The Mountain Place of Knowledge by Marshall…

The Mountain Place of Knowledge (edition 2007)

by Marshall Chamberlain

36None311,268 (3.2)1 / 1
Member:jdgarner68
Title:The Mountain Place of Knowledge
Authors:Marshall Chamberlain
Info:The Grace Publishing Group (2007), Hardcover, 404 pages
Rating:***1/2

The Mountain Place of Knowledge by Marshall Chamberlain

Can't say that my review is going to be any different than the other ones I've seen. I was very excited to receive this book on early reviewers. It sounded like an interesting concept: finding out what is going on in places like Mayan ruins, fault lines in Africa, and other heightened areas, but the the story isn't fully committed to being sci-fi, but is too out there to be anything but. It wasn't the easiest book to get through, very muddled and unclear on the direction the story is taking, and to be honest, the best part of the story is when ****SPOILER ALERT***** the bad guy gets into the mountain. ( )
  kristincedar | Mar 2, 2014 |
Close your eyes and imagine that you’re in the Mayan Mountains of Belize and see a flash of blue light that drills a hole thru the head of a U.N. official searching for a secret entrance to the inside of a mountain. Scientists, an ex-Marine turned geology professor, and a strong and determined lady expert who’s into microbiology and computer science, are sent to investigate. This journey for the hidden mountain entrance shows strange metal scrolls, a staff containing wonderous powers, and a set of controls for the blue-light of destruction. Inside a set of strange caverns, a set of bizarre mental clues pushes the U.N. Representatives to exciting and dangerous experiences. Belize, the United Nations, NATO, and the United States work together to protect the mountain’s ancient hi-tech secrets from exploitation. But one nation (China) determines the mountain poses a threat to world order and is prepared to take whatever risks to secure this potential source of great power for itself alone. This a fantastic look into where we've come as a human race and maybe why. ( )
  Elliot1822 | Aug 2, 2013 |
I received this book from Member Giveaways.

It took me awhile to read this book because it was sent to me in PDF format and converting it to epub really messed up the formatting (paragraph breaks in the middle of the sentence for instance). I couldn't find the book on my ereader either (it ended up being a problem with the software reading the title, so it put the book after Z, where I'd never think to look for it). Reading it on the computer was difficult because if I ever had to reboot my computer the file would close and Adobe Reader doesn't remember what page the viewer was last on. Finally, I was able to read it on Aldiko on my tablet, which would remember what page I was on, but every time I opened the file, I had to change the size as the font was too small (though very pretty) for ereading purposes.

All that to send a message to the author: please make your books available in epub or mobi and forget PDF! The typography is very nice (main text font and the chapter headings), but it works better in a print format--I'm sure I'd really enjoy a physical version of the book.

I liked the premise of the story. I liked the no-nonsense approach to the interactions between the main characters. There were, however, too many characters/factions/viewpoints/motivations, and it got confusing. There was some really interesting concepts and technologies, and I liked the overlapping needs of archeology, linguistics, history, mythology, and translation. The metaphysical nature--of both the aliens and the monk--was the most interesting to me. Sadly, not enough time was spent on these two fascinating aspects, and too much time was spent on the espionage and intrigue of who was going to control the artifacts.

The hardest thing for me to appreciate was the ending. Nothing is resolved or even promised further study. It ends with the least interesting character getting what he deserves. Frankly, I'd like to know more about Kip. And Browning, for that matter. ( )
  leesalogic | Apr 13, 2013 |
Seemingly uncertain of its own genre

With a premise that was without a doubt interesting, this book could have been a whole lot better than it was. Teetering between science-fiction, political mystery/thriller and spiritual quest as the 'focus' of the story, the characterisation, descriptions and ultimately the plot of the story kind of got lost in the confusion.

A testament to this problem of seemingly too many disparate story lines came in the form of multiple endings. Just when you think the author is wrapping up, that you've reached the denouement of the tale, off you go again on another few pages of a second ending and a third... honestly I think I lost count.

However, I'd like to see this idea re-visioned, with a clearer genre as its focus, because the idea itself is sound, and could be engaging if written in a different way. ( )
  cedargrove | Jan 31, 2013 |
When I got this book I was fairly excited about the idea behind it, but as I started reading I found that my focus often wandered off. As a result it took me a lot longer to read than would be normal for a book of this size. Things in the story seemed too arranged at times, fairly convenient when they needed to be and that was a little off-putting in places. The characters seemed well thought out, but the plot was all over the place. I felt that the book couldn't decide if it wanted to be a story about extra terrestrial life or about the mystery of solving a murder or about finding a higher power, and after all of the "endings" that I went through to clean up all of these story lines the actual end left me thinking "All of that for this?"

There are parts of the book that were interesting and occasionally I had feelings for some of the main characters, but often I found myself wandering through the pages somewhat in a muddle, unsure of who anyone was or what anyone was doing. I think a better polished version of the same story would make an awesome read, I just wasn't captivated by the particular version I was given as an early reviewer.

Note: Though this book was a free gift from the author, the content of my review was in no way influenced by the gifting. The book speaks for itself and my review would have been worded just this way even if I'd gone out and bought it. ( )
  mirrani | Dec 22, 2012 |

A flash of mysterious blue light brings death to a U.N. official searching for a secret entrance to the inside of a Belizean mountain. Two U.N. scientists investigate, coming into possession of a scepter wielding miraculous powers, uncovering a blue-light source of destruction, and finding the hidden entrance. Inside strange sculpted caverns, bizarre mental prodding guides them to shocking experiences. To protect hi-tech secrets, cooperation is required from Belize, the United Nations, NATO, and the United States. But one nation determines the mountain poses a threat to world order and will take great risks to neutralize the danger.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:33:06 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,504,345 books! | Top bar: Always visible