perspective. Many actual historical figures are woven in. Not great literature, but very informative.
  rgruberexcel | Sep 8, 2013 |

This book was kind of traumatizing. People normally read this in school? ( )
  scote23 | Mar 30, 2013 |
W...T...F? Gah. I hated the way this ended; it just felt so cheap. We obviously know (from the title) that Sam is going to die, but the way in which the authors chose to kill him just felt so ridiculously wrong (not wrong as in unconscionable, but wrong as in poorly thought-out). Yes, I am aware that people actually died in this way, but it wasn't a common way to die by any means. Yes, I'm aware the populace should be aware that things like that actually happen in war, but I feel like ancillary events should be told through ancillary characters (they should have had a lesser character die this way). It would have been far more appropriate to have him die for desertion, disease, or actual battle wounds. I dunno; the way it turned out, I feel as though it would have been no less a worse ending if they simply had him trip and break his neck on a march or something.

On a side note, the epilogue from "Timmy" contained one piece of interesting information I wish more adults and books would address with children; was the Revolutionary War necessary? The vast majority of people you meet never even consider it a possibility; it's just something that had to happen. After studying WWI though (and especially after reading Johnny Got His Gun), I've become thoroughly convinced that the Revolutionary War was unnecessary. Yes, the taxation was bad, but I feel remaining British subjects would have saved us many hardships down the line; no Civil War, slavery would have ended before it got to its worse, relations with Native Americans would have been slightly better, we would have entered WWI and WWII sooner (potentially ending them sooner), and, judging by other British colonies, we probably would have ended up independent anyway (and a bit more liberal than we are at the moment and possibly with universal healthcare!). ( )
  benuathanasia | Feb 22, 2013 |
  rgruberexcel | Oct 1, 2012 |
My Brother Sam Is Dead
My Brother Sam Is Dead Is about two brothers named Tim and Sam. Sam left to join the Continental Army because his dad yelled and screamed at him. He got tired of getting yelled at and ran away. His father disliked the army he went to. Their family was making a descent living at the time. Sam came home one day and visited his family for a couple of hours, but his father pleased to see him but lectured him about the Army he was at. Sam left and said his goodbyes. A few days after Sam’s leave an old wise man gave Tim a letter to give to Sam’s chief. So Tim was on his way when he meets with Sam’s girlfriend she got very curious and asked Tim to open it, but Tim kept his promise he gave to the old wise man. She tackled Tim and took the letter and opened it and found out it was his plan all that time. Well wants Tim came home from his long journey his dad told everyone that he was going to round up the Cattle and take them down to an old selling place to sell them to the British. Tim wanted to go with his dad but said no. After a few days of begging his dad he finally let in. They rode their horses down to the selling place. While they were riding they met with some mean cowboys that threatened to shoot Tim’s dad. They told Tim to go wait in a field. They let Tim’s father pass and they carried on. They stayed at one of Tim’s dad’s closest friend that he used to hang out with. On the journey back they met with the cowboys again but this time they took Tim’s dad and put him on a prison boat. Tim had to ride the trip back. Once he told his mother she was devastated at what happened. A few days later they found out that the Father died from poisonous gas most of all prisoners died. A week or so Sam came back home and was disgusted at what the cowboys did to his father. His Army stayed in groups one in a church and others in people’s houses. Sam and Tim met in the church and broke down and cried. Later on Sam came to visit his parents. They heard a weird noise and I came from the barn. They sprinted out to the barn and noticed that one of the cows were dead and all the meat was gone from it. Well Sam got accused for taking the cow and was put in prisons and was to get hung. Tim ran down to the county police department and told them the story but they wouldn’t take his word because he was only a 12 year old boy. So the mother marched down and told them but yet again they didn’t believe her. After that Tim tried to save his brother but was shot multiple times. But Tim believes that his brother was a brave solider and died for something that he didn’t do.
added by Dawson.dbes1541 | editgermany, beshears.dawson (Oct 27, 2011)

James Lincoln Collierprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Collier, ChristopherAuthormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Brown, John C.Narratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
DiCesare, JoeCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Sally and Ned, who live there
It was April, and outside in the dark the rain whipped against the windows of our tavern, making a sound like muffled drums.

The classic story of one family torn apart by the Revolutionary War -- now with special After Words bonus features!

All his life, Tim Meeker has looked up to his brother Sam. Sam's smart and brave -- and is now a part of the American Revolution. Not everyone in town wants to be a part of the rebellion. Most are supporters of the British -- including Tim and Sam's father.
With the war soon raging, Tim know he'll have to make a choice -- between the Revolutionaries and the Redcoats . . . and between his brother and his father.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:57:22 -0400)

Recounts the tragedy that strikes the Meeker family during the American Revolution when one son joins the rebel forces while the rest of the family tries to stay neutral in a Tory town.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,555,129 books! | Top bar: Always visible