Pray for Silence by Linda Castillo

Pray for Silence

by Linda Castillo

Recently added byprivate library, davejohnson, doctor.moonbeam, skyedude, suki1, Draak, BKPugh, RonSmedley

English (61)  German (3)  Dutch (2)  Danish (1)  All languages (67)
Pray For Silence was a good mystery on the whole, but it annoyed me several times. The first wasn't the author's fault. By coincidence, I'd listened to another book with the same evil scheme not long before listening to this one, so I spent a CD or two waiting for Kate Burkholder to figure out one of the reasons for the gruesome slaughter of a family.

A big revelation about the Painter Mills Chief of Police was no surprise. I do thank Ms. Castillo for not dragging it out as long as another writer once did.

It would be nice if current mystery writers would watch Mythbusters. I'm sure I'm not the only mystery fan who watches the show -- and then gets irked when an author uses a technique or phrase that's been disproved.

On the other hand, I did like the description of the debilitating effect an anxiety/panic attack can have on the person who suffers from them. (I was much luckier than Tomasetti when I had one while I was driving.) I also liked the unflinching way Ms. Castillo shows how Kate and John's boozing impairs their ability to do their jobs.

This book came out before we got to learn so much about police brutality. I cringed when Kate lost it with a bigot, but the fact that her own capacity for violence later disturbed her helped.

The villain was so smugly certain of his own superiority that it was really satisfying when Kate gets to tell him about a major mistake he made.

Like Kate, I felt very sorry for the naive Amish girl whom the villain exploited.

Bigotry played a large role in this mystery. It's rather ironic that bigotry saved the life of one member of the slain family.

This is a mystery well worth reading. My local library's copy of the third book, Breaking Silence, is already checked out and waiting. ( )
  JalenV | May 29, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I'm having a hard time finishing this book. The first few chapters are pretty gruesome. But I'm trying to finish it and will post a final review then.
  reneebooks | Mar 5, 2015 |
This was my first Castillo's book but definitely not the last one. It was a fast-paced enthralling reading. I'm overwhelmed that a thriller mustn't make one fearing but grabbing how the puzzle can be solved. All protagonists from the police have a special background history and therefore they seem so human.
A brutal homicid took place at an Amish farm and a whole family lost their lives. The police inspector Kate Burkholder who has an Amish background herself had to investigate. This case wasn't an easy task for her because their were a lot of parallels to her earlier life. ( )
  Ameise1 | Feb 15, 2015 |
This is another Amish murder mystery book in the Dectective Burkholder series. Intensely, vividly descriptive, at times I had to put the book down and take a break. When an entire family is murdered, including two daughters who are raped, tortured and brutally killed, at first there are no clues.

The slaughter seems senseless, and in particular the pretty daughter Mary is the most maimed.

With her lover/part-time boyfriend John Tomasetti, Kate Burkholder works with her team to slowly, methodically uncover the sad, sorid details of a young woman who strays from her Amish family rules and naively falls in love ... with the wrong person.

I'll continue to read the series, with the hope that not all are as brutal. ( )
  Whisper1 | Jan 18, 2015 |
A gripping and gruesomely detailed murder of an Amish Family in Painter's Mills Ohio. In the heart of Amish Country a small rural area where Kate Burkholder (former Amish) is the police chief. The Plank family is brutally murdered and it is up to Kate to figure out who and why.

This is the 2nd book in the series and carries all of the living characters over from the 1st book and continues with their story line. The author does an excellent job with description of the brutality and gruesomeness of the murders. I don't recommend this one for those with a weak stomach. However if that does not bother you. This is an excellent read. ( )
  MonicaLynn | Jan 16, 2015 |
“It’s shades of In Cold Blood when a family of seven is brutally murdered at their home in Painters Mill, Ohio. But the Plank family was Amish—and their teenage daughter was flirting outside the fold. Another chilling thriller by the author of 2009’s Sworn to Silence."
added by cmwilson101 | editPeople magazine
Painters Mill is an idyllic small town in Ohio’s Amish country. But even the most peaceful of landscapes is not immune to violent crime. The second installment in Castillo’s strong series (after Sworn to Silence, 2009) finds Police Chief Kate Burkholder once again face-to-face with pure evil. This time around it’s the murder of the Planks, an Amish family who invited trouble when pretty 15-year-old daughter Mary became enamored with a non-Amish man, who seduced her and documented their sexual episodes on tape. The case rattles Burkholder, who left the Amish faith as a teenager after she was raped by an Amish man. Helping her through the stressful investigation is John Tomasetti, a big-city cop battling his own demons (his wife and young daughters were murdered a few years before). The two had a brief affair, but time has passed and both have hesitations about rekindling the romance. They have plenty to distract them as they search for a killer who may have more sinister acts in store. Though the plot fizzles a bit at the end, a unique setting and a very human heroine make this a good recommendation for readers seeking an alternative to the urban whodunit.
added by cmwilson101 | editBooklist, Allison Block
Three may keep a secret, if two of them are dead. --Benjamin Franklin
Voor Ernest
Voor altijd samen
Officer Chuck "Skid" Skidmore wished he hadn't indulged in that last cup of coffee. If it wasn't for the new waitress at the diner, he would have stopped with just one.

New York Times bestselling author Linda Castillo delivers an electrifying thriller in which Chief of Police Kate Burkholder must confront a dark evil to solve the mysterious murders of an entire Amish family.

The Plank family moved from Lancaster, Pennsylvania, to join the small Amish community of Painters Mill less than a year ago and seemed the model of the Plain Life—until on a cold October night, the entire family of seven was found slaughtered on their farm.  Police Chief Kate Burkholder and her small force have few clues, no motive, and no suspect.  Formerly Amish herself, Kate is no stranger to the secrets the Amish keep from the English—and each other—but this crime is horribly out of the ordinary.

State agent John Tomasetti arrives on the scene to assist.  He and Kate worked together on a previous case during which they began a volatile relationship.  They soon realize the disturbing details of this case will test their emotional limits and force them to face demons from their own troubled pasts—and for Kate, a personal connection that is particularly hard to bear.

When she discovers a diary that belonged to one of the teenaged daughters, Kate is shocked to learn the girl kept some very dark secrets and may have been living a lurid double life.  Who is the charismatic stranger who stole the young Amish girl’s heart? Could the brother—a man with a violent past, rejected and shunned by his family and the Amish community, have come to seek out revenge?  As Kate’s outrage grows so does her resolve to find the killer and bring him to justice—even if it means putting herself in the line of fire.

Topping her own bestselling debut, Linda Castillo once again immerses us in the world of the Amish with a chilling story that is both a fast-paced thriller and intriguing psychological puzzle.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:22 -0400)

Chief of Police Kate Burkholder must confront a dark evil to solve the mysterious murders of an entire Amish family of seven. Formerly Amish herself, Kate is no stranger to the secrets the Amish keep from the English--and each other--but this crime is horribly out of the ordinary.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Pray for Silence by Linda Castillo was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,783,127 books! | Top bar: Always visible